Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

There was an article on the ABC app, can't remember the details but I think it was along the lines that COVID is now endemic in India.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
How is India managing to keep cases and deaths under control atm with only 10% vaccinated, with such density in population and considering the delta outbreak started there? What are they doing different to everyone else?

This is the article David S is referring to. It says the majority of the population have already contracted the virus.

Not sure their death statistics can be relied upon, there were other stories of plenty of bodies being pulled from river banks.

India running at several hundred deaths per day, but that's not too bad considering the population. If the figures are right.

India running at several hundred deaths per day, but that's not too bad considering the population. If the figures are right.
As mentioned in a previous article (to which I was called a racist), excess deaths suggests the death toll from Covid in India was 8-10 times higher than the official record.

Whether that is continuing now, who knows. However, there are significant variances across the country so well worth trying to understand the impact. If its Ivermectin, thats fine, the closed studies will show that.

Think you are linking two issues.. mental health caused by lockdown (often in children as evident through calls to help.lines and GP visits) family separation due to border closure (and lockdown rules) .

Suicide rates aren't the only or even the main measure of a mental health of a group of people.

Border closures don't disrupt just "trade " as they said at Federation but the ability of people to move freely in their country for whatever reason. Some dangerous signs are emerging in those who hold power who have stumbled upon another way to exercise it.
It's interesting how lock downs and border closures can act as a double whammy to bring to light less than ideal living situations.

My father lives interstate (in one of the locked down states) and is in a second marriage that has been horrendous for years. They have bumbled along just kind of managing it for most of that time. He spent a lot of time away working, so it survived. He lost his job just before COVID. Was at that age that he would have liked to retire. But found he couldn't be at home around the wife and grown up children. So took a job locally, close to home, that got him out of the house most days. But that then fell through because of COVID lockdowns. So now is stuck at home - not able to go anywhere - with a family that hates him. It really brings these fractures to the fore.

Chatting to him yesterday on the phone for father's day. We're cordial, but I wouldn't say overly close. And he's never been a man that shows much affection or emotion. But the tone of him on the other end of the phone was totally different to any I have ever heard. He said to me as soon as borders are open he cannot wait to get down here. I think he actually does cherish my and my sister's children (even though he just doesn't have the emotional tools to express it) and needs that affection and human connection in his life. And hinted that if he does manage to get down here, he possibly isn't going back.

So the issues are two fold. 1) He is locked at home with a family who detest him, 2) He has no avenue to getting to any other family he does have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Driving to work this morning, heard on the radio news police had made further attempts to access data on the QR database. Theyve been denied. Seems to be an ongoig problem. A solicitor was worried that the Integrity of the QR code scanning & privacy setup purely for contact tracing is at risk. People wont use it if police use data for other reasons.

Driving to work this morning, heard on the radio news police had made further attempts to access data on the QR database. Theyve been denied. Seems to be an ongoig problem. A solicitor was worried that the Integrity of the QR code scanning & privacy setup purely for contact tracing is at risk. People wont use it if police use data for other reasons.
The whole use of QR codes will be interesting moving forward. People have feverishly accepted the need for them, but won't be keen to allow their every move to be tracked indefinitely.

what if someone wants to use this data to prove an alibi? works both ways...

what if someone wants to use this data to prove an alibi? works both ways...
I dont trust the cops 1 bit. I see mass fines being dished out. Just another revenue source. It was not meant for that. Purely for the contract tracing. Cops can go & get stuffed. A holes with some of their behaviours and over reach of their law limitations. Top cop had even mentioned they needed to address conduct of cops dealing the day to day average person who dont break the law. Approach things differently BUT u see too many videos posted were they insight trouble, abuse their limitations, make false intimidating claims towards people too. Seen a bit of footage. nah. they can GAGF as far as Im concerned. Lost my trust ages ago & I know a few in the force too(3 of them)

As soon as QR code fines go out, the whole system will fall apart. many wont scan in. thats the reality, no matter what we all might think.

If you need an alibi for a crime, I dont think that will be the last bit of info u might need (no talking covoid matters)

Last edited:
The whole use of QR codes will be interesting moving forward. People have feverishly accepted the need for them, but won't be keen to allow their every move to be tracked indefinitely.
yes. Purely meant for getting in touch with people when ONLY there is an outbreak and u happened to be in the place when it happened. U scanned in. People accepted it. Not for your overall movements.

Edit: give u 1 bit of info from a cop(but no longer i the force) who once was in a unit (high up - thats all I'll say). Police can access to tech that even when your phone is off, can access it. Turn it on. But they cant legally use it unless approved by a court for a warrant and need a damn good reason too b4 they are allowed to use that tech

They have made subtle comments last year that they can see people on movements of yr mobile and majority of people where following rules. They were rapt that small area movements done by majority of people. Many mobiles were static too.

