Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

I've always found the term "Spirit of the game" a little nebulous. Too subjective and too easily manipulated to suit your purposes.
I've also never had a problem with Mankad if the player is clearly trying to take advantage, not that keen if it's used to punish carelessness.

However, I did feel a little bit uncomfortable with the Bairstow stumping and think that if there had been any hesitation at all in Carey releasing the ball, the fig leaf that made it acceptable would have been removed. Not saying it was wrong, but the moment I saw it I knew there'd be calls of unsportsmanlike play and it does seem a bit harsh on the poor old bumbling fat bloke. Kind of like celebrating the fact we could outsmart the dumbest kid in the classroom and make him look a fool.

But the howls of outrage were ridiculous. Pathetic really.
Stuart Broad is a magnificent bowler and a real *smile*. That's how he'll be remembered.
The lack of grace in defeat is becoming synonymous with England.

Glad they don't want to have a beer with us, they'd only ruin the party.
Let them sulk in their change rooms and all cry into their warm beers together. Couldn't give a *smile*.

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 user
There hasn't been a Mankad in test cricket for over 40 years. If it happened today in a test match anywhere, the outcry would be enormous.
Na. The bloke backing up too far would be questioned as to why he was trying to "cheat". You're way off.

The thing about the Carey incident is the hypocrisy. The fact they tried the same thing in the same game, well, it just shows the outrage from the poms is confected because they lost and because when Carey did it he actually hit the stumps. I agree that incident in the Zimbabwe game years ago was different . . . it was much worse. The player run out was celebrating a century by his team mate, likely a pretty significant event for Zimbabwe who are not in the same league as the better test playing nations. The mea culpa well after the fact, and after taking advantage of the run out, is just BS.

As for the game, I too wondered about the Australian bowling tactics. Short balls being smacked over the fence, so, let's bowl another short ball. I am not familiar with the wins in previous series the poms have had, so maybe their more aggressive play has made bowling line and length prone to conceding big scores. The wicket looked like a road so you also wonder if line and length would have been too easy to combat, looked like no swing happening so you have to do something, but the short bowling certainly didn't look like they were going to get the batters out in a hurry. Having Lyon out and therefore no full time spinner was obviously a big loss bowling in the fourth innings, wonder if there would have been any spin there.

At the end of the day, the Bairstow dismissal was within the rules and the poms whinging is hypocrisy.

Plus, for all the questioning of the Australian bowling tactics and field placings, we're 2-0 up in a 5 test series . . . it is hard to argue with results.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
No, dismissing the comparisons that are not the same.

It's all moot anyway, and as you suggest easy for the Poms to take the high moral ground. Hopefully they get their sportsmanship tested in the future and can practice what they are preaching.
How incredible is the Murali dismissal?
Sanga scores a century with a flick to fine leg. They run a single.
Murali walks out of his crease.
The ball is still being thrown back to the keeper at the stumps !
Amazing.

I think this is similar (not the same).
They had 2 options. Give Murali a warning. Or run him out.
Professional cricketer. Grown up. He doesnt need a warning about the rules.

So what sort of pitch will the Poms serve up for the 3rd test? I'm guessing it won't be a road.
Reckon it still will be.
They've come very close twice.
They have no spinner. So they'll want a flat deck in the 4th.

And with the speed of their innings and runrates its unlikely there will be draws. So i suspect they double down. It will be a greentop.
And theyll play Wood.
If they are smart they drop Robinson but its probably Anderson who takes a rest

Just on the pitch, it looked like a day 2 pitch.
No cracks no surprises no balls keeping low

Talking of the spirot of cricket, saw Smith pat Stokes on the back after his 155.
And then Smith and Andersom embrace at the end (cant believe the TV producer cut from that shot).
Tremendous respect for the other side

The spirit of the game.
The laws of the game.
Its not the batter who calls over.
Claiming that bairstow was wronged is suggesting that the laws of the game dont apply.
That in fact he is above the laws and only the spirit applies.

On bairstow. He tapped his crease. Deadball he said. (In his mind)
But it aint.
Just because you say it doesnt make it true.
Its not the batter who chooses when its over.

I wasnt making a run he said. Not taking advantage!
No, but he was not looking at the ball which is still in play.
If he watched the ball and waits for the umpire to make the call then he can leave his crease.

Surely our Queen King is on our side?
Of course, same King for 2 countries. He'll give all Aussie players OBEs if we win just like his mum did for the English players in '05.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the shoe was on the other foot Stokes would have taken the wicket, no calling back, the UK press would have said it was an unusual dismissal but all fair, the Lords crowd would have cheered, and us Aussies would have been a bit outraged and had a bit of a whinge.

Its the hypocrisy and bullsit hollier-than-thou meaningless hypotheticals that get me, hypotheticals are meaningless in and of themselves, but even more so when you consider the form of McCullum and the poms.

Reactions: 6 users
Going to be a tough crowd at Headingley, them Yorkshire gaffers will go pretty hard at the Aussies, bring it on. They'll make those toffee noses at Lords look like choir boys. Going to be sleep deprived again, you can't beat Ashes cricket.

Reactions: 1 users
There is ZERO difference between a stumping off spin and a stumping off pace - it is functionally the same mode of dismissal.

The only anomalous element was Bairstow's lack of awareness.

• Love
Can't stand that right wing looney Piers Morgan but since he had Boycott and these other so called experts on... thought I'd post it.
The Australian journo didn't exactly fight the fight.
The bloke in the studio was the only sensible one IMO.
And if you could pick a stereotypical pommy silvertail lord.... he's on there too.
FTP's!
PS... just saw a report their PM has issued a statement condemning us... FMD!