Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Can't stand that right wing looney Piers Morgan but since he had Boycott and these other so called experts on... thought I'd post it.
The Australian journo didn't exactly fight the fight.
The bloke in the studio was the only sensible one IMO.
And if you could pick a stereotypical pommy silvertail lord.... he's on there too.
FTP's!
PS... just saw a report their PM has issued a statement condemning us... FMD!

I think follow the money.

Outrage sells clicks and views.

The PM knows it (playing politics)

RWNJ know it. I’d say a majority of them don’t believe it but are good snake oil salesmen/women/people.

Reactions: 2 users
Skipped most of it, Boycott gone the slippery slope! Cricket as we know it will disintegrate! Love it. Yeah the bloke in the studio is spot on, similar things have happened, its the Ashes, Stokes would have done the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't stand that right wing looney Piers Morgan but since he had Boycott and these other so called experts on... thought I'd post it.
The Australian journo didn't exactly fight the fight.
The bloke in the studio was the only sensible one IMO.
And if you could pick a stereotypical pommy silvertail lord.... he's on there too.
FTP's!
PS... just saw a report their PM has issued a statement condemning us... FMD!

notable also for only one of the panelists being cut off by Piers ... twice.

no prizes for guessing which one it was.

or what gender

Reckon it still will be.
They've come very close twice.
They have no spinner. So they'll want a flat deck in the 4th.

And with the speed of their innings and runrates its unlikely there will be draws. So i suspect they double down. It will be a greentop.
And theyll play Wood.
If they are smart they drop Robinson but its probably Anderson who takes a rest
Can't drop Robinson, who'll knock over our no's 10 & 11 if he's not playing.

• Haha
Just saw the Starc catch , Surley the ump who made that decision is umpiring in Scotland next week
He would probably love a nice little hol anywhere, with an extra wad of cash in his pocket after an incredibly dubious law interpretation to disallow that catch ... that just happened to be totally vital for England to remain alive in the game. It's almost been overlooked retrospectively that the 'life' he obtained from an obscure ruling never invoked before, gave the Poms about another 50 runs!

However, the Bairstow run out ... probably provided a measure of balance. I think it's called 'poetic justice.' :LOL:

PS - Remember some of the incredible OUT decisions not given in crucial tests previous where England avoided defeat, involving Broad 's smashed catch to 1st slip and the blatant LBW refused Lyon? Neutral umpiring??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would say I'm fairly balanced being a pom but living in Australia but geez reading a lot of you blokes, hypocrisy blah blah blah, its ironic that only 20 pages ago, the same blokes were bashing the Starc catch when by the letter of the law it was technically not out (I wasn't aware that was the rule but if it is its not out) and yet then bashing the "letter of the ;aw" stumping that got Bairstow.

Irony and hypocrisy at its finest, yet are bashing all the English players for hypocrisy, it goes both ways.

Both decisions were right, Bairstow was a dumbarse. Lets just move on. It will rile the english supporters up, but it is what it is. Australia are 2-0 up and have 1 hand on the urn already.

I'm hoping England don't focus on this 1 decision as "the reason they lost the test", but actually focus on what went wrong. We've done a lot right so far but have blown it at times. Bairstow dropping 4 chances in the 1st test killed us. Losing our last 8 wickets for 117 runs in the 1st innings at Lords killed us. Those are the reasons we lost the tests and Australia won them, Australia haven't dropped many in the field, and they also haven't collapsed like England have. Ultimately that shows that Australia has played better but it also shows England haven't been far off.

Teams will be interesting later this week. I'm disappointed that Matt Potts hasn't been given a crack in this test, he looked good in the tests last summer and should be given another turn. If Pope doesn't make it, does Bairstow go to 3 and we bring Foakes in as WK?

I'd guess the only change for the Aussies is Murphy for Lyon.

Yet another video has emerged, best one yet, bairstow stumping Patel, sneaky. Praised as great cricket by commentators. They'll keep coming I'd say. Sorry don't have link, someone showed me

I would say I'm fairly balanced being a pom but living in Australia but geez reading a lot of you blokes, hypocrisy blah blah blah, its ironic that only 20 pages ago, the same blokes were bashing the Starc catch when by the letter of the law it was technically not out (I wasn't aware that was the rule but if it is its not out) and yet then bashing the "letter of the ;aw" stumping that got Bairstow.

Irony and hypocrisy at its finest, yet are bashing all the English players for hypocrisy, it goes both ways.
Nah, not hypocritical at all. In both cases the decision should be "out"! :p

Reactions: 2 users

Both decisions were right, Bairstow was a dumbarse. Lets just move on. It will rile the english supporters up, but it is what it is. Australia are 2-0 up and have 1 hand on the urn already.

