Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Pat Cummins in his post match presser said Bairstow tries to run out batters all the time in the same fashion as Carey, did it to Smith in 2019.

And as for Stokes saying he would’ve recalled Bairstow in “the spirit of the game” I wonder why He didn’t insist that Ben Duckett was out when Starc took that catch?

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting. Stokes just said if the shoe was on the other foot, they would have played “within the spirit of the game”.

Haha, Steve smith getting man of the match gives ‘em something more to boo about.

Pogue mahone ya whinging poms
Stokes not too concerned about the spirit of anything when he belted the *smile* out of a bloke a few years back.

Reactions: 9 users
Looks like Abercrombie, Woodward and Dankworth are suspended whilst under investigation. Oh well, that’ll give them time to learn up on the rules of cricket. Maybe settle into the reading room of the East India Club, few Bombay gins and bone up on matters. Get their nappies changed in the process.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Another Aussie win - tick
Another Soap Dodger loss - tick
A bunch of whinging unhappy Poms - tick
Spirit of the game wasn’t an issue when Duckett was out caught and the Poms started bowling bodyline.
They can all FRO as can their sheep shagger captain and coach.

Reactions: 1 users
Great win but should’ve been wrapped up a lot earlier, probably soon after Bairstow was stumped.

This was when Stokes started going bananas.

When we gifted 8-9 sixes in the same part of the ground. That’s a half century of stupidity right there.

Starving Stokes with nagging line and length, forcing a wider array of proper cricket shots to pierce the field, would’ve served much better.

The holding pattern of bouncing a perfectly comfortable Stokes for four balls an over, then trying to dislodge Broad in the same fashion for two balls an over was lunacy.

If it wasn’t for Carey’s alert and smart keeping we would’ve famously thrown that test away and let Stokes be the hero again.

We were still bouncing Tongue and Anderson in the end. With boundary protection for Anderson.

To secure a 2-0 lead was awesome but I am left with a bitter after taste with some of Cummins’s decisions.

Reactions: 5 users
Great win but should’ve been wrapped up a lot earlier, probably soon after Bairstow was stumped.

This was when Stokes started going bananas.

When we gifted 8-9 sixes in the same part of the ground. That’s a half century of stupidity right there.

Starving Stokes with nagging line and length, forcing a wider array of proper cricket shots to pierce the field, would’ve served much better.

The holding pattern of bouncing a perfectly comfortable Stokes for four balls an over, then trying to dislodge Broad in the same fashion for two balls an over was lunacy.

If it wasn’t for Carey’s alert and smart keeping we would’ve famously thrown that test away and let Stokes be the hero again.

We were still bouncing Tongue and Anderson in the end. With boundary protection for Anderson.

To secure a 2-0 lead was awesome but I am left with a bitter after taste with some of Cummins’s decisions.
Good post. Summed up perfectly.

Good to get a win, but that was insane captaincy and tactics which almost cost us the match.

Looking forward to the response from Bairstow and McCullum now that they have been exposed as hypocrites, having done the same thing as Carey. They obviously thought it was quite an acceptable thing to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Hah hah hah...good old crusty, whining, losing, hypocritical England again.

They get run out and *smile* and whine - despite having done the same thing to someone else themselves. And Broad and co *smile* and whine about all the short deliveries they received, when they spent nearly an entire day bowling 6 an over of exactly the same thing the day before. Can't make this stuff up.

STFU England.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Not sure when it started , but the Aussie cricket team has been as poorer a team that we’ve produced with representing our country that I can remember , Gilly stands out with his sportsmanship. David Warner is the greatest cheat , unsportsmanlike character to ever wear the baggy green

Not saying its not out just that its not the right way to play

Went out that way myself once, it never happened again.
The laws of cricket says that the balls "alive" until the umpire says otherwise. You don't leave your crease until the ball is on its way back to the bowler. Park cricketers know that, Test cricketers definitely should.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Laws of game paramount for Starcs catch, not for Bairstow stumping.
2) Pope did a similar run out recently, McCullum did it twice when he was playing (expressed regret years later apparently but who cares)
3) The carry-on that that was what won it for us is ludicrous.

Reactions: 8 users
Frustrating to lose that game. Twice in each innings have we blown a good position to be in.

The 1st innings was where we lost the game though (and I hope the players haven't forgotten that), to go from 2-208 after 42 overs to all out for 325 in 76 was awful. We From the position the first 3 batters got us into, we shouldn't have been surrendering a lead going into Australias 2nd innings but we gave up almost a 100 run deficit which ultimately cost us the game.

The Bairstow dismissal, I get it riled everyone up, but to me it was stupidity. There wasn't any break in play between Carey getting the ball into the gloves and then throwing at the stumps, it was a complete lack of awareness from Bairstow which ultimately may have lost us the game too.

I thought Cummins captaincy was awful though. To have pretty much every fielder back on the ropes when Stokes was batting was poor. If his knee wasn't hurting as much then he likely would have nursed the strike more by trying to pick up 2's, and for every over to essentially allow him to take a single in the last 3 balls (that must have gone on for at least 10 overs) was very poor. If you are going to do that you want to stop the easy singles square of the wicket, but he didn't do that. Was just hoping Stokes got 1 wrong.

I always felt that 2nd innings was going to be a bridge too far for us, which is why I feel we lost it in our 1st innings batting, but I mentioned last night Broad and Robinson throwing their wickets away again last night once Stokes got out, that was really poor. You saw what Tongue did, another couple of 20's and you put pressure on the bowlers but Robinson in particular just comes out like some oaf and just swings the bat immediately. Poor poor batting from a guy who can actually bat a little bit too which is disappointing, they went out there as if we have 4 number 11's which we don't. Broad for example has a test century and 13 test 50's to his name

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon a lot of the criticism of Cummo captaincy and some of the bowling by the commentators was OTT. Its like they expect every ball and every over to be executed perfectly. They players are human, its the 5th day of an Ashes test with the game on the line. Stokes played a brilliant innings for the ages to get them back in the game, but that's what it took to get them an honourable loss. Cummins held his nerve and never panicked. The commentators were panicking. And besides, its easy up in the box.
I tend to agree. It wasnt perfect, and some of the bowling wasnt on line. But the only way England was going to win was for Stokes to score 200, and to do that he was going to need to hit another 8 sixers. Not impossible but always a tough ask.

I thought Cummins captaincy was awful though. To have pretty much every fielder back on the ropes when Stokes was batting was poor. If his knee wasn't hurting as much then he likely would have nursed the strike more by trying to pick up 2's, and for every over to essentially allow him to take a single in the last 3 balls (that must have gone on for at least 10 overs) was very poor. If you are going to do that you want to stop the easy singles square of the wicket, but he didn't do that. Was just hoping Stokes got 1 wrong.
They didnt take the twos though. As easy as Stokes made it look at times, he was forced to try to go over the top to score anything more than a single, and ultimately this got him.
The bowlers line was off around lunch, which gave him to many hittable balls, but once they corrected that the scoring dried up, which just invited Stokes to go after balls that werent right in the sweet spot.
Stokes had to go after them too, as Broad would have fallen eventually. He did well to hang around, but there was certainly a lot of luck in where a few of his fends ended up.

Reactions: 2 users
New Zealand allrounder Colin de Grandhomme had an untimely blip in his concentration as he got run-out standing outside the crease while looking at the on-field umpire following an LBW shout against England in the first Test at Lord's.

The strange run-out took place at the start of the critical Day 3 at the 'Home of Cricket'. Having just walked up to the crease, De Grandhomme had a major LBW shout from England pacer Stuart Broad turned down against him.
The ball hit the right-hander on the upper part of his front pad and went to the slip cordon, where an alert young Ollie Pope took his opportunity and caught the batter well outside his batting crease

I do hope that Ben Stokes reflects about the manner of this dismissal and the spirit of the game.
*sore loser
It was nothing like the CDG one. CDG actually starts to look for a run. He was genuinely run out. Ridiculous comparison.

And to say Carey threw the ball without pause doesn't make it any better. Makes it morse. The fact is he noted Bairstow leave his crease the 2 balls earlier. He knew Bairstow wasn't trying to gain any advantage or trying to run. He wasn't taking guard outside of his crease. Carey simply realised Bairstow was being a dopey bonehead. It makes the dismissal even more inglorious IMO. There's no honour in the manner of that dismissal. It's the sort of thing that promotes punch ons in local cricket. 100% against the spirit of the game.

McCullum changed over the period of his career and became a very honourable cricketer. I have no doubt he would have called the batsman back.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users