Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Yeah, I went into hospital last year for a short procedure, no COVID test. Bit strange really, I could have arranged the test easily enough and if you put the responsibility on the patient then it doesn't create work for the hospital.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring, hopefully numbers going down but who knows.

DS

Depends on whether it is emergency surgery or elective. Emergency surgery was never a compulsory COVID test for obvious reasons.

There may well have been a breakdown in protocols in relation to this patient but emergency surgery has always been without COVID test if the wait for a test result would put the patient at risk.
My day surgery 3 weeks ago was non emergency, (Delta was around), but was not told to get Covid test even after I rang to see if I should so I gave them every chance to require it of me.

My day surgery 3 weeks ago was non emergency, (Delta was around), but was not told to get Covid test even after I rang to see if I should so I gave them every chance to require it of me.
Yes. My post was just addressing the point made that all surgery was post a COVID test when some emergency surgeries have never been.
I am not aware whether it changed for elective surgery , clearly it has at RMH.
I assume you were asked the screening questions on admission about symptoms and visiting any exposure sites ?

Do you know if or how often staff & contractors are systematically tested during a working week?
I doubt it is systematic although for staff who work with positive patients it is. As it is for hospital staff who work in hotel quarantine

I know that every hospital staff member and contractor does a declaration every day they are on site including if they have visited any exposure sites. If they have they have to test and isolate before returning to work.

I don’t know what happened with this case at RMH but I think you need to consider how many cases have actually got into hospitals or come from hospitals and that is very few. To be honest that is quite remarkable.

Probably doing the things to 100% eliminate risk would grind our system to a halt and given there is already a shortage of staff and capacity in the system the judgement has to be made whether it is worth it.

Ok if i have to spell it out it minimises the consequence of what happens if someone there is a spreader.

No need to be condescending.

So its fear & hysteria yeah

After that superspreading event you linked that had 15000 close contacts, Vic recorded, 14,28,14,12,12,11,10,8 & 7 positives.

I'm over it, no wonder the rest of the world are by all accounts laughing at us

Can someone explain to me why the crowds in Tassie for the 2 EF are capped @ 10k when Tassie has zero active cases

10k people times two heads is almost capacity.

hmmm does that mean Tasmanians are twice as likely to catch COVID.

Actually I heard on the radio that they may review the crowd restrictions but I think also that if a case were to appear at large events, the smaller the crowd the better it is for the contract tracers to get on top of it.

After that superspreading event you linked that had 15000 close contacts, Vic recorded, 14,28,14,12,12,11,10,8 & 7 positives.

Sure mate.

You are obviously frustrated so seems to me you were asking a question framed in that context to make your point.

We were in lockdown pretty soon after that event which is why the numbers are low!

I get frustrated by folks who don’t project out exponential growth and the impact to the hospital system so if that comes across as condescending then so be it. It’s a *smile* choice. Kill people or impact millions of others QOL / mental health / opportunities / education outcomes etc

You aren’t alone in being over it. I don’t know anyone who isn’t.

I imagine your government is trying to protect you from a prolonged lockdown and having a chance to quickly control it if something goes wrong given all states have signed up to the go hard and fast strategy until vaccination rates are higher.

i dont imagine the 100 people who died each day in the UK last week, , or their families, are laughing at us.

it is not fear and hysteria, Victoria has shown how quickly numbers can rise from zero even with harsh restrictions.

Reactions: 1 users
71 new cases; 49 linked so far.

No other details available yet.

:(

Raf Epstein is saying Shepparton and some new outbreak has taken up a large chunk of the numbers.

one saving grace for Melbourne is that the large outbreak in Shepparton, could help us get on top of it here. Tough times for Shepparton people though.

I'll also add that’s it’s an appalling failure that pre-Op COVID tests were stropped. It should be compulsory during any outbreak. very disappointing. I had to have one prior to minor surgery last September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
10k people times two heads is almost capacity.

hmmm does that mean Tasmanians are twice as likely to catch COVID.

Actually I heard on the radio that they may review the crowd restrictions but I think also that if a case were to appear at large events, the smaller the crowd the better it is for the contract tracers to get on top of it.
Can someone explain to me why the crowds in Tassie for the 2 EF are capped @ 10k when Tassie has zero active cases
And if the rules are consistent as they have been for the last couple of rounds where Tasmania have hosted matches. It will be a 10k crowd (which is around 40-45% of capacity at that particular ground) all having to wear a mask while at the ground.

I have friends that work at emergency services and the behind the doors discussion among the senior personnel in those departments is that it's inevitable that a case gets past the keeper at some point. Nearly like they are astounded that it hasn't already. So there is certainly no complacency on the government's part down here.

And as others have pointed out too. There was the infamous game at the MCG that is thought to have been a spreader event, when there were very low case numbers and people weren't really thinking that it was likely there were cases in the community.

I can't believe coved tests aren't mandatory in Oz hospitals. I had a procedure about a month ago. I had to sit 2 covid tests, the quick one and one that takes about 30min to and hour to get the results. Results were SMS'd to my phone, they warned me not to delete said SMS.

Every station, ward, new nurse I met asked to see my SMS to confirm the results of the test. Would have been at least 6 times before I was finally in my room.

Singapore is opening up now. Travel is permitted to various countries which are categorised. On returning some just need a negatives test before free movement is allowed, some home quarantine from 1 to 2 weeks and finally quarantine in quarantine centres. There is a difference in how vaccinated and non-vaccinated are categorised. In all instances non-vaccinated have tougher quarantine requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
i dont imagine the 100 people who died each day in the UK last week, , or their families, are laughing at us.

it is not fear and hysteria, Victoria has shown how quickly numbers can rise from zero even with harsh restrictions.
Im not discounting the grief caused by death, Covid or not

Australia's Suicide rate is about 10 a day in pre covid times, Id hate to think what is is in the current climate

And if the rules are consistent as they have been for the last couple of rounds where Tasmania have hosted matches. It will be a 10k crowd (which is around 40-45% of capacity at that particular ground) all having to wear a mask while at the ground.

I have friends that work at emergency services and the behind the doors discussion among the senior personnel in those departments is that it's inevitable that a case gets past the keeper at some point. Nearly like they are astounded that it hasn't already. So there is certainly no complacency on the government's part down here.

And as others have pointed out too. There was the infamous game at the MCG that is thought to have been a spreader event, when there were very low case numbers and people weren't really thinking that it was likely there were cases in the community.
it wasn't a spreader event though, as the numbers I quoted above attest

NZ's particularly low vaccination rate (slower roll out than even ours) now being exposed as a major weakness in their armour to manage the pandemic.