Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Marnus was batting out of his crease to try to counteract the English bowlers, most top batters do, he's not trying to "gain an advantage" he's trying to play the bowlers the best way he can. If he gets run out doing it, so be it, he'd deserve it for being dumb & not making sure he couldn't be dismissed that way.
Bairstow was dumb in not realising that he was in danger of such a dismissal.

A mate & I used to coach junior cricketers (many, many years ago) & we drummed into them to be vigilant about that exact thing. We told them, always keep some part of your foot or bat behind the crease line until the ball is returned to the bowler or the umpire calls "over"

The guy I was coaching with was a former District Cricketer, a good batsman made a lot of runs in that comp. He said that it was impressed on them to be wary of that particular type of dismissal.
Huh? If you are taking block outside of the crease you are fair game. It's why keepers come up to the stumps. It's usually why keepers try to throw the stumps down when keeping back, it's why in clode fielders often ping at the stumps, to try to catch the batsman off guard because he is "starting" outside the crease. It's pretty simple, if you start out of your crease you are inviting stumping and run out attempts. Bairstow did none of that. He was simply doing some gardening. It's a *smile* way to get a wicket IMO. Clearly most on here disagree.

Blah blah blah I was a cricket coach and I told juniors blah blah blah. He was a good district cricketer blah blah blah - what does that mean, he "knows" cricket? That's completely irrelevant.

Did you also teach them to sledge? Mankad?

I'd prefer the elite of sport set better examples. The game relies on camaraderie at the local level. At least it did when i played. These sort of incidents don't encourage that.

Reactions: 1 users
But why is Carey’s so much worse than those examples?
I can't help you if you can't see it's different.

I'm clearly in the minority on here, in fact I might be the only one that thinks it's a *smile* act.

I'm clearly in the minority on here, in fact I might be the only one that thinks it's a *smile* act.
I respect your view, and your right to have it, but I think its a bit niave and idealistic when the stakes are at their highest, thats fine, I respect idealism. But if you actually look at the evidence, the poms have done it, NZ have done it, other sides have probably done it, to suggest we are bad sports, or worse sports than them, doesn't stand up to scrutiny. As I said, if the poms were without sin, they could cast the stone.

It presents an interesting question as to where you draw the line of what is an innocent and inadvertent way to get out. But sir, I was just trying to innocently pull to mid-on when I inadvertantly top edged to silly mid-off. (joke)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Huh? If you are taking block outside of the crease you are fair game. It's why keepers come up to the stumps. It's usually why keepers try to throw the stumps down when keeping back, it's why in clode fielders often ping at the stumps, to try to catch the batsman off guard because he is "starting" outside the crease. It's pretty simple, if you start out of your crease you are inviting stumping and run out attempts. Bairstow did none of that. He was simply doing some gardening. It's a *smile* way to get a wicket IMO. Clearly most on here disagree.

Blah blah blah I was a cricket coach and I told juniors blah blah blah. He was a good district cricketer blah blah blah - what does that mean, he "knows" cricket? That's completely irrelevant.

Did you also teach them to sledge? Mankad?

I'd prefer the elite of sport set better examples. The game relies on camaraderie at the local level. At least it did when i played. These sort of incidents don't encourage that.

Blah blah blah, you really are holier than thou. What a stupid statement about sledging & mankadding, blah blah blah.

What I was saying was to be aware of What can happen if you aren't vigilant.

As for sledging & mankadding, that's a totally different kettle of fish & not something I have ever condoned.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, but we still admire your penchant for gentlemanly behaviour though Miles !

(I picture you wearing a top hat and monocle and saying "good morning" and "good day" to everyone on the train. Bit like Johnny Walker .....although he likes to walk instead of catching a train).

• Haha
I respect your view, and your right to have it, but I think its a bit niave and idealistic when the stakes are at their highest, thats fine, I respect idealism. But if you actually look at the evidence, the poms have done it, NZ have done it, other sides have probably done it, to suggest we are bad sports, or worse sports than them, doesn't stand up to scrutiny. As I said, if the poms were without sin, they could cast the stone.
Just because someone else has done something doesn't mean it should be condoned. Nor are the other examples i have seen the same as this.

Not one example I have seen is the same. And if I saw the same thing I would have the same opinion.

Yep, other keepers have be doing the same thing as what Carey did since Adam was a boy. If it's such a bad look, and so unsporting, the MCC would've changed the rules years ago.

• Haha
Yes, but we still admire your penchant for gentlemanly behaviour though Miles !

(I picture you wearing a top hat and monocle and saying "good morning" and "good day" to everyone on the train. Bit like Johnny Walker .....although he likes to walk instead of catching a train).
It's a Stetson fedora that I tip! And I tram it. And stand for old ladies. And open the door for them. And help them cross the road. It's quite exhausting.

