Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

The pitches have been too benign late in the tests, but we have got results so I suppose criticism is moot.

All 3 games very close and both teams have had players let them down. Australia needs to get more from our batters - Warner does not justify selection while Smith and Labuchagne need to get some runs. Plus, they need to have a good think about the bowling tactics. I understand the need to combat the English approach of aggressive batting and that we no longer have Lyon, but bowling short clearly has not worked. How do we combat their batting on a benign pitch? They need to go to work on how to get wickets given the batting and the pitches.

Lot of work for Australia to do, should win the series but England are a very good chance because all 3 wins have been close.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
The stats are damning against him, if he’s not dropped then the selectors have to cop any ramifications of more failures by him.
Indeed. The final two tests of the last Ashes tour (Old Trafford and The Oval) Warner contributed 0, 0, 5 and 11.

His feet have stopped moving. If there's any sideways movement he really shouldn't be picked.

Selectors are like footy and press gallery journos—they face no ramifications for being consistently wrong.

not for the first time, Warner is a massive management issue for this team

I reckon he has too much dirt (in a political sense) to be dropped

Yeah, really hoping he will be dropped but not expecting it. Green should replace him and they can rejig the top order.

Reactions: 1 users
Quite a lot of reports about the bad behaviour of boozed Headingly crowd. Sounds ugly. I've been to very raucous tests at the Gabba and never seen English fans cop any direct hostility. A bit of stirring and cheering or chanting in their direction, but never aggressive.

Gotta say a few of the chants were juvenile, schoolyard bully stuff, I'd be embarrassed.

• Angry
The pitches have been too benign late in the tests, but we have got results so I suppose criticism is moot.

All 3 games very close and both teams have had players let them down. Australia needs to get more from our batters - Warner does not justify selection while Smith and Labuchagne need to get some runs. Plus, they need to have a good think about the bowling tactics. I understand the need to combat the English approach of aggressive batting and that we no longer have Lyon, but bowling short clearly has not worked. How do we combat their batting on a benign pitch? They need to go to work on how to get wickets given the batting and the pitches.

Lot of work for Australia to do, should win the series but England are a very good chance because all 3 wins have been close.

DS
Yeah, our bats (and our tail) should be very sheepish today. And the bowlers for their continued short pitched stuff. But IMO mainly the bats.

The lack of putting true value on your wicket and toughing things out has been disappointing. And whilst it’s not the tails first job to score runs our propensity to be 5 out all out is embarrassing. Our 7-11 bats need to be better.
Khawaja and Head get pass marks, Carey started well with a 66 but it’s been a couple of 20s and several failures since, Smith , apart from his ton, has been disappointing, as has Marnus. Warner needs to be replaced by Harris (but I doubt Harris will much better but it has to be done). Or Renshaw. But I doubt him too.

But I feel the poor batting trend will continue for the next 2 tests.

I hope Labuschagne has been given a rocket, he got out to a terrible shot in the 2nd innings after being dropped the over before. Given a life, he should've got stuck in again. He had done so well to keep Wood out in what was a brilliant spell.
With scores of 33, 21, 47 and 30 from the last two tests, he really should have turned one of them into a ton.
Along with some poor bowling to Stokes and Wood in the first innings, Labuschagne is just as much to blame for Australia losing the 3rd test.

good points. Wood the key difference that won it. Genuine pace shook things up, and useful batting cameos to top it off. His accuracy for someone that quick is very impressive.
It's a pity that young WA quick who hits 150kph got injured. As they say, speed kills ... batsmens' confidence and timing. He would have been great to blood on this tour on these wickets, including WCF test.

Could very well mark a huge turning point in the series that pathetic spell that cost what an extra 50 plus runs lead.

All dominance and momentum was lost in that spell. Brainless cricket and the coaches need a kicking for not pulling em up and changing tack.

Does the walking wicket play from here? I'd be dropping him.

I wouldn't have taken him over in the first place, his record off shore is sheizenhausen.

Australia can't risk it and must at least draw it so they retain the Ashes.

Marnus has been below par also and needs to lift.

We lost because from 7/140, the Poms were allowed to get to 237 due to poor bowling to Stokes, and the tail.
This absolutely this.

I hope Labuschagne has been given a rocket, he got out to a terrible shot in the 2nd innings after being dropped the over before. Given a life, he should've got stuck in again. He had done so well to keep Wood out in what was a brilliant spell.
With scores of 33, 21, 47 and 30 from the last two tests, he really should have turned one of them into a ton.
Along with some poor bowling to Stokes and Wood in the first innings, Labuschagne is just as much to blame for Australia losing the 3rd test.
Labuschagne has been disappointing but if he can scratch around for 30 or 40 I’d rather see him open in place of Warner. Left/right combination with Usman. I mean, he’s coming in so early he may as well open.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd go Green and Hazlewood/Neser in. Warner and Boland out.

Heard that Boland is the most consistently accurate bowler in Test Cricket, but is 0 when it comes to swing. The Poms know where he always bowls, and know he doesn't swing. Boland needs to learn to swing ASAP. Warner needs to go. Great career, but it's time.

Green opens with Ussie. The height difference between Ussie and Green could cause length issues with the English bowlers. Keep Head at 5.

I'd go Green and Hazlewood/Neser in. Warner and Boland out.

Heard that Boland is the most consistently accurate bowler in Test Cricket, but is 0 when it comes to swing. The Poms know where he always bowls, and know he doesn't swing. Boland needs to learn to swing ASAP. Warner needs to go. Great career, but it's time.

Green opens with Ussie. The height difference between Ussie and Green could cause length issues with the English bowlers. Keep Head at 5.

I think Boland is like Woakes for England. Very good in home conditions but bog average when overseas.

We are 2 : 1 up with 2 tests to go and the poms have to win both to get the ashes back.

If we set ourselves to bat for 3 days in one of the 2 remaining tests across both our innings it will be near on impossible for the poms to win.

Can’t see them doing it tbh.

Marnus could open if Davey dropped.

Could reinvigorate his series.

Head at 3, Marsh at 4.

I really like the idea of Smudge batting at 5 from here on in. Our very own S Waugh.

Green at 6.

We are 2 : 1 up with 2 tests to go and the poms have to win both to get the ashes back.

If we set ourselves to bat for 3 days in one of the 2 remaining tests across both our innings it will be near on impossible for the poms to win.

Can’t see them doing it tbh.
I don't think we can bat for 3 days.

Batting order needs a shakeup beyond the obvious Warner change.

I’ve liked the idea of Smith moving down for about a year now. Older ball, more scope for his leg side play, could bat well with Carey.

The way England play you would have to think a result will occur in the next two matches barring bad weather.

This clearly works in England’s favour.

Can the run is down.

I think they can. Unlikely, but for mine we have been brittle throughout this series so far. They put us under pressure and we don’t like it.
England have momentum and confidence.
Australia has pressure.
Runs on the board dont mean much with the likelihood of results and Englands positive approach.
As i said before this test i think it ends 3-2 to the poms

Surely they cant drop Marsh.
And Green will be fit. Its over a week away and he is fit now. So it stands to reason Green comes back in.
So gotta be "sorry Davey you're out"
Right? Its gotta happen.

Warner at his best an attacking, punchy batsman.
Head could do it, as we go for broke.
But Marsh has the better defense.
Follow in his old mans footsteps and lead us out