Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Disappointing number, good to see lots of them already isolating. Hate to think what NSW will record today. At least the testing numbers seem a bit higher in Vic now although I go for a ride some afternoons and I saw very few people at the testing place next to the Palais in StKilda.

Oh well, we just keep on plugging away and hope the numbers turn.

DS

A couple of colleagues and I were having a giggle about the fact that a sex worker was possibly a discovered transmission link in Melbourne. Surely all of the said sex worker's clients checked in with the app, or signed the sign-in sheet at the commencement of their visit.
Not just any old sex worker, a homeless sex worker. Before PC it would've been the more honest 'street prostitute'.

i am hearing a rumour that NSW are imposing a ring of steel from tomorrow, as well as closing all businesses (ie. Bunnings) and bringing in a curfew.

Reactions: 1 user
TAS is currently a Liberal State, not sure if we do? Did you read at all in that source whether we do or not?
To quote the most used phrase of 2021 on PRE, Tasmania is the least of our worries. You are an island off our island continent. No international airport, no ongoing HQ, no cases for a year, leading the walking slow vaccination race, low low risk.

Enjoy your beautiful island state without us mainlanders , it's the place I have been to more than anywhere else in Aust, walked a lot of the long distance tracks. Looking forward to return. Pity that Hobart has been raided by mainland property investors though, unless locals like the rises in values?

My brother does engineering work on the ferries, he goes on board in Melb straight to a cabin for the crossing, does not come out until everyone is off the ship, isn't allowed onto the dock even when working on the ramps, back into cabin before anyone comes on board. Has no contact with any Tasmanian.

Gladys starts with a RECORD of vaccinations. You know what else she had a record of.........................new cases again!

i am hearing a rumour that NSW are imposing a ring of steel from tomorrow, as well as closing all businesses (ie. Bunnings) and bringing in a curfew.
Scary article in the SMH today projecting that at present rates, and with some 4000 unlinked mystery cases NSW, they will hit 2200 cases a day within the next month.

Berejiklian is desperately trying to out run the the virus via vaccination now.

Back from getting tested (not related to St Kilda) reinforced my impression that there is a lot more traffic on arterial roads this year than last years lockdown. in depths of last year middle of day was like Sunday mornings in the 70s. Peak hours now is congested. Hardly objective but anyone else see the same?

Do we have a lot more essential workers in 2021?

Reactions: 1 users
To quote the most used phrase of 2021 on PRE, Tasmania is the least of our worries. You are an island off our island continent. No international airport, no ongoing HQ, no cases for a year, leading the walking slow vaccination race, low low risk.

Enjoy your beautiful island state without us mainlanders , it's the place I have been to more than anywhere else in Aust, walked a lot of the long distance tracks. Looking forward to return. Pity that Hobart has been raided by mainland property investors though, unless locals like the rises in values?

My brother does engineering work on the ferries, he goes on board in Melb straight to a cabin for the crossing, does not come out until everyone is off the ship, isn't allowed onto the dock even when working on the ramps, back into cabin before anyone comes on board. Has no contact with any Tasmanian.
All true. That said, having it eliminated in the state leads to an aura of complacency. So I'm not sure how quickly a sense of urgency would permeate through the population if a couple of cases did get past the keeper. Kind of similar to the social dynamics I have heard observed in NZ. Part of the reason New Zealand has been even slower than Australia on vaccination (not sure if this is still the case). At least vaccination roll out here hasn't been as snail paced as NZ, so that is one extra piece we have going for us.

I have friends who work in emergency services. And privately, the senior leadership personnel in those departments are kind of astounded we have not had at least one delta case get past the keeper. And there is a feeling of it's inevitability. But in saying that, over the past year, during those windows that borders have been opened. Interstate friends and family have said to me how much more stringent and organised the border procedures were coming into Tasmania than anywhere else they had travelled in Australia. Early on, it was very amateur hour. And Tasmanians do have an inbuilt self deprecating streak where there is an expectation that we are a bumkin backwater and everything here by default is apparently shitter than how it is done on the big island. But to their credit, the authorities here seem to be doing OK so far (and through fluke of circumstance, we are blessed with the natural geographical tools you infer). Not to say it couldn't go pear shaped quickly though.

Having said all of this, looking longer term, I'm not sure how much longevity the mentality in the state has for overall COVID management. It seems to be on the same page as WA. That there is to never be another case of COVID in the state ever again. Anything less than complete elimination under any circumstance is unacceptable, regardless of passing the 80% vaccination threshold. Sure, it might just be exaggerated rhetoric to please the polls. But if they are committed to actually meeting that rhetoric, devil's advocate would tell us that this literally means never opening ever again in any of our lifetimes.

My area is oblivious to mask wearing and distancing. And now we have tier 1 sites at places where there's the greatest collection of offenders. These spots have been doing my head in since the pandemic started and low and behold, they've become serious exposure sites. The cops drive past them every day, see what's going on, and do nothing.

Expecting a blow out in cases in Victoria and in my area locally.

Back from getting tested (not related to St Kilda) reinforced my impression that there is a lot more traffic on arterial roads this year than last years lockdown. in depths of last year middle of day was like Sunday mornings in the 70s. Peak hours now is congested. Hardly objective but anyone else see the same?

Do we have a lot more essential workers in 2021?
absolutely, this time around heaps of classifications have been added

NSW have broken one of Victoria’s records from last year (the first of many I’m sure). 8473 active cases passed the 7880 cases we peaked at last year.

• Love
Scary article in the SMH today projecting that at present rates, and with some 4000 unlinked mystery cases NSW, they will hit 2200 cases a day within the next month.

Berejiklian is desperately trying to out run the the virus via vaccination now.
Well that's the only way as everyone on here keeps saying. Smart to take actions where you have the greatestchance of influencing the outcome.

Any sense of desperation in Vic? Or are we all cool calm and collected?

Well that's the only way as everyone on here keeps saying. Smart to take actions where you have the greatestchance of influencing the outcome.

Any sense of desperation in Vic? Or are we all cool calm and collected?
Victoria needs to start going as hard as NSW while it can. In the "race" against the virus, due to its lockdown strategy, it has an opportunity. NSW's opportunity is narrow. Ours is greater but it wont last forever. Andrews and Weimar and Sutton need to talk as much about people vaccinating as they do testing and adhering to lockdown restrictions.

what a selfish dog. :mad: :mad: :mad:

my next door neighbour has to do 14 days Iso because of this person.

View attachment 13109
This needs to be highlighted more in the media. I can’t see how this person can keep their role as the parents will know who it is and will complain or worse.

Such a selfish idiot.