Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I believe the “afl”
Contract clause looks at a 6 month maximum… so the talk is 300k. They are funded by afl, like a few clubs who are *smile* with finances and need assistance. If you need this then afl determines payout. If your good …then suffer they think.
Play their game and they fix ya issues. So 300k for Dew is what i hear is all that due.
Yes, you’re right there. That came in some time in 2020 (I think) after a bunch of costly and contentious payouts to sacked coaches who were on long term deals.

Well, $300k is chicken feed then to pay out the Big Mountain Dew.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you’re right there. That came in some time in 2020 (I think) after a bunch of costly and contentious payouts to sacked coaches who were on long term deals.

Well, $300k is chicken feed then to pay out the Big Mountain Dew.
It did come in a few years ago, that’s correct.
That’s why the AFL intervened with the specific payout clause .

This was directed at clubs such as the Saints, North and Carlton, if my memory was correct.

It did come in a few years ago, that’s correct.
That’s why the AFL intervened with the specific payout clause .

This was directed at clubs such as the Saints, North and Carlton, if my memory was correct.
Well pity for WCE then. Reports suggest Simpson signed a 5 year contract just before that 6 month maximum was introduced meaning WCE have to pay him out at full freight for 2024 and 2025. Then they have to pay not 75% of excess breach of the soft cap as I thought they did, but 200%.

If Simpson is on say $1m per year that’s say appx. $500k for the remainder of 23, then $2m for 24 and 25 collectively plus another $5m in luxury tax meaning they have to pay out in total appx. $7.5m and that’s before they pay another coach.

I could never understand why they kept him on after last year. Thought he’d get the flick in September 2022. Now I understand why they had to keep him. What a situation, geez.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Heard SEN talking up Mark Evans. Has had to sack the last 2 coaches he appointed. How does he still have a job?

Board buffoons been there 13 years with carte blanche and a mega budget and have acheived only failure, on and off field.

pretty late-onset crystal clarity.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure a reasonable man in the same circumstances would not be looking to go up north on big $ for a sad for all parties involved. won’t be the first or the last, relationships some times run their course

Know what you mean Niko.

Leysy and Redford's is about to as well.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Hardwick is getting what he deserves a huge pay day coaching a club that has no hope.
If reports are correct he will accept a 5 yr 1 mill year deal to coach that shitt club, he will be compensated for those years between 2010 -2016.
Hats off to him

Hardwick is getting what he deserves a huge pay day coaching a club that has no hope.
If reports are correct he will accept a 5 yr 1 mill year deal to coach that shitt club, he will be compensated for those years between 2010 -2016.
Hats off to him
What’s the most annoying is how much the AFL pump into the Suns , yet they sack a coach with 18 months left on a contract , put their hand out yet throw it away,

Poor old Fitzroy fans must be wondering,

As for Dimma , fair enough to getting a pay day as he deserves it , just didn’t need the theatrics of I’m a Richmond man , love of my life etc if moving on so quick.

No matter what though forever indebted for what he did for us.

Reactions: 4 users
Dimmas releasing a book in october.

'1002 sausage recipes: sub-tropical creative bbq'ery'

Get ready GC - players will be present, vulnerable, authentic, sticking to the process, yeah look all be so important to our football club, getting vinyl records every week,

And finishing 12th,

Cause he'll never have three player in the side, 3/4 as good as dusty cotchy jack rancey sheds lambo tom dion dylan danny or bachar.

And the Gold Coast Army is two MMA fighters with tattoos and shrivelled testicles, a melanoma meter maid and clive palmers neighbour.

But, hey! A blokes gotta make a living

Ill be a bit dissapointed if Dimma tarnishes the most dignified exit,

With a sleazy, rapid, re-entry.

We aint mugs, the brave tiger army,

But hey? We'll love him till the end of next week

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Early in 2023 Hardwick resigned from RFC effective end of 2023 season. Hardwick told us this in his big presser.

Some time after his in-contract resignation Hardwick told the club that he was walking out, citing sausage burnout.

Some time before the walk out presser Hardwick knew he would be out of work in 2024.

Two prospects presented themselves to him/his management. Port and GCS. I believe it is certain that he was entertaining these ideas at the time of his resignation. Not the walk out. Earlier.

First to Port. Port has the finest young list in the land with glaring weaknesses. I rate the likelihood of Hardwick’s achieving premiership success with that list, enhanced by his structure/balance/role plans, at close to 100%. Hardwick would rate it higher than that.

Hardwick’s earning potential over the next 20 years is optimal by taking the Port gig. By a long way. Let us not underestimate the appeal of three more premierships.

Gold Coast. Shaw has already asked the AFL if he can get ambassador money for a coach. I think they will have agreed to it.

Hardwick can get an extra 500k pa at GCS at a guess. Ambassador type money. The list is nowhere near as good in terms of top end talent but there is a better spread of youthful talent. They have a key forward and a key back. And will improve just with time. And more with Hardwick shaping them. Structure. Role. Strategy.

Port would be mad not to want Hardwick. *smile* insane. But Ken may send them to a minor premiership. Pretty hard to sack him.

What if they win the flag?

Hinkley would be insane not to cop a Port contract right now. Port has huge list holes that even in these days of mediocre top four sides may be exposed in the big city games. If he stays he can address those holes and go all the way.

Back to how Port might sack Hinkley. Even if he makes the GF but loses. They could still do it.

Hardwick knows his chances of landing the GCS job. It’s his if he wants it.

The Port job is the plum. How does he play his cards to get it? Looks unlikely atm and the GCS offer has a timer on it.

If he’s already accepted the GCS job, and he may have, some time ago, it’s about timing the announcement. A sense of decorum after the knifing of his bff Dew.

Reactions: 4 users
surprised GC re-signed Dew last year. Not sure he is a great coach. Perfect job for Dimma and I think he will make them contenders. They’re building a good list

Much to Redford's displeasure Caro was all over this last year. Yes, the execs were gonna sack him but were swayed by a group of senior players to keep him.

Another reason why when it comes to coaching reappointments you don't put too much weight on what players think or want.

Well pity for WCE then. Reports suggest Simpson signed a 5 year contract just before that 6 month maximum was introduced meaning WCE have to pay him out at full freight for 2024 and 2025. Then they have to pay not 75% of excess breach of the soft cap as I thought they did, but 200%.

If Simpson is on say $1m per year that’s say appx. $500k for the remainder of 23, then $2m for 24 and 25 collectively plus another $5m in luxury tax meaning they have to pay out in total appx. $7.5m and that’s before they pay another coach.

I could never understand why they kept him on after last year. Thought he’d get the flick in September 2022. Now I understand why they had to keep him. What a situation, geez.
Its ugly. Massive balls-up by WC, and the demeanour, vibe and actions of Simpson suggest, at this stage, he is hunkering down to collect every cent left on his contract. I've never understood Simpson. He has always come across to me as way out of his depth, uninspiring, unlikeable and barely competent.

It looks like a mexican stand-off. WC know they stuffed-up royaly and Simpson would know he has stumbled his way into an almighty bonanza. I can't see Simpson seeing out his whole contract, even if he is understandably, but not at all admirably, positioning himself as if he intends to. There is only so long that even the most hardened person can hang around where they are not wanted.

Reminds me of a story I heard about Des Tuddenham when he was sacked as South coach. Just kept turning up to take training until he was paid out, which took a fair while. He was a hardened person!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Dimmas releasing a book in october.

'1002 sausage recipes: sub-tropical creative bbq'ery'

Get ready GC - players will be present, vulnerable, authentic, sticking to the process, yeah look all be so important to our football club, getting vinyl records every week,

And finishing 12th,

Cause he'll never have three player in the side, 3/4 as good as dusty cotchy jack rancey sheds lambo tom dion dylan danny or bachar.

And the Gold Coast Army is two MMA fighters with tattoos and shrivelled testicles, a melanoma meter maid and clive palmers neighbour.

But, hey! A blokes gotta make a living

Ill be a bit dissapointed if Dimma tarnishes the most dignified exit,

With a sleazy, rapid, re-entry.

We aint mugs, the brave tiger army,

But hey? We'll love him till the end of next week
Ha ha, yeah once the 'Gold Coast Man' gets trotted out the shine will come off real quick.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Gold Coast are in far better shape than when Dimma took the RFC job. Plus there are some quality academy kids lurking. As @Brodders17 points out, the relationships with players was key. They'll be no Emma Murray and i don't think HHH and gifting rocks will help Gold Coast. No animosity to either Gold Coast are Dimma though.
Will be interesting to see if Dimma can replicate the mindfulness magic act at whichever club he goes. He himself has said the coach is only a part of the puzzle.
A boatload of great people around him made the Dimmasty. Not easy to replicate.
Let’s not forget many wanted him sacked in 2016.

Alternatively I look at Stewart Dew & I see a good coach but maybe he hasn’t had the support staff around him that’s generated the same success. By all reports his Football Manager Campbo was living in Sydney. I mean WTF?

Hardwick would be far better off going to Port than that plastic dump of a franchi$e up north. Way more chance of continuing success at a club he won a Premiership as a player. Importantly he’ll be invested too.

Reactions: 2 users
Find it a bit strange.
First, Dimma resigns, claiming burnout.
Not long after, states he would like to coach again.
Then, GC sack their coach.
Now, Dimma is the fave to get the gig.
All too comfy methinks.

Reactions: 6 users
Hardwick is Gold Coast's target. They went early on Dew because Harwick is available. Port have their hands tied.
Hardwick will get a juicy 5 year deal to set himself up for life.
Where would you rather live? Gold Coast or Adelaide?
Hardwick wanted a holiday. He’ll get a paid one at Surfer’s Paradise.

Whoever thinks this deal with Suns wasn't preplanned is living in fairyland Carro was on to it bigtime nothing to do with burnout as she said it was a change of club and Dimma is entitled to it. What I don't like is this bs burnout. I didn't buy it feels like he jumped ship a bit to. Forever great full for those flags , but his not immune to criticism.

Reactions: 9 users