Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

A couple of colleagues and I were having a giggle about the fact that a sex worker was possibly a discovered transmission link in Melbourne. Surely all of the said sex worker's clients checked in with the app, or signed the sign-in sheet at the commencement of their visit.
true that. :)
Heard intially(unsure if true) she was homeless and working illegally. She is being looked after in HQ now. Govt wont fine her & said we need to tread lightly. They wouldnt disclose, i think, the area she was working in. Thus doing a blanket call to anyone who might have used a sex worker to come fwd to get tested.

*smile* that's ugly; real ugly. Particularly the 13 that were not in isolation the whole time.

We are in a bit of strife :(
Yep double the number out in the community than announced yesterday:(

54 of 57 linked, leaving 3 more mystery cases.

Last edited:
Where/How is it being transmitted?

Are most people catching it because they ignore the restrictions?

true that. :)
Heard intially(unsure if true) she was homeless and working illegally. She is being looked after in HQ now. Govt wont fine her & said we need to tread lightly. They wouldnt disclose, i think, the area she was working in. Thus doing a blanket call to anyone who might have used a sex worker to come fwd to get tested.
There was an article in the Tasmanian press this morning, coincidently, talking about this exact issue. Tasmania is one of the jurisdictions where the profession falls into a kind of legal grey area. Brothels are actually illegal in Tasmania. So that kind of work can only be done independently out of a private residence/apartment or a hotel/motel room....that kind of thing.....to be within the parameters of the law. And the question asked is whether these types of workers should carry a QR code of their own.

I think though, this is where what could or should be done in theory, comes up against societal reality.

Nonetheless, it did lead to some rather novel suggestions coming from the social media peanut gallery. Such as, that the QR code could be a tattoo such as a discreet tramp stamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Where/How is it being transmitted?

Are most people catching it because they ignore the restrictions?

I am hoping that the focus on the St Kilda area has paid off and contact tracers have caught most of the cases from that region. let’s hope this is by far the worst day of the outbreak, but the reff number of 1.46 is worrying.

However, you would think 13 wild cases is not as bad as it could be considering we have been in lockdown for 2 weeks now…. just trying to be positive I guess.

From what they're saying the number of cases today is something of a 'catch up', Raf Epstein tweeted: "HOWEVER most of the big increase are results of day 13 testing for people in isolation. So that part of the system is working." So it may not be as bad as it seems.

I am hoping that the focus on the St Kilda area has paid off and contact tracers have caught most of the cases from that region. let’s hope this is by far the worst day of the outbreak, but the reff number of 1.46 is worrying.

However, you would think 13 wild cases is not as bad as it could be considering we have been in lockdown for 2 weeks now…. just trying to be positive I guess.
Yes that R number is *smile* putrid. That is a long way from where it needs to be.

Disagree about the number of isolation cases; they are getting worse not better. I think this lockdown is going to be longer than any of us thought or hoped.

This is *smile*. Very over it :vomit

• Sad
From what they're saying the number of cases today is something of a 'catch up', Raf Epstein tweeted: "HOWEVER most of the big increase are results of day 13 testing for people in isolation. So that part of the system is working." So it may not be as bad as it seems.
The R number and the numbers not isolation are bad. Whilst we have those sort of numbers we are in trouble. Those 13 people not in isolation have likely infected another 19 people in total.

*smile* that's ugly; real ugly. Particularly the 13 that were not in isolation the whole time.

We are in a bit of strife :(
the 13 does not necessarily mean those 13 were out and about infecting people. it just means they werent identified as a close contact and quarantined before they started showing symptoms. hopefully they isolated quickly once those symptoms showed.

again like the last few days we are sitting in a holding pattern, numbers arent getting worse, or better, and could still go either way quickly.

Yes that R number is *smile* putrid. That is a long way from where it needs to be.

Disagree about the number of isolation cases; they are getting worse not better. I think this lockdown is going to be longer than any of us thought or hoped.

This is *smile*. Very over it :vomit
often though that R number is reflecting the fact that many are giving it to multiple household members- who are in isolation. so that number should drop. hopefully!

I think the biggest risk of transmission was identified pretty early - indoors in poorly ventilated spaces. I don’t think that’s changed. I think surfaces were considered big risks as well but I don’t think they’ve had much influence. Supermarkets have been open the whole time and always busy but not big transmission sites. If transmission from surfaces was occurring we would have 000”s more cases.
when i say learnings about transmission, i mean the household visits, the job sites most at risk, such as aged care and meatworks, those sorts of places. and the environments/communities where the virus is more likely to spread quickly, those with insecure casual work etc.

the NSW gov appears to have learnt some of those lessons but not all.

Think its time to face facts: the nation is going to be in a miserable state of lockdown and everything that comes with it for quite some time. This was always going to happen with a laggard vaccination program. Always. Only until we have a 70%-80% vax rate can we expect some form of restored freedoms and "normality" (whatever that may look like). The Queensland CHO was saying yesterday that if they get the cases they're expecting soon, they too will be flung back into lockdown and that it will most likely be for months. They wont lift it until they get 70% of the state vaccinated.

This is a race.

Reactions: 1 users
often though that R number is reflecting the fact that many are giving it to multiple household members- who are in isolation. so that number should drop. hopefully!
I hope you're right. But I also remember the NSW outbreak was hovering around similar numbers before it exploded. No doubt they have managed it poorly and in Victoria we have locked down very quickly. But it concerns me that we are 2 weeks into lockdown and the numbers are not getting better.

Hopefully that starts to turn around in the next few days. People still need to do the right thing.

I hope you're right. But I also remember the NSW outbreak was hovering around similar numbers before it exploded. No doubt they have managed it poorly and in Victoria we have locked down very quickly. But it concerns me that we are 2 weeks into lockdown and the numbers are not getting better.

Hopefully that starts to turn around in the next few days. People still need to do the right thing.
i hope so too.
NSW did not have the restrictions in place we do. Covid has not spread widely in any Australian city that has had an early proper lockdown.

That's the key. All moot if people continue to ignore the restrictions.