Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Waiting for a @Stig report that Dimma sipping xxxx schooners at the Burleigh Pavillion with Mark Evans
Mark was there
Dimma no show
He is overseas . Good timing by GC to sack Dew and when Dimma ( can’t blame me ) Hardwick isn’t in the country.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I know on face value this appears harsh on Dew, but if it was the RFC and our head coach was 5 and a half years into a tenure without a finals appearance, how would we be reacting??? :unsure:

Reactions: 10 users
Dimma to the Suns was always the most likely scenario. I wish him well and he'll always be a Tiger Legend and welcome back at Punt Road.

It makes sense for us to have Dimma in charge of our Academy.

Reactions: 8 users
I know on face value this appears harsh on Dew, but if it was the RFC and our head coach was 5 and a half years into a tenure without a finals appearance, how would we be reacting??? :unsure:
Completely agree. Plus Dew has had access to elite young talent year after year. At some point you have to show results.

Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree. Plus Dew has had access to elite young talent year after year. At some point you have to show results.
exactly this. Has been the master of failing to take the next step. Had a dream run at the AFLs sheltered workshop. No brainer to hire Dimma.

Harsh on Dew. They got beat up by two good teams. The Carlton loss was bad though.

6 years should be enough time to establish some basic footy club culture

I think Dimma would want $2m a year package to subject himself to GCS.

And does he go back to sausage recipe no.1?

Or has a fortnight off completely rejuvenated his sausage creativity?

Im not terribly impressed with how this bird is waddling and quacking

Reactions: 4 users
This'll force a few other club's hand e.g. Port. Maybe WCE but you keep hearing WCE cant afford to offload Simpson.

Everyone keeps saying Port will extend Hinkley for another 2 years and he'll go around again with them, but if GC put 5 years in front of Hinkley (as opposed to Hooch) with that list and what's about to come in, then Port better get moving because its no absolute certainty that Hinkley would accept Port's offer over GC's. 5 years on a motza with that group v 2 with Port and a dhead President that's never been 100% on him ? Hmmm.

Port better cover their arse.

Reactions: 4 users
Think Hardwick will most likely land the GC role. Originally I thought Dusty would follow him, but not so sure now. Suspect Dusty may finish his career with us - seems unbelievably reinvested at the moment plus is only 17 games from being a 300 game player at the one club.

When I first heard that Dimma was planning on coaching again I wasn't too thrilled about it. But upon reflection it's the perfect break up scenario. Well always fondly reflect on our time together but the relationship wasn't working out long term and both parties are going to be happy separated. Good luck to Dimma, except when he's coaches against Richmond.

This'll force a few other club's hand e.g. Port. Maybe WCE but you keep hearing WCE cant afford to offload Simpson.

Everyone keeps saying Port will extend Hinkley for another 2 years and he'll go around again with them, but if GC put 5 years in front of Hinkley (as opposed to Hooch) with that list and what's about to come in, then Port better get moving because its no absolute certainty that Hinkley would accept Port's offer over GC's. 5 years on a motza with that group v 2 with Port and a dhead President that's never been 100% on him ? Hmmm.

Interesting Ken was the preferred option for GC ( thus contract talks put on hold )
Dimma met with Port during Gather Round weekend then left Punt Rd 4 weeks later
GC sack Dew know turns up the heat on Port to bring forward there contract talks with Ken ( that’s if they still want him )
Port have a tough month ahead and with injuries there run will come to end and they will drop games
So GC sack Dew
Dimma is in Europe when sacking is made
Who knows
Great game of chess
One thing for Certain
Dimma coaches either team next year

Interesting Ken was the preferred option for GC ( thus contract talks put on hold )
Dimma met with Port during Gather Round weekend then left Punt Rd 4 weeks later
GC sack Dew know turns up the heat on Port to bring forward there contract talks with Ken ( that’s if they still want him )
Port have a tough month ahead and with injuries there run will come to end and they will drop games
So GC sack Dew
Dimma is in Europe when sacking is made
Who knows
Great game of chess
One thing for Certain
Dimma coaches either team next year
5 year contract for Hooch at Port. 5 year contract for Hinkley at GC.

Everyone's a winner.

I'll be shocked if Dimma doesn't go to GC. Runs on the board, and unemployed.

GC management haven't yet learnt that the main advantage of a mid-season coach sacking is if the team is due to play Richmond in the following round. Simmo has been nervous ever since WC lost to Brisbane the other night. :D

• Haha
Maybe WCE but you keep hearing WCE cant afford to offload Simpson.
Wouldn't they just pay the footy soft cap tax if they wanted to give him the arse?
Twiggy Forest or whatever other mining magnate backing them can just drop a gold bar on McLachlans desk!

Reactions: 1 user
GC management haven't yet learnt that the main advantage of a mid-season coach sacking is if the team is due to play Richmond in the following round. Simmo has been nervous ever since WC lost to Brisbane the other night. :D
They ain't real quick on the uptake.

Wouldn't they just pay the footy soft cap tax if they wanted to give him the arse?
Twiggy Forest or whatever other mining magnate backing them can just drop a gold bar on McLachlans desk!
Think Twiggy supports Freo doesn't he ?

The sorts of numbers they're talking about with Simpson are extreme. He has another 2 years to run - 2024 and 2025. Then, you inevitably have to get rid of one or a few assistants/football staff as well because the new person wants to bring in some of their own people.

Doesn't seem harsh to me at face value, or any value you care to name. Armchair ride has come to an end. The benefits of coaching stability established by us has had bigger picture benefits for us by ensuring mediocre to poor opposition coaches are given a year or 3 more than they should get. But having said that, Dew could be GC version of Spud or Wallace by laying a foundation of stability.