Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Though I haven’t seen a ball as I’ve been “hiking “ Mt Buffalo I have to say today is probably one of the greatest days for Australian cricket and Sport
200.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Though I haven’t seen a ball as I’ve been “hiking “ Mt Buffalo I have to say today is probably one of the greatest days for Australian cricket and Sport
Reckon you're getting caught up in the hysteria there Brandon. Not even close to a top 10 day for Australian cricket or sport.

Reactions: 1 user
No the DRS shows the approximate place the ball would hit with a margin of error deemed to be half a ball width. So if a player is given not out then by definition the DRS cannot confirm that the player was out based on that margin of error.
I Think you're right Sin.
The image of a ball is simply a charade to make it interesting on the telly.
The real ball tracker program will have a single point on a flight path.
so the dot is the centre of the ball and if it hits then its out.
There is too great a tolerance/margin of error to confirm if its just nicked the stumps

Reckon you're getting caught up in the hysteria there Brandon. Not even close to a top 10 day for Australian cricket or sport.
It was a top ten day for a hell of a lot of Australian cricket fans though, no longer do we have to watch the little runt and his antics.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wonder how they program this DRS. Agree with Sajid, that was out. Simple Simon says more than 50% of the ball has to hit the stumps??? Any little touch of the ball on bails is out as long as they move.
But the ball tracking technology is currently not 100% perfect, there's still years worth of footage and data needed to refine the system to cope with all the possible variances and become millimetre precise. So for the time being there is a tolerance in the rules to allow for the smaller variations in tracking.

Less than half the ball looks like it might hit the stumps is umpires call, more than half the ball might hit the stumps is enough to over rule,,,,, simples.

P.S. the bails are allowed to move and it can still be not out. One of the bails has to actually break clear of it's position on the stumps to be out.

What’s the bet that Green will wind up opening?
Smith is all the talk for the opening job, and has said that he wants to.

Looks like the leading Sheffield Shield run scorer for the last two summers, Cameron Bancroft is going to have to wait until Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon have all retired before he gets another chance.

Looks like the leading Sheffield Shield run scorer for the last two summers, Cameron Bancroft is going to have to wait until Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon have all retired before he gets another chance.

Yet precious Warner gets a golden send off like few players before him.

Reactions: 3 users
Smith is all the talk for the opening job, and has said that he wants to.

I just remember Bancroft’s woeful technique in the 2019 Ashes tour. Thi terrible angled bat rubbish. I wonder if he’s improved it. Harris too has a major flaw outside his off stump.

We know now that some players need 2 or 3 goes before they establish themselves as test players so I’m not writing either Bancroft or Harris (or Renshaw) off. But I’m guessing they’ll go for Green but imo he’s too heavy handed to open.

Last edited:
I just remember Bancroft’s woeful technique in the 2029 Ashes tour. Thi terrible angled bat rubbish. I wonder if he’s improved it. Harris too has a major flaw outside his off stump.

We know now that some players need 2 or 3 goes before they establish themselves as test players so I’m not writing either Bancroft or Harris (or Renshaw) off. But I’m guessing they’ll go for Green but imo he’s too heavy handed to open.
Bancroft is a bit iffy outside off stump, but so are most batsmen. What I like him is when he gets in, he bats long.

Reckon you're getting caught up in the hysteria there Brandon. Not even close to a top 10 day for Australian cricket or sport
Not at all , though my statement is a bit tongue in cheek , the retirement of Warner makes it possible for myself and many others to actually watch cricket again. Warner is my despised Australian sportsman of all time . Sadly I read his going to be a commentator now …read the room Fox , this man is disliked , disrespected more then any other “ gun” Australian has been

No doubt he’s one of Australia’s better cricketers in the past 20 years, however as pointed out by many he’s stats are not quite as good as his reputation has us believe . Basically playing a man down overseas when he’s been in the team .

I have no doubt he’s done more harm then good for Australian cricket , hopefully with him gone Australia can stop been the most disliked cricketing nation , ok to be disliked but he’s caused us to be disrespected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Not at all , though my statement is a bit tongue in cheek , the retirement of Warner makes it possible for myself and many others to actually watch cricket again.

I figured this.

Sadly I read his going to be a commentator now …read the room Fox , this man is disliked , disrespected more then any other “ gun” Australian has been

Kane Cornes type commentator I am guessing.

he’s stats are not quite as good as his reputation has us believe . Basically playing a man down overseas when he’s been in the team .

So true. He averages under 32 when overseas.

hopefully with him gone Australia can stop been the most disliked cricketing nation , ok to be disliked but he’s caused us to be disrespected.

We have become pariahs since sandpaper gate.

I figured this.

Kane Cornes type commentator I am guessing.

So true. He averages under 32 when overseas.

We have become pariahs since sandpaper gate.
Meh. Like most sports around the world over the years, there's always been an evil villain at various times to keep the fans entertained. Sandpaper gate was no worse than a few other unsavoury periods in cricket.
Unfortunately we spent a lot of years promoting ourselves as the sanctimonious n self righteous upholders of everything that was pure and good about sport while often we were just as devious n narky as the rest.

Meh. Like most sports around the world over the years, there's always been an evil villain at various times to keep the fans entertained.

Yeah, but like Cornes, Warner will be the poor man version of the evil villain. I prefer the more witty, sophisticated and generally knowledgeable versions, like Stuart Broad.

Sandpaper gate was no worse than a few other unsavoury periods in cricket.

Unfortunately we spent a lot of years promoting ourselves as the sanctimonious n self righteous upholders of everything that was pure and good about sport while often we were just as devious n narky as the rest.

It was significantly worse because of your second point. And it directly involved an Australian Captain. It was blatant cheating that went directly against the tenets of the game.

IMO, Smith and Warner should never have been selected to play Test Cricket again.

I wonder if good all Dave, while he was patronised and lionised yesterday, while history was glossed over if not seemingly rewritten, even gave Bancroft a thought?

Remember him Dave? The kid whose career you destroyed? The kid who, while you sanctimoniously touched Phil Hughes' memorial plaque while going out to bat in full view of the cameras (of course), sat a million miles away bearing the only real punishment to come out of the sordid affair. He will never play Test Cricket again.

This is opportune, and some interesting names:

Joel Davies really could be anything if his batting develops. A left arm spinner who can really tweek them puts him into the conversation as a future test spinner given our penchant for leggies.