• Love
It's a Stetson fedora that I tip! And I tram it. And stand for old ladies. And open the door for them. And help them cross the road. It's quite exhausting.
Yes, but the upside is that you are very popular with all those old ladies. Very. Bet you get asked to come home for tea and crumpets all the time.

• Haha
Just because someone else has done something doesn't mean it should be condoned.
Very true, but the poms are carrying on as if they are innocent babes. They are not. We'll just have to disagree on if they have done similar or not, that fine, but by any assessment, they are not innocent babes.

Yep, other keepers have be doing the same thing as what Carey did since Adam was a boy. If it's such a bad look, and so unsporting, the MCC would've changed the rules years ago.
I can't recall seeing it done in the same circumstances. Yes, when a batsman starts out of their crease, you often see a keeper have a ping. It used to drive me nuts when i played and our keeper did it. Never ever saw it get a wicket.

But I can't recall it for batsman that start in their crease, that aren't trying to sneak a run etc. People can say Carey was smart because he observed Bairstow wandering after playing the previous balls. In my mind it makes it worse. Anyway, we can probably all agree Bairstow is even dumber than he looks. Not sure I've ever met a smart ginger.

Yes, but the upside is that you are very popular with all those old ladies. Very. Bet you get asked to come home for tea and crumpets all the time.
Yeh, except they serve those little stale jatz crackers with cheese and cucumber. Use by dates are merely guidelines for the old dears.

I can't recall seeing it done in the same circumstances. Yes, when a batsman starts out of their crease, you often see a keeper have a ping. It used to drive me nuts when i played and our keeper did it. Never ever saw it get a wicket.

But I can't recall it for batsman that start in their crease, that aren't trying to sneak a run etc. People can say Carey was smart because he observed Bairstow wandering after playing the previous balls. In my mind it makes it worse. Anyway, we can probably all agree Bairstow is even dumber than he looks. Not sure I've ever met a smart ginger.
It was interesting that Bairstow didn't look outraged, perhaps because he realised that he was given out having tried to to do the same thing, or similar on numerous occasions.

How can it be a *smile* act when it was within the rules?
Are the rules themselves then *smile*?
If that’s so, then the MCC who administer the rules of cricket should be having a jolly good boo at themselves.

And if it was legal but not within “the spirit of the game”, then are the rules of the game of cricket outside the spirit of the game of cricket? How is that so?

It was a legal dismissal as judged by the third umpire.
Stokes and Baz and the old MCC farts can gagf

By the way, Mankadding is absolutely fair game. The non-striker is trying to cheat an advantage. One warning, then next time you're out. If you're not trying to cheat you'll be fine.

(And yes, Backstop wasn't trying to cheat. He was just careless and stupid.)

Reactions: 6 users
Wasn’t Johnny B just stupid to think it was a dead ball once it had gone past his noggin’? As soon as Carey had caught it he threw it. JB then walked out of his crease as the ball was in the air on the way to the stumps without ever bothering to see where it might be.
He stuffed up plain and simple with astute keeping from Carey.

If anyone honestly thinks the English would have done anything differently if the roles were reversed then they are kidding themselves. The British like to model themselves on being decent and upstanding characters, but only when it suits them. Their history in cricket and outside of it suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For those that so there was no advantage that doesn't make sense.

The keeper threw the ball IMMEDIATELY upon it hitting the gloves. The batter does not check to see if the keeper had gloved it.

If the keeper had misgloved it and there was a potential for byes then bairstow would have already been a pace down the wicket and the non-striker would have called him through. If he had been going back into his crease then maybe the run wouldn't have been on as he would have had to turn back around and then run to the other end and a slightly higher chance of a runout. Usually in this situation the non-striker is halfway down the pitch and the batter has returned to his crease.

This advantage would have been inadvertent as he was clearly in space-land but so was his disadvantage.

The holier than thou defense for someone at Test level not knowing the rules and being switched on 100% of the time is laughable.

It's the same reaction I have when Shai drops the ball on the ground after he should have got a too high awarded to him and instead its HTB and in his frustration he compounds it with a 50m against and we lose the game by a kick. Dumb Dumb Dumb. No one is saying its in the spirit of the game for the oppo to tell the ump he punched shai in the head so please reverse the 50m and free kick.

Learn the *smile* rules.

The OTT reaction of many English to this incident is papering over the delusion that Bazball isn’t working against the Australians.
Absolute hubris for a nation who thought they were & always do think that they’re better than us. Once this anger dissipates, reality will bite soon enough that they’re 0-2 down. You ain’t all that Essengland.

Reactions: 2 users