Last edited:
I've not really bought into the whole QR codes concept. Have been vaccinated (well have had one shot, the second is in two weeks time), happy to wear masks where required, socially distance etc, but not really QR codes.

I suppose it's not QR codes per se. It's broader than that. I've not really bought into the concept that it's a societal expectation that one must have a late model smartphone (not just any old phone, must continually upgrade to a late model smartphone with all the latest capabilities) attached to their person at all times. And are in practical terms virtually being criminalised for not doing so in some contexts. Doesn't mean I avoid signing in. Sure, I do this manually where required. But not all establishments offer this and it is a bit of a nuisance. So tend to only go into shops/establishments when I really, really need to.

Where I foresee running into problems is that there is talk that vaccination passports will be somehow combined into the QR code system. Therefore meaning manual sign in becomes essentially impossible. My vaccination, while likely protecting me from the worst of the virus, becomes worthless as a means to go about every day life.

Last edited:
I've not really bought into the whole QR codes concept. Have been vaccinated (well have had one shot, the second is in two weeks time), happy to wear masks where required, socially distance etc, but not really QR codes.

I suppose it's not QR codes per se. It's broader than that. I've not really bought into the concept that it's a societal expectation that one must have a late model smartphone (not just any old phone, must continually upgrade to a late model smartphone with all the latest capabilities) attached to their person at all times. And are in practical terms virtually being criminalised for not doing so in some contexts. Doesn't mean I avoid signing in. Sure, I do this manually where required. But not all establishments offer this and it is a bit of a nuisance. So tend to only go into shops/establishments when I really, really need to.

Where I foresee running into problems is that there is talk that vaccination passports will be somehow combined into the QR code system. Therefore meaning manual sign in becomes essentially impossible. My vaccination, while likely protecting me from the worst of the virus, becomes worthless as a means to go about every day life.

I only learnt you have to sign out today!

If I got Covid, would the tracers think I have been at The Gabba since October 2020?

Having been in India during that period, they would have no idea what the numbers were, even if they wanted to report them correctly.

Piles of corpses were being burnt in all sorts of places, and there would be no record of any of them.
I saw a BBC report during the crisis in India. They went to a small village that wasn't particularly remote. The people there said there were Covid cases in every house. They asked one guy about the Government's reporting of the death rate and he replied "out here they don't even count the living let alone the dead".

Reactions: 4 users
I only learnt you have to sign out today!

If I got Covid, would the tracers think I have been at The Gabba since October 2020?
Eternally lapping up our latest premiership until the next one. ;)

Hopefully you don't have to stay at the Gabba for 37 years Ezy.

Last edited:

This is the article David S is referring to. It says the majority of the population have already contracted the virus.

Not sure their death statistics can be relied upon, there were other stories of plenty of bodies being pulled from river banks.
I know they did some anti-body testing in parts of Indonesia and found that they number of people who had been infected was 50 times higher than reported. Having lived and worked in Indo for over ten years in the past, this does not surprise me at all.

Just read the ABC article about India and they said 2/3 of the population have anti-bodies. So there's 900 million cases if it's equal across the entire country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know they did some anti-body testing in parts of Indonesia and found that they number of people who had been infected was 50 times higher than reported. Having lived and worked in Indo for over ten years in the past, this does not surprise me at all.

Just read the ABC article about India and they said 2/3 of the population have anti-bodies. So there's 900 million cases if it's equal across the entire country.

Indonesia is definitely another I've been expecting the reality to be much worse than the official tally. 50 times is enormous though

Reactions: 1 users
yes. Purely meant for getting in touch with people when ONLY there is an outbreak and u happened to be in the place when it happened. U scanned in. People accepted it. Not for your overall movements.

Edit: give u 1 bit of info from a cop(but no longer i the force) who once was in a unit (high up - thats all I'll say). Police can access to tech that even when your phone is off, can access it. Turn it on. But they cant legally use it unless approved by a court for a warrant and need a damn good reason too b4 they are allowed to use that tech

They have made subtle comments last year that they can see people on movements of yr mobile and majority of people where following rules. They were rapt that small area movements done by majority of people. Many mobiles were static too.

Not sure about turning your phone on if it's off. But if it's on they could activate microphone and camera pretty easily, also find out where it is.

But governments around the world are putting in "security" cameras. There is technology readily available commercially to identify someone in a crowd of people and track that person across multiple cameras. The newer tech will even attempt to identify the mood of the person. Happy, Sad, Angry etc.

FWIW London is the city with the greatest number of security cameras per sq mile.

Having been in India during that period, they would have no idea what the numbers were, even if they wanted to report them correctly.

Piles of corpses were being burnt in all sorts of places, and there would be no record of any of them.

were they burning used containers of Ivermectin too?