Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Here’s another from McCullum (who won’t have a drink with the Aussies!)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
That Bairstow was stupid is inarguable. But that doesn't make the method of dismissal "cricket" for mine.

I personally don't have an issue with it. But to be honest, I don't have a problem with the Mankad either. Regarding the latter, if a batsmen is trying to get an unfair advantage, then they are fair game IMO. I don't even think a warning is necessary but I understand I am in the minority.

I have a great deal of respect for Ben Stokes as a cricketer and an English test captain. He is my favourite English player since, of all people, John Snow.

Stokes' comment that it isn't what he would have done is the only one I'll take on board, and I'll respect it on those grounds. That being said though, both Hussain and Vaughan as former English test captains have both come out and said they don't have an issue with it either.

All the other commentary is just a massive beat up and bordering on hysterically irrelevant.

That he threw it immediately is irrelevant.

It isn't MD. If Carey hadn't thrown it straight away then the ball, under the laws of the game, would have been deemed dead and we wouldn't have an issue.

Reactions: 4 users
I personally don't have an issue with it. But to be honest, I don't have a problem with the Mankad either. Regarding the latter, if a batsmen is trying to get an unfair advantage, then they are fair game IMO. I don't even think a warning is necessary but I understand I am in the minority.

It isn't MD. If Carey hadn't thrown it straight away then the ball, under the laws of the game, would have been deemed dead and we wouldn't have an issue.
It's nothing like the mankad though. Why do posters persist with examples that are nothing like what happened?

Here’s another from McCullum (who won’t have a drink with the Aussies!)

Again, not really like the Bairstow example.

Marnus was batting out of his crease to try to counteract the English bowlers, most top batters do, he's not trying to "gain an advantage" he's trying to play the bowlers the best way he can.

Which in reality is trying to gain an advantage. But the underlying point you make is that that advantage comes at a price, and you have to be prepared to pay it.

Bairstow dismissal was all fine from my view point.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if it was Carey getting out that way and Bairstow throwing the ball, I'd have no problem with it.

Indeed I'd be calling Carey an imbecile for walking out of his crease.

Reactions: 2 users
It's nothing like the mankad though. Why do posters persist with examples that are nothing like what happened?

Not comparing the two for the action, but the controversy they apparently cause.

To be clear, my point was that the Mankad is equally if not more controversial in terms of the spirit of the game, but that I don't have a problem with it.

Nup its slimy. Last ball of over batsman ducks it and goes to keeper it effectively dead and batsman is walking to have a chat and anticipating over call.

Yep he should wait but its not an earned wicket by any stretch its a sneako like a mankad

Like the Starc catch theres the letter of the law and theres the honour of the game
Anyone that gets Mankaded deserves it for being a cheating prick. No such thing as honouring the game when only one side is doing it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Dont agree if he had gone down the wicket to play the ball then fine but he was clearly only walking out on the wrong assumption the ball was finished.

Carey picked his pocket which is fine by the letter of the law but not great manners in my opinion
Just like Starkers was only putting his Hands on the ground well after he'd securely caught the ball so he wouldn't face plant. If ya gotta abide by one rule of the game, ya gotta abide by all of them.
Manners are for holding doors open n helping carry parcels etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Which in reality is trying to gain an advantage. But the underlying point you make is that that advantage comes at a price, and you have to be prepared to pay it.

Bairstow dismissal was all fine from my view point.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if it was Carey getting out that way and Bairstow throwing the ball, I'd have no problem with it.

Indeed I'd be calling Carey an imbecile for walking out of his crease.

That's right, it's incumbent on the batter to protect his/her wicket at all times, which includes making sure he /she doesn't get stumped, run out etc.
As far as batting out of their crease is concerned, batters really don't get much in the way of advantages, certainly not like bowlers, who can bowl close to the stumps, or wide of them, from behind the stumps, inline with them, polish one side of the ball to make it swing more, bowl over or around the wicket, bowl fast or slow (doesn't have to nominate which before each ball) etc etc.
The poor old batter can only bat out of their crease,

According to you its nothing like anything that has ever happened before, and if it has, ie baz for NZ, he has expressed regret so they don't count either. You're dismissing legit comparisons just because they don't support your argument.

Needless to say, I don't buy it

Titus’s view.
Hard to know if “Marylebone Cricket Club member Simon Cuffleton-Smiggly-Wright” is satire or real

“We are deeply upset that a lawful action that we have tried many times ourselves has worked against us this time, which feels unfair,” said Professor of Ethics at Oxford University Stuart Broad”

whahahaha

Not comparing the two for the action, but the controversy they apparently cause.

To be clear, my point was that the Mankad is equally if not more controversial in terms of the spirit of the game, but that I don't have a problem with it.
No. Not in the slightest. The mankad was controversial but is now considered OK as the non-striker is trying to effectively cheat. The rise of one-day/T20 has seen players try and creep further and further down the wicket before the ball is bowled. The mankad is entirely fair in those circumstances.

Nothing like what happened at Lords. Nowhere near as controversial nowadays.

Guess Bairstowe missed or Marnus was still in his crease. Bet the Poms would have claimed the stumping big time if they'd got it.
Marnus was batting out of his crease. You don't understand the difference Abe? Surprised your'e awake.

As one of the respondents in Titus's article wrote, not letting Lyon have a runner was definitely in the spirit of the game.

According to you its nothing like anything that has ever happened before, and if it has, ie baz for NZ, he has expressed regret so they don't count either. You're dismissing legit comparisons just because they don't support your argument.

Needless to say, I don't buy it
No, dismissing the comparisons that are not the same.

It's all moot anyway, and as you suggest easy for the Poms to take the high moral ground. Hopefully they get their sportsmanship tested in the future and can practice what they are preaching.

No. Not in the slightest. The mankad was controversial but is now considered OK as the non-striker is trying to effectively cheat. The rise of one-day/T20 has seen players try and creep further and further down the wicket before the ball is bowled. The mankad is entirely fair in those circumstances.

Nothing like what happened at Lords. Nowhere near as controversial nowadays.

There hasn't been a Mankad in test cricket for over 40 years. If it happened today in a test match anywhere, the outcry would be enormous.

Interestingly, there have been 4 Mankads in the history of test cricket, and 4 in ODIs. Only one in a T20, and that was an Asian Cup qualifier between Hong Kong and Oman.

But in women's international T20 cricket, there was 4 in one game. Maeva Douma took out four opposition batsmen in the one innings using the Mankad.