Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

There are some logistical issues with drive throughs and I am not sure how they are being dealt with. We still require people to be observed for 15 minutes before they leave post vaccination so is that being done at drive throughs?

Each vaccination has to be entered into the Australian immunisation register as well and I assume that requires the right IT and staff.

Not saying it can’t be done but was wondering how it is being done on drive throughs?

Yeah, my daughter and her BF went through this morning. They booked AZ. No queue for AZ. Everyone wants pfizer. They were asked if they wanted to change to Pfizer but stuck with AZ, looked like a 2 hour queue.
Well done to them. Yep son hitting 2 hrs after his appt time. Not far off now.

Will be interesting to see nos of jab today. Like some relief its cranking up.

Talking to a person in NZ the other day they only had Pfzr.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some logistical issues with drive throughs and I am not sure how they are being dealt with. We still require people to be observed for 15 minutes before they leave post vaccination so is that being done at drive throughs?

Each vaccination has to be entered into the Australian immunisation register as well and I assume that requires the right IT and staff.

Not saying it can’t be done but was wondering how it is being done on drive throughs?
Yes. And yes. No different to registering vax details at other offsite locations like the Melbourne Convention Centre or Royal Exhibition Hall. They’ve been taking walk ups for months and months.

Drive thrus are immensely more efficient and safer. You have people quarantined to their car and not sitting in a crowded room or hall with hundreds of others. They’re outdoor and subsequently much safer for staff as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ian, do you know how our current breakout compares to our first major one and the current NSW one (in relation to comparative numbers at day x etc).

TODAY3.jpg

Victoria's outbreak ended on day 129 with 18,535 cases. on day 130 we had a doughnut day (October 17).

Reactions: 1 users
Well done to them. Yep son hitting 2 hrs after his appt time. Not far off now.

Will be interesting to see nos of jab today. Like some relief its cranking up.

Talking to a person in NZ the other day they only had Pfzr.
Yep hopefully we start seeing some higher numbers from today. Good to see there is a lot of demand out there.

I've come to the conclusion today that Ticketek is a world-class online booking system.

Hmm, either the rest of the world have rubbish ticketing systems, or the COVID Vax bookings are offering you a 4pm appointment when you ask for an appointment between 8am and 12noon. There is nothing remotely impressive about Ticketek.

The vaccination distribution is a bit of a dilemma. Getting large numbers of vaccinations to a hub or drive through would be easier than giving small numbers to many venues such as GPs, pharmacists etc. But then organising the mass vaccinations at one venue can be difficult. I would tend to go for all of the above if it can be arranged.

My first dose in May was a walk in to a deserted Jeff's Shed, it was a couple of days before the outbreak leading to lockdown 5, queues around the block literally 2 days later (I only waited that long because of having to wait 2 weeks after the flu vaccine). Second dose about a week and a half ago I had to make an appointment but it was very quick and they did ask for the appointment verification a few times. Getting AZ was quick.

I reckon the biggest issue with a drive through would be making sure that you get all the warnings etc about whatever vaccine they give you, I got a pile of questions about having AZ because under 60, kept saying the advice when I got the first dose was to get AZ if over 50, but still had to agree to all the warnings.

NSW numbers do not look good, not sure when they will turn this around.

DS

Hope our numbers are not hovering around this point:

View attachment 13174

Personally, I’m still a bit on edge about the VIC situation. But if we have a number in the 40's (or better) tomorrow, and a higher percentage of linked cases and people in quarantine during infectious period… then I think you can probably say with a bit of safety that the trend is heading in the right direction. And if we’re gonna beat this outbreak, now is the time it has to happen. We are 5 days into stronger restrictions, so we need to start seeing results of that.

5,000 a day. 24 minutes per person - including 25 mins observation.

We’re not doing 2 hour surgery in an operating theatre and dispensing anaesthesia here. Get on with it.

My only
5,000 a day. 24 minutes per person - including 25 mins observation.