I'm hoping England don't focus on this 1 decision as "the reason they lost the test", but actually focus on what went wrong. We've done a lot right so far but have blown it at times. Bairstow dropping 4 chances in the 1st test killed us. Losing our last 8 wickets for 117 runs in the 1st innings at Lords killed us. Those are the reasons we lost the tests and Australia won them, Australia haven't dropped many in the field, and they also haven't collapsed like England have. Ultimately that shows that Australia has played better but it also shows England haven't been far off.

Teams will be interesting later this week. I'm disappointed that Matt Potts hasn't been given a crack in this test, he looked good in the tests last summer and should be given another turn. If Pope doesn't make it, does Bairstow go to 3 and we bring Foakes in as WK?

I'd guess the only change for the Aussies is Murphy for Lyon.
It's war posh. :mhihi

I read an article in an English paper, a county player told the journo that Bairstow would attempt to do the same thing as what Carey did, half a dozen times in every county game he plays.

And here's another quote from a paper.

"McCullum has been accused of hypocrisy, especially in Australia, after his own involvement with two controversial run-outs during his playing days with New Zealand."
"At Bulawayo in August 2005, he ran out Zimbabwe No 11 Chris Mpofu after he left his crease to congratulate team-mate Blessing Mahwire on his maiden Test fifty. Then, in December 2006, he did the same to Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralitharan, who wandered over to shake hands with centurion Kumar Sangakkara. In both cases, the ball was not dead, though McCullum has since admitted he regretted his actions.
"

Dunno about that catch it would be six if he touched the rope like that wouldnt it?

I must say all this short pitched bowling from both teams is a bit *smile* IMO.
I think you will find that, from my (ageing) memory, the Poms fully initiated this in our 2nd innings of first test. If that's how they want to play ... two sides can do it. If you want to dish it out ...
Do you think our guys should just cop it and not return fire, although think you will find Aussie bowlers bowled far more line and length, not incessant short-pitched. And bowled a spinner, Head, after losing Gaz.

So much for bazball too. Quick reversion to the Bodyline of 1930s.

Now hit Broad in the ribs. Give him some of the endless chin music he served up yesterday.
And we did. Scored a few good hits. Might be quite sore with little R & R before next Test Thurs. More poetic justice. And Jimmy A looks done.

Dunno about that catch it would be six if he touched the rope like that wouldnt it?

I think you will find that, from my (ageing) memory, the Poms fully initiated this in our 2nd innings of first test. If that's how they want to play ... two sides can do it. If you want to dish it out ...
Do you think our guys should just cop it and not return fire, although think you will find Aussie bowlers bowled far more line and length, not incessant short-pitched. And bowled a spinner, Head, after losing Gaz.

So much for bazball too. Quick reversion to the Bodyline of 1930s.

To be honest most of the short pitched bowling is due to the wickets, nothing to do with a side trying to ruff another one up. The reversions of going back to Bodyline are off the mark IMO, the whole idea of Bodyline was to rough the batsmen up with very quick short pitched deliveries. Not sure we have anyone playing that would be regarded as very quick.

It was more a division away from what we were doing as pitching it up, there was no real swing or seam (until Starc came on and had it bending round buildings!) so they went shorter to make the batsmen play off the bat foot more and hope to surprise them with either one that bounces a little bit more, or 1 that didn't bounce as much (but this didn't really happen either as there wasn't a lot of variable bounce).

Neither wicket so far has been great for the bowlers and in particular the English bowlers.

And we did. Scored a few good hits. Might be quite sore with little R & R before next Test Thurs. More poetic justice. And Jimmy A looks done.

I'm not sure Jimmy's done, before this series he's been bowling really well, these are his stats since 2014. Its more to do with the wicket, neither wicket so far as enabled him to swing the ball. The 1st 2 tests he played this year, he got 10/168 so around 17's but has struggled on the 2 wickets we have provided so far in the Ashes.

1688451659709.png

Not saying its not out just that its not the right way to play
This didn't age well.

England, their umpires, their 'control' of the rules of the game (still in 2023!), their players, their coach BMc (is he still actually a Kiwi? Naturalised English? Or just a pathetic wannabe Pom?), their invocation of the 'spirit of the game' ... only when it suits their interests as if they still own it!? Pope got NZ batsman Grondholme out (is that one of Baz's former compatriots?) out in their last series V NZ in similar fashion. Gross hypocrisy in their typical way.

You sound very naive.

Last edited: