Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

The Aussies played and missed quite a bit, but played the loose ball very well.

Once again too many sundries, 36 is way too many in a days play at any level, let alone test cricket.

Reactions: 1 users
That was probably one of the worst bowling performances I've seen from England for a long while.
It was lacklustre. Barring a late order collapse we should make 450-plus.

2 things that stood out, No barmy army. And no mention of the B-word, thats not a gloat, just an observation.

I'm loathe to write-off champions, and I don't think I am, I'm a fan of Anderson and Broad, but 2 oldies in the same side is looking a bit iffy. I'd look at alternating them.

Khawaja and Warner were very, very good in soaking up that shiny Duke.

Ussie was there to survive early doors but every other batsman looked to put away anything too full or wide.

It was a masterful batting display from the no.1 test team in the world.

This team is really growing now. The brittle collapses of the post-Pup era might finally be fading.

The Aussies played and missed quite a bit, but played the loose ball very well.

Once again too many sundries, 36 is way too many in a days play at any level, let alone test cricket.

Leg byes I can live with, you are getting the ball in the rightish areas but straying a touch too wide down leg stump usually, but 12 no balls!! Robinson had 6 of them, he's supposed to be a great line and length bowler, but he's bowling slowly and overstepping. No form and I think unfit.

Add to those noballs 13 byes!! What the actual *smile*!! I didn't watch the whole day obviously as sleepy time came, but I saw 1 of those from Robinson again, it was probably bowled half a metre outside leg stump. Bairstow just sort of scowled back, like "mate, what the *smile* was I supposed to do with that crap".

On his showing so far, Robinson cannot be in the team for the 3rd test. He's supposed to be the 1 taking some of the slack off Anderson and Broad, so they become 2nd option bowlers, but he's showing nothing so far to indicate that he can be a primary opening bowler for us.

It was lacklustre. Barring a late order collapse we should make 450-plus.

2 things that stood out, No barmy army. And no mention of the B-word, thats not a gloat, just an observation.

I'm loathe to write-off champions, and I don't think I am, I'm a fan of Anderson and Broad, but 2 oldies in the same side is looking a bit iffy. I'd look at alternating them.
I'm wondering how Broad and Anderson pulled up after the first test, they bowled a lot of overs, and at their age it looked liked they were struggling in this test.

Anderson shouldn't have played on that first test road, I reckon it took the edge off him for this test. The same goes with the Aussies selection for the first test, Starc would've been more suited on that deck, and Boland more suited on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That was probably one of the worst bowling performances I've seen from England for a long while.

Anderson was good but wasn't bowled enough. Broad was ok. Tongue was good but expensive but Robinson, geez. I've always thought he was a bit of a fat plodder, if he actually worked on his fitness, he could have easily focused on the action etc and with his height could get his speeds up close to 90mph, but nope, he plods in at less than 80mph on average which is frankly a pie chucker when you come up against a team like the aussies.

Doesn't help when we drop chances that we should take. We largely lost the first test due to missed opportunities and we should be taking those chances like Root (too deep) and Pope (sure it went fast but you have to take them, Green would be there for the aussies and I'm 99% sure he would have taken that).
Yep, you gotta hold those early chances. Watching the replay and you'd think pope had never done any slips catch practising. His eyes are nowhere near tracking the ball, he was lucky it hit his hands. It was a decent height and to his dominant right hand side, yeh it was quick but just must be taken.

And yeh the pitch offered assistance but they couldn't build enogh pressure with their line and length.

And Robinson is a slob, great to see him treated like one.

Will be a test of the Poms mettle from here.

Smith got hundreds for fun in the last Ashes series.

I think you mean the 2019 series that @spook refenced, not last one in 21-22. Yeah, it was his first series back and it looked like he just got better. But since then it's obvious that Smith is a mere mortal. A very very good batsman, one of the best in the world, but mortal.

No-Balls and dropped catches are nearly always the obvious signs that a cricket team:

1) Doesn't have it's head in the game, primarily because 2) It hasn't prepared sufficiently

Considering the Poms decided to forego cricket preparation in lieu of a week playing golf together. Questions will be asked.

In saying that, their putting has improved immensely.

Reactions: 2 users
Yer and the Lords toffs apparently booed him as he paused briefly to appreciate the place before walking out to bat. Who knows if his final test there? Such a mean-spirited lack of class and sportsmanship for an all-time great batsman with a magnificent record there. And if he failed they'd no doubt jeer at him all the way off.

The 'lords' aren't the cricket-loving fans of yore any more. Just low-grade snobs.

Cricket is very strange sometimes,

Exhibit A: first test, Crawley edge, nobody realised except maybe the man himself. Wasn't insubstantial either according to snicko. Not even a hint of an appeal, commentators oblivious, a kid in the TV van picked it up and they showed it a couple of overs later. Everyone was WTH?

Exhibit B: second test last night, was appeared to be a massive edge, or at least a loud "snick", whole English side went up, umps finger went up, gone I thought, I heard it, SS appeals straight way with confidence, DRS, no snicko, 5-10mm daylight between bat and ball. Everyone, except Smith, was WTH? No explanation was provided, no theorising from the commentators, what was the noise? Buggered if I know.

Exhibit A big snick no noise, was out but nobody realised.

Exhibit B big noise no snick! Everyone thought it was out but it wasn't.

Exhibit B: second test last night, was appeared to be a massive edge, or at least a loud "snick", whole English side went up, umps finger went up, gone I thought, I heard it, SS appeals straight way with confidence, DRS, no snicko, 5-10mm daylight between bat and ball. Everyone, except Smith, was WTH? No explanation was provided, no theorising from the commentators, what was the noise? Buggered if I know.

Bat making some sort of sound as it moves through? Its happened before, I remember it happening to Langer I think in the early days of reviews.

Bat making some sort of sound as it moves through? Its happened before, I remember it happening to Langer I think in the early days of reviews.
Buggered if I know. Maybe. Bat or ball didn't seem hit anything else, feet movement on the pitch didn't align. I was waiting with genuine interest for the commentators to offer-up a theory, nothing. The noise in real time seemed to align exactly with the ball passing the bat.

I think you mean the 2019 series that @spook refenced, not last one in 21-22. Yeah, it was his first series back and it looked like he just got better. But since then it's obvious that Smith is a mere mortal. A very very good batsman, one of the best in the world, but mortal.
Yes that's correct, when Archer sconed him.

I'm surprised that England haven't bounced both Smith and Head, they'd love to have Archer available.
I'd have Wood in, even if he's only good for short spells. Tongue has got reasonable pace, he should test out Smith with a bit of chin music today.
Surely they've got a better bowler with a bit of pace than that trundler Robinson.

Full credit to Duckett. Not many gypsy carnies from Romany caravan squatters make it to test cricket.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users