Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

76 Cases today. Reff Number 1.21.

2 week lockdown to be announced today. In before anyone asks… I haven’t heard anything about easing of restrictions.

even if that’s true, why can’t the federal government just legislate? They’ll have bipartisan support on this.
Agree.
Unsure why it wasnt one rule across the whole of Aust at all level of goverance.

I.am always perplexed when I read the frequent statements like this .. does the federal govt RUN my local GP? I
I pay the doc Medicare refunds me in part. I know docs have to be qualified registered etc but the clinic is owned by the non doctor widow of my late doctor. Don't see much government involvement day to day in GP clinics. I would think.they have to follow a lot of state health regs as well.

Maybe I should have said the vaccine rollout to GP's and pharmacists is presided over by the Federal Gov't, at least that what the Premiers keep saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good kicker at the bottom ! The link to WA hospitals under pressure without any covid. And have been on other occasions this year.
Now I know why McGowan is talking tough and staying shut... he is shitting himself if covid ever got in. There's always a hidden reason with politicians. (Also shuts me when afl fan boys say WA have "earned the right" to host GF. How?)

PRE good source of information.
Issue of the hospitals has been mentioned b4 and other essential services. Ive mentioned b4 the issue of trained/qualified people looking for work in WA, are not allowed to come into the State to obtain work.

But the narrative is we r safe, he is popular & doesnt appear many give a crap of issues unfolding. Hate to think if an outbreak happens. But like many pollies, it will be someones elses fault

NSW Good Work, looking to open up.

Vic Bad, out of control.
NSW has ruined it for everyone. Stuffen ScoMo and the *smile* Gladys that listen to him and hence didn't shut down in time. Now we are all *smile*!

The Federal Government can only exercise defined powers under Section 51 of the constitution which sets out their areas of responsibility. All other areas, ie: residual powers, are left to the states. This can complicate things in the situation we have now. Of course, the Feds have other powers, such as the power to withhold funds - it is also worth noting that if you read the constitution (not recommended unless you have insomnia) you will notice that income tax is a state power. We all know the Feds do income tax, they managed to grab that in WWII and never lost it despite some High Court challenges (in the USA income tax rates vary by state for this reason).

So, getting a national approach does involve some negotiation and argy bargy because of the split in the powers of the 2 levels of government.

I still think that the effectiveness of vaccines will rely to some extent on the number of cases at the time we reach each level of fully vaccinated people. The number of cases also impacts a lot on contact tracing. So, we need to get the numbers down as much as we can.

DS

1,164 new cases in NSW. Is it going up, stabilising or dropping?

Who knows? But hard to tell at the moment. Same as Vic in that sense, hard to see where the numbers are going.

DS

JIBBER JABBER https://www.crikey.com.au/

Australians are more worried about job losses and financial stress than COVID-19 outbreaks and deaths, The Australian ($) reports. Market research firm YouGov quizzed 3114 adults last week. They found half of the respondents wanted lockdowns to end when we reach the 80% vaccination threshold (so far, 34.4% of eligible Australians older than 16 are fully vaccinated), while just 22% believed lockdowns should continue until case numbers fall to zero. In another poll for Guardian Australia which spoke to 1100 people, Victorians were more likely to think the restrictions are too strong, compared to people in NSW.

Meanwhile, the AFR says Western Australia is the most vulnerable place for a COVID outbreak because so few people are vaccinated. Phillip Coorey says an outbreak could spread at three times the rate of NSW, saying the reproduction rate would be 3.09 (every infected person would infect three others). It would mean massive strain on WA’s health system — and comes as the Australian Medical Association has thrown its support behind mandating the jab for every person working in the Australian health sector, The Age reports, saying the country’s system simply would not cope otherwise when we ease restrictions.

And Virgin Australia agrees with rival Qantas: let’s get flying by Christmas. Virgin boss Jayne Hrdlicka says she’s “not sure what we’re waiting for” in opening up routes to well-vaccinated countries (erm, more vaccines I’d say). But she’s staunchly against so-called vaccine passports — she reckons it would make us feel less like a unified country if you needed a “passport” to travel to different states, as ABC reports.

We are a country divided no doubt ....

Issue of the hospitals has been mentioned b4 and other essential services. Ive mentioned b4 the issue of trained/qualified people looking for work in WA, are not allowed to come into the State to obtain work.

But the narrative is we r safe, he is popular & doesnt appear many give a crap of issues unfolding. Hate to think if an outbreak happens. But like many pollies, it will be someones elses fault

Interesting, having under-resourced health systems is a big issue. And they need to get a move on with vaccinations given the situation is spinning out of control in the east.

I still know which situation I'd rather be living in though - WA where I can go anywhere and do anything, or VIC/NSW where I'm in lockdown now for most of this year, or at least it feels like it. And I missed out on the lockdown last year being overseas.

Seems like he's doing the right thing by westaussies to me.

1,164 new cases in NSW. Is it going up, stabilising or dropping?

Who knows? But hard to tell at the moment. Same as Vic in that sense, hard to see where the numbers are going.

DS

yeah, a factor more of who gets tested when... you can only observe the true trends through rolling averages.

Interesting, having under-resourced health systems is a big issue. And they need to get a move on with vaccinations given the situation is spinning out of control in the east.

I still know which situation I'd rather be living in though - WA where I can go anywhere and do anything, or VIC/NSW where I'm in lockdown now for most of this year, or at least it feels like it. And I missed out on the lockdown last year being overseas.

Seems like he's doing the right thing by westaussies to me.
No doubt & agree too.

Its more I fear what might happen if an outbreak happens. Also u cant indefinitely shut out WA to the rest of the country. Dont think Covoid will disappear for a few yrs to come.

No doubt & agree too.

Its more I fear what might happen if an outbreak happens. Also u cant indefinitely shut out WA to the rest of the country. Dont think Covoid will disappear for a few yrs to come.

Yes, that's scary to contemplate Al.... WA and Australia can't lockdown forever, agree.

Vaccinate as fast as possible.

Looks like Dan's gotta plan tomorrow. Probably finally woken up from his deluded Covid-Zero thoughts.

Good news that another 500,000 Pfizer doses have been procured, this time from Singapore next week by way of a swap meaning we receive the 500k early and we will be in a position to ship stock back to them in December when our other stock is assured.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The options are half-assed lockdown like NSW, hard lockdown like Vic or Let-It-Rip. Which one do you choose?
Just sounds like he's finding a way to move forward instead of staying like this every time which is not getting anywhere.