Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Reckon I'd probably bore myself off a cliff if I was to retire. Fairly tough n leathery old bastard so I can still manage around 10.00 pm on a week night, that 7.30 crap is for nancy boys. I'd only be awake during the last session if I gotta get up n go for a midnight *smile* break, probably wouldn't be the best idea to start catching up on the game coz I'd never get anymore nappin in before going back out to work.

I've never understood this notion of going to bed earlier as you get older, I tend to go to bed later. used to go to bed around midnight but now struggle to get to bed before 1am.

Anyway, we'll see if the poms can beat us at Lords, we win this they are in real trouble.

DS

That ball was an absolute peach.

Aussies will be wary of that from Tongue now you would think.

Keen to see how Marnus goes here.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's a green top, I reckon that's a mistake, and England will be happy with that change.
Sorry, a mistake by who? You think this pitch hasn't been prepared to facilitate an English victory? Or that any test wicket over there is prepared randomly for an Ashes test - given predictable weather?

No, deliberately prepped to return to favorable conditions for Broad, Anderson, Robinson and Co. They've reverted to the best type of pitch to really assist the home team, but kept mum about it to avoid the embarrassment for Stokes with the failure at Edgbaston on the hard, dry, fast (?) pitch he said he wanted for BazBall to undo the Aussies ... which failed, even though so did our top order.

In facts, Poms got everything they wanted - won the toss, heavily overcast weather, rain to slow the outfield and a green track. No mistake! They badly want to level the score.

Last edited:
That was coming for Warner. Batted well but some luck thanks to Pope's miss. Tongue bowled two of those and he couldn't get a bat on either.

Well done SS. Quietened the Pommies hopes quick in that review.
Terrible coverage! Did they ever show the ump raise his finger? But he must have. So based on what he saw, or heard? Or just all the Pommie appeals? Missed by an inch - that's huge.

Reactions: 1 user
Marc Boland out. Jefferson Starcship in.
Is that confirmed Redders?
If it's a green top, I reckon that's a mistake, and England will be happy with that change.
Sorry, a mistake by who? You think this pitch hasn't been prepared to facilitate an English victory? Or that any test wicket over there is prepared randomly for an Ashes test - given predictable weather?

No, deliberately prepped to return to favorable conditions for Broad, Anderson, Robinson and Co. They've reverted to the best type of pitch to really assist the home team, but kept mum about it to avoid the embarrassment for Stokes with the failure at Edgbaston on the hard, dry, fast (?) pitch he said he wanted for BazBall to undo the Aussies ... which failed, even though so did our top order.

In facts, Poms got everything they wanted - won the toss, heavily overcast weather, rain to slow the outfield and a green track. No mistake! They badly want to level the score.
A mistake by the Aussies for leaving Boland out. I do hope Starc does well though.

5/339 off 83 overs, at 4.08 per over, after being sent in on a greentop, without a single reverse ramp shot. Cricket. It's entertaining when you play it properly, too.

Pitch flattened out in the second half of the day and the Aussies cashed in. All played well, apart from Green. Uzzi might have only made 17 but I always say it's how many the team makes when you're in that matters, and that was 73. Warner, Smith and Head all batted beautifully, and Marnus batted well after a scratchy start.

500+ from here and we'll see how the to-and-froms go.

Reactions: 2 users
What a glorious day of cricket. Can’t wait for tonight.

Poms looked thoroughly dispirited for much of the day, knowing they’d likely blown their chance to save this series.

They have a decent bowling attack but FFS their strength is the central pillar of Bazball - aggressive and deep batting.

They should’ve batted first. Conditions were always going to improve after the first session.

Reactions: 1 users
That was probably one of the worst bowling performances I've seen from England for a long while.

Anderson was good but wasn't bowled enough. Broad was ok. Tongue was good but expensive but Robinson, geez. I've always thought he was a bit of a fat plodder, if he actually worked on his fitness, he could have easily focused on the action etc and with his height could get his speeds up close to 90mph, but nope, he plods in at less than 80mph on average which is frankly a pie chucker when you come up against a team like the aussies.

Doesn't help when we drop chances that we should take. We largely lost the first test due to missed opportunities and we should be taking those chances like Root (too deep) and Pope (sure it went fast but you have to take them, Green would be there for the aussies and I'm 99% sure he would have taken that).