Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

It was nothing like the CDG one. CDG actually starts to look for a run. He was genuinely run out. Ridiculous comparison.

And to say Carey threw the ball without pause doesn't make it any better. Makes it morse. The fact is he noted Bairstow leave his crease the 2 balls earlier. He knew Bairstow wasn't trying to gain any advantage or trying to run. He wasn't taking guard outside of his crease. Carey simply realised Bairstow was being a dopey bonehead. It makes the dismissal even more inglorious IMO. There's no honour in the manner of that dismissal. It's the sort of thing that promotes punch ons in local cricket. 100% against the spirit of the game.

McCullum changed over the period of his career and became a very honourable cricketer. I have no doubt he would have called the batsman back.
But what is “spirit of the game”? It’s a nebulous concept. Bairstow was out according to the laws of the game, a written, structured concept.

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure when it started , but the Aussie cricket team has been as poorer a team that we’ve produced with representing our country that I can remember , Gilly stands out with his sportsmanship. David Warner is the greatest cheat , unsportsmanlike character to ever wear the baggy green
Every football team in the country cheats more on a weekly basis than the Australian cricket team does in a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's not forget these 'same old Aussies, always cheating' bleaters who still boo Smith gave their ball-tamperers MBEs:

MARCUS Trescothick has confirmed speculation that England's 2005 Ashes victory may have been aided by peppermint sweets.

The former opening batsman, who retired from international cricket in March due to an ongoing battle with mental stress, has revealed that he shone the ball after sucking on the breath fresheners.

The unplayable reverse swing generated by Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff tormented the Australian top order. This may have been made possible by Murray Mints which, along with any other artificial substance, is illegal when shining the ball.

Reactions: 6 users
I get that England are all about Bazball. That it's Bazball or nothing. But I wonder if Stokes had decided to turn it down a bit once he got England into a winning position and played safer to ensure he was there at the end. Then again he was seeing watermelons so it's understandable he stayed in Bazball mode.

It was nothing like the CDG one. CDG actually starts to look for a run. He was genuinely run out. Ridiculous comparison.

And to say Carey threw the ball without pause doesn't make it any better. Makes it morse. The fact is he noted Bairstow leave his crease the 2 balls earlier. He knew Bairstow wasn't trying to gain any advantage or trying to run. He wasn't taking guard outside of his crease. Carey simply realised Bairstow was being a dopey bonehead. It makes the dismissal even more inglorious IMO. There's no honour in the manner of that dismissal. It's the sort of thing that promotes punch ons in local cricket. 100% against the spirit of the game.

McCullum changed over the period of his career and became a very honourable cricketer. I have no doubt he would have called the batsman back.
But McCullum didn't call the player back, either time, talk is cheap

He seems to be saying Cummo should have called him back because he would have, twice, even though I didn't, if I could go back in time.

Fair dinkum, What a tool

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Bairstow tried to run Labuschagne out the same way the day before, so the Poms can't claim to be holier than thou. They wouldn't have called him back if he was given out.

They can whinge all they like, they're no different to the Aussies.

As for Thumper Stokes, the honourable Pommie Captain, he wasn't so honourable when he, punched the living suitcase out of a bloke at a nightclub a few years ago. Many strings were pulled to get him off those charges.

Why didn’t Stokes tell Duckett to walk after Starc if we want to argue spirit of the game?

Is Broad not walking in 2015 within spirit of the game?

Can’t pick and choose when it applies.

I get that England are all about Bazball. That it's Bazball or nothing. But I wonder if Stokes had decided to turn it down a bit once he got England into a winning position and played safer to ensure he was there at the end. Then again he was seeing watermelons so it's understandable he stayed in Bazball mode.
Agree. He just got into show-off mode until he fatigued and mis-hit that last bowl to him.

Went out that way myself once, it never happened again.
The laws of cricket says that the balls "alive" until the umpire says otherwise. You don't leave your crease until the ball is on its way back to the bowler. Park cricketers know that, Test cricketers definitely should.
Yep it's like creeping 5cm over the line and giving away 50m after a mark has been paid.

Learn the rule and don't be stupid.

Then get stupid rules changed.

Reactions: 1 user
But what is “spirit of the game”? It’s a nebulous concept. Bairstow was out according to the laws of the game, a written, structured concept.

WG Grace was one of the biggest cheats the game has seen...... just saying.

Reactions: 1 users
But McCullum didn't call the player back, either time, talk is cheap
How long ago were those incidents? He acknowledges they were not the right thing. It's called growth.

If this had happened the other way around I can't imagine the stink on here.

Why didn’t Stokes tell Duckett to walk after Starc if we want to argue spirit of the game?

Is Broad not walking in 2015 within spirit of the game?

Can’t pick and choose when it applies.
Again, very different examples.

Carey simply realised Bairstow was being a dopey bonehead. It makes the dismissal even more inglorious IMO. There's no honour in the manner of that dismissal. It's the sort of thing that promotes punch ons in local cricket. 100% against the spirit of the game.

In a stumping situation when a batsman accidentally raises his back foot but not actually going for a run should they be called back?

As for McCullum he has form and I don't think he called back someone once, as someone else said talk is cheap.

In a stumping situation when a batsman accidentally raises his back foot but not actually going for a run should they be called back?
I saw footage this morning of Bairstow doing just this in a county game back in 2014. Can’t find it again on FB though.

Went out that way myself once, it never happened again.
The laws of cricket says that the balls "alive" until the umpire says otherwise. You don't leave your crease until the ball is on its way back to the bowler. Park cricketers know that, Test cricketers definitely should.

All correct the issue is do you take advantage of those opportunities or not same as a mankad within the rules but perhaps a little sneaky in practice.

My view is I don’t like it and I wouldnt do it and that won’t change. Dont care how many videos are dug up showing such and such doing similar things you set your own character lines what someone else does isnt relevant.

Bairstow tried to run Labuschagne out the same way the day before, so the Poms can't claim to be holier than thou. They wouldn't have called him back if he was given out.

They can whinge all they like, they're no different to the Aussies.

As for Thumper Stokes, the honourable Pommie Captain, he wasn't so honourable when he, punched the living suitcase out of a bloke at a nightclub a few years ago. Many strings were pulled to get him off those charges.
You mean this

Australia have been playing the game in the right spirit under Cummins but the Poms still hark back to the days of Ricky Ponting's team & sandpapergate. They even like to excuse their own boorish beaviour with it ie Robinson's antics last test.

*smile* them. It's professional sport & this was in the rules of the game.

Can't have your cake & eat it too. Sooks.

Reactions: 7 users