We’re not doing 2 hour surgery in an operating theatre and dispensing anaesthesia here. Get on with it.

my only caveat Redford is that we have a shortage of nurses. The more nurses who vaccinate the less there are to work on hospitals and there is a finite resource, especially since we can’t import nurses from overseas at the moment

Last edited:
I too think the vaccination process is far too slow and cumbersome.
If pharmacies are being allowed to vaccinate as they do for the flu, then we don't need many nurses.
Anaphylaxis is remarkably rare....emergency care just needs to be available in the vicinity ie ambulance.
There is no need for such long waits post vax.
We are too precious here.
This is an horrendous pandemic that requires extra ordinary measures immediately to deal with it.
Open mass walk up hubs and vaccinate constantly. Litigation exemption, explanation and consent minimum,
online vax recording should be almost instant provided Medicare card available,so I see no reason to be this slow bar vax availability.
I too had mine at Jeff shed. Very nice but cumbersome.
Large numbers of staff, multi question and consent and post vax time excessive.
This is a serious health pandemic and requires urgent resolution. Vax numbers far too slow.
Should be hubs open from sunrise to sunset seven days.
Geez...we could get the whole country done in six weeks.

Last edited:
15 minutes post vax time is just people sitting in chairs. It doesn't really slow the process down.

eDit although i guess they have to wait for one to go out before one comes in. fair enough.

Last edited:
My only

my only caveat Redford is that we have a shortage of nurses. The more nurses who vaccinate the less there are to work on hospitals and there is a finite resource, especially since we can’t import nurses from overseas at the moment
How many nurses do you need and how many are you already using in low production environments ie the ratio improvement ? We’re not talking about needing thousands of nurses here.

This isn’t hard. And as proof of that the government has now added 3 more drive thrus. With more to come. I suspect they’re using low volume GP’s and the like and their resources, and giving them basically, a free kick at goal commercially with these drive thru hubs v their low patient low $ outcomes in their practices.

All we need now are more and some bigger ones. Again, this is not hard.

Last edited:
I too think the vaccination process is far too slow and cumbersome.
If pharmacies are being allowed to vaccinate as they do for the flu, then we don't need many nurses.
Anaphylaxis is remarkably rare....emergency care just needs to be available in the vicinity ie ambulance.
There is no need for such long waits post vax.
We are too precious here.
This is an horrendous pandemic that requires extra ordinary measures immediately to deal with it.
Open mass walk up hubs and vaccinate constantly. Litigation exemption, explanation and consent minimum,
online vax recording should be almost instant provided Medicare card available,so I see no reason to be this slow bar vax availability.
I too had mine at Jeff shed. Very nice but cumbersome.
Large numbers of staff, multi question and consent and post vax time excessive.
This is a serious health pandemic and requires urgent resolution. Vax numbers far too slowi.
Should be hubs open from sunrise to sunset seven days.
Geez...we could get the whole country done in six weeks.
Thank you Peter. Precisely what I’m saying and advocating. Unfortunately though here in Australia we are not good planners, organisers and not good with numbers and logistics. Look at any roads, bridges, buildings etc that are ill conceived and need major re work after. (JB03 builds most of them). We can’t even organise extra trains at Richmond station on a Friday night for 85,000 at the G. Standard late night schedule…

Anyway, albeit very slow, appears the Vic government is about to expand drive thrus so they understand the massive exponential opportunity, and using small resource increases, so that’s good.

Pop ups should be a focus too , particularly in areas with cluster outbreaks. The St Kiida pop up they used the other week went gangbusters doing some 170 doses in the first 2 hours and I believe close to 400 for the day.

Quick, low resource, high volume outcomes. It can be done.

Last edited:
Yep hopefully we start seeing some higher numbers from today. Good to see there is a lot of demand out there.

Don't think there is a problem with demand Rancey:

Victorians are trying to book online COVID-19 vaccination appointments at the rate of 50,000 a minute, and more than 1.3 million people tried to contact the call centre to book slots after the state widened the availability of the Pfizer shot.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't think there is a problem with demand Rancey:

Victorians are trying to book online COVID-19 vaccination appointments at the rate of 50,000 a minute, and more than 1.3 million people tried to contact the call centre to book slots after the state widened the availability of the Pfizer shot.

I've been trying to book my Grandson in & having no luck, some places are quoting 12 weeks before an available Pfizer slot.

• Wow