Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

not huge...but a signal i saw during the week to say "shes over"

AN old man down the road from me mows his lawn every week, in his mask.
He lives 100m from anyone and a car may drive past every now and then, but he mows in a mask anyway (regional Vic)
He doesnt see anyone or go near anyone for this 1 hour period...but he wears it.

I actually thought months ago, it was ridiculous.. The poor bloke... , i contemplated saying, "Mate - take it off"
But i didnt.

Anyway, 18 months on...this week, he mowed the lawn maskless.

I then thought to myself...hmmm, this isnt good.
He might have got fully vaccinated only recently ?

Last edited:
Think Australian hospitals can't get overwhelmed?, Sydney are close:( . Who'd want to be a nurse in these times or any medical personnel on the frontline for that matter,

That's another thing that is being overlooked. The expected increase of hospitalisation and deaths when countries open up at 80% might be great for the public. Even if the hospitals have prepared and equipped themselves with enough ventilators and ICU beds to handle the increase, how are our Doctors and Nurses coping? Do we have enough trained people to deal with the increases? Their mental health will be impacted even more when things open up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Think Australian hospitals can't get overwhelmed?, Sydney are close:( . Who'd want to be a nurse in these times or any medical personnel on the frontline for that matter,

But it doesn't matter to Gladys, she doesn't care. As she says the only number that matters is the vaccination number and she needs the nurses "on the ground" putting vaccines in peoples arms, not looking after those pesky people that are sick and dying from her incompetence.

It certainly sounds like NSW are close to the tipping point. Keep watching those daily deaths (not that Gladys wants to tell you about those).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Interesting graphic showing vaccination rates in various electorates.

View attachment 13209

My very-left-leaning region of Darebin has one of the lower rates. Interesting that Melbourne is right near the bottom among metro areas; not much incentive to venture there for work or anything else if it can be avoided. Lots of young people residing there, presumably.
The most obvious explanation of that distribution is the older the average age of a locality the higher the vaccine rate. Older people have been eligible longer so their rates are higher.

Reactions: 1 users
American “anti-mask freedom defender” (?) dies aged 30 of COVID.
The ivermectin he was taking didn’t help. Maybe wrong dose?

Don't feel sorry for blokes like this but do for the kids left behind, what a selfish prick.

last time I saw the numbers Victoria was actually tracking higher than NSW in state based vaccinations per head of population.
I did the calculations NsW pop.22% bigger than Vic and NSw have done 37% more doses.
But now I see you were referring to "state based" doses....assume you mean vaccines given by other than GPs? Yes they are neck and neck Vic 65000 more in total.
It's GPs where NSw are streets ahead...64%.
Quite worrying is "Care" doses Nsw 343000 Vic 150,000... wouldn't be twice as many in care in nsw would there?

Good interview with ICU nurse in Sydney here.

She makes the point that they are nearly at capacity and are lacking ICU nurses who have been seconded to vaccination sites. Makes the point that we have neither enough skilled ICU nurses, and we don't have enough skilled nurses to deliver vaccinations either.

Of course she's scathing about the anti-vaxxers and the "covid is a hoax" crowd.

Also Ivermectin promoters can GGF - but that's from me.

So what will Australia do when the 80% vaccination level is reached, but there are still cases, there are still hospitalisations, there are still intensive care cases, there are still deaths…? What about when another variant surfaces, which it inevitably will…?

Do lockdowns just stay forever. Do international borders ever re-open…? There has to be a point when you mitigate the risks on a personal level, and get on with life.

Reactions: 4 users
So what will Australia do when the 80% vaccination level is reached, but there are still cases, there are still hospitalisations, there are still intensive care cases, there are still deaths…? What about when another variant surfaces, which it inevitably will…?

Do lockdowns just stay forever. Do international borders ever re-open…? There has to be a point when you mitigate the risks on a personal level, and get on with life.

Yep. At a certain point you say that we've done what we can with vaccines and move on, probably with new protocols for at risk populations like seniors. Roll out the vaccines as fast as you can, promote them as much as you can, then re-open.

We can't stay in lockdown forever. The only way out is vaccination.

Reactions: 1 users
I did the calculations NsW pop.22% bigger than Vic and NSw have done 37% more doses.
But now I see you were referring to "state based" doses....assume you mean vaccines given by other than GPs? Yes they are neck and neck Vic 65000 more in total.
Quite worrying is "Care" doses Nsw 343000 Vic 150,000... wouldn't be twice as many in care in nsw would there?
Yes that what I mean. Vaccinations under the control of the state Governments, through mass vaccination hubs and public hospitals mainly.

Care would probably be aged care and disability care, both federal responsibility

Exactly what we need to do. Give everyone a fair opportunity to get vaccinated. Have vaccination passports for flying, major events etc. Personal accountability is your freedom. Use it wisely in this case.

Reactions: 2 users
Some studies showing that although Pfizer/Moderna more efficacious at first, AZ gives longer lasting immune response.

1630228965128.png

Reactions: 1 user

Thats the rhetoric that you hear from both Dan and Foley. They constantly push that GP's are a Commonwealth not a State responsibility.

In NSW, the Commonwealth have ensured enough supply for GP's, they have not provided the other States with the same allowance hence we have far fewer opportunities to provide vaccines. I'm sure some would prefer to go to their GP rather than go to a specific vaccination hub.

Some studies showing that although Pfizer/Moderna more efficacious at first, AZ gives longer lasting immune response.

View attachment 13219
"Guessing" that the trend line will continue downwards on efficacy. From whats known, Pfizer still provides better efficacy, but that doesn't mean either are worse than each other. Putting it into context I think the flu vaccine is around 30% efficacy.

"Guessing" that the trend line will continue downwards on efficacy. From whats known, Pfizer still provides better efficacy, but that doesn't mean either are worse than each other. Putting it into context I think the flu vaccine is around 30% efficacy.

Yes, immune response will decrease for all vaccines over time, the interesting point here is that the drop-off for AZ is much less than Pfizer/Moderna, although they are more efficacious straight after vaccination.

The old "Pfizer is better than AZ" line is clearly not necessarily the case - you'll probably need a booster shot earlier with Pfizer than AZ. They may start mixing/matching booster vaccines of course, some data is showing that is beneficial.

Yes, immune response will decrease for all vaccines over time, the interesting point here is that the drop-off for AZ is much less than Pfizer/Moderna, although they are more efficacious straight after vaccination.

The old "Pfizer is better than AZ" line is clearly not necessarily the case - you'll probably need a booster shot earlier with Pfizer than AZ. They may start mixing/matching booster vaccines of course, some data is showing that is beneficial.
A lot of people will also get COVID while vaccinated which will boost natural anti-bodies.