Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

My 10 year old son has COVID at the moment. He's laying on the sofa - a bit tired, a bit of a headache, a bit of a cough, lost his apetite. Generally he's fine. We'll test him daily and when he tests negative again, we'll get back on with life. I'm double vaccinated, as is my wife. My 7 year old daughter will happily keep her distance.

COVID is not the monster it is purported to be in Australia - when you're vaccinated. Vaccinations, vaccinations, vaccinations...
Hope it all goes safe and well with your family. Sounds like you’re pretty responsible. (I like that 7 year old daughter quip…very funny).

My 10 year old son has COVID at the moment. He's laying on the sofa - a bit tired, a bit of a headache, a bit of a cough, lost his appetite. Generally he's fine. We'll test him daily and when he tests negative again, we'll get back on with life. I'm double vaccinated, as is my wife. My 7 year old daughter will happily keep her distance.

COVID is not the monster it is purported to be in Australia - when you're vaccinated. Vaccinations, vaccinations, vaccinations...
How did he catch it midsy?

How did he catch it midsy?
Not 100% sure but he did a school holiday sports camp for a few days last week, so we're assuming there. But there's been a lot of times he's been in contact with others in other places as well, so we can't say for sure.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. He'll been fine in a couple of days and then will have his own anti-bodies.

My 10 year old son has COVID at the moment. He's laying on the sofa - a bit tired, a bit of a headache, a bit of a cough, lost his appetite. Generally he's fine. We'll test him daily and when he tests negative again, we'll get back on with life. I'm double vaccinated, as is my wife. My 7 year old daughter will happily keep her distance.

Do you, your wife and daughter get tested daily as well? And what are the requirements/requests over there for cases and their contacts to remain in isolation?

Do you, your wife and daughter get tested daily as well? And what are the requirements/requests over there for cases and their contacts to remain in isolation?
No, no requirement for tests for the rest of us, unless we start showing symptoms - however I have done one as I'm T1 diabetic.

Neither is there a need for us to isolate as we're both double jabbed and my daughter is young enough not to have to.

We've moved on to living with it here - not going bananas when there's a case or two. If we get crook, we isolate until we're better. If we don't get it, we carry on living normally.

Personally, I still mitigate the risks with masks in shops, and plenty of hand sanitiser. I keep my distance from people where I can, but I've just been to Spain for a week and am going back in October for a week.

It's a risk I'm happy to take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Woah. Thanks for the run down Midsy. Answers a few Qs about double jab what to expect.
Thanks & good luck with it all & the little bloke

Wow...just having a read.
What a *smile* up the vaccination booking seems to be.
Bit of covid around in Vic this arvo I hear.

Wow...just having a read.
What a *smile* up the vaccination booking seems to be.
Bit of covid around in Vic this arvo I hear.
Does any booking system complete overload? Do freeways handle peak hour? Do you have to queue for coffee in the morning? Did centrelink *smile* itself when the covid payments started? Not sure what people expect? Veruca Salt would be thrilled.

Don't have the answer there.

But parents on hold for 2 hours on phone, then cut off is very poor (hundreds)

The internet I sorta get.

Does any booking system complete overload? Do freeways handle peak hour? Do you have to queue for coffee in the morning? Did centrelink *smile* itself when the covid payments started? Not sure what people expect? Veruca Salt would be thrilled.

computers are suppose to be really fast.

I cant ever remember the TAB crashing at 1430 on the first Tuesday in November?

Reactions: 1 user

Computers can handle plenty of load at near instantaneous speed. Your TAB analogy is a good one. Online gambling & gaming are good examples of this. Dealing with vaccination booking wouldn't require a lot of compute power.

All you need to do is pay for the computing horsepower to manage your load. If you under spec or try to do it on the cheap, so end up with Ticketek Grand Final ticket release scenarios.

Reactions: 1 users
COVID vaccine protection wanes within six months - UK researchers

Protection against COVID-19 offered by two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech and the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines begins to fade within six months, underscoring the need for booster shots, according to researchers in Britain.

After five to six months, the effectiveness of the Pfizer jab at preventing COVID-19 infection in the month after the second dose fell from 88% to 74%, an analysis of data collected in Britain's ZOE COVID study showed.

For the AstraZeneca vaccine, effectiveness fell from 77% to 67% after four to five months.

You've never been at the Marquis in West Hobart I take it. Every bloody year the system used to crash. Absolute clockwork!

Reactions: 1 user
I saw the waning vaccination protection figures.
I would take them as an estimate, not gospel, as very hard to accurately assess due to multiple mitigating factors.
But....it is to be expected that immunity will wane, as it does with all immune responses. This is completely normal.
However, covid is a rapidly mutating virus , like influenza, and for ongoing immunity a regular booster will be required.
So as I previously pointed out, we will need booster vaccinations to cover mutating variants on a regular basis.
Totally to be expected.

Reactions: 2 users

Computers can handle plenty of load at near instantaneous speed. Your TAB analogy is a good one. Online gambling & gaming are good examples of this. Dealing with vaccination booking wouldn't require a lot of compute power.

All you need to do is pay for the computing horsepower to manage your load. If you under spec or try to do it on the cheap, so end up with Ticketek Grand Final ticket release scenarios.
How? There are multiple gambling sites? Multiple options for people, I'm sure if there was only one system and everyone tried to get on at 2.50 it would crash.

Site is fine now, so 2 million people couldn't book at once for appointments weeks down the track? Such a non-issue.

How what? How can they cope? Have sufficient pipes into enough compute resources to handle the load. It's not that hard. In fact it's a lot easier these days with cloud pay-what-you-use based computing power. You don't have to buy equipment, you tell your provider you need more power and they'll turn it on. Assuming your code is well written and can fully use the resources it has available to it.

No, no requirement for tests for the rest of us, unless we start showing symptoms - however I have done one as I'm T1 diabetic.

Neither is there a need for us to isolate as we're both double jabbed and my daughter is young enough not to have to.

We've moved on to living with it here - not going bananas when there's a case or two. If we get crook, we isolate until we're better. If we don't get it, we carry on living normally.

Personally, I still mitigate the risks with masks in shops, and plenty of hand sanitiser. I keep my distance from people where I can, but I've just been to Spain for a week and am going back in October for a week.

It's a risk I'm happy to take.
650 people died in the UK in a week, including about 150 under the age of 65. which i guess compared to the nearly 10,000 deaths per week the UK peaked at is quite low.
I am not sure Australians would consider hundreds of deaths per week as living normally.

How what? How can they cope? Have sufficient pipes into enough compute resources to handle the load. It's not that hard. In fact it's a lot easier these days with cloud pay-what-you-use based computing power. You don't have to buy equipment, you tell your provider you need more power and they'll turn it on. Assuming your code is well written and can fully use the resources it has available to it.
So we spec it for a one hour window/one time only ever demand, for appointments made weeks down the track. If you log on today rather than yesterday it makes no difference? I would imagine that's a bit of a waste of money and resources, although I am an accountant not an IT boffin, it may be cheaper and easier than I know.

All that needs to happen now is Scomo has to make sure we've got the vaccines for these appointments.......

650 people died in the UK in a week, including about 150 under the age of 65. which i guess compared to the nearly 10,000 deaths per week the UK peaked at is quite low.
I am not sure Australians would consider hundreds of deaths per week as living normally.
Per Capita that about 250 deaths per week in Aust?

How many fully vaccinated people are dying per week?