Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

All these mystery cases. We either have people breaching regulations and just not answering tracers’ questions properly, or, this Delta strain is so contagious that it’s transmitting via the most incidental of exposures and/or people not following safety protocols eg standing to close to someone, not wearing a mask etc

Maybe a combo of all of the above. Who knows.
Surely they could give us more info on where it is being transmitted? Or as you suggest are people lying about where they have been?

You are probably right. But we have got it to zero before and life was pretty good when we did. Kids sport, going to footy, being able to go out without a mask etc. They are pretty good incentives. It's not that hard for a few weeks is it?

I still don't understand why we are not given more info about where people are being infected? We have a big list of exposure sites where infected people have been but have people been infected visiting these sites at the same time? There are only 20 odd cases a day, did these people get infected at home or did they get it visiting a shop? It may change behaviour if people were scared to be out because the risk of catching it at a supermarket etc is higher. I know we are bemoaning maskless people at parks but are people catching it in those circumstances?
Each lockdown's harder and more dispiriting than the last. Hopes dashed again and again. Everyone has a breaking point, and if Victorians see Sydneysiders not giving a *smile*, a few here won't either.

Reactions: 2 users
Surely they could give us more info on where it is being transmitted? Or as you suggest are people lying about where they have been?

I think someone has been less than truthful with the contact tracers this time around.

Scroll down to about halfway down, you get a chart on the current outbreak. First 3-4 days you have 100% not in iso as the contact tracers do their stuff, then you see the red bar start to reduce significantly. As it gets low, those mystery cases just seem to appear. So essentially the contact tracers got to all the contacts they had been told about, and most in time to get those numbers down from 100% to about 25% not in iso. Then mystery cases appear (mystery as in unlinked) and then those cases not in iso rise again as the contract tracers then need to get on top of the new unknown cases. That red bar is starting to go down again now. The number in iso is on the rise again, so hopefully we can get on top of this over the next week.

Reactions: 1 user
True, but since it's kind of a snippet amid a very long page of dozens of similar snippets, I considered it fair game.

There isn't a way to link directly to the text, and the user would have spend time searching and scrolling to find it. Different story if the article merits its own page and a direct link.
No worries I am no moderator, I don't know what's what ;)

I think someone has been less than truthful with the contact tracers this time around.

Scroll down to about halfway down, you get a chart on the current outbreak. First 3-4 days you have 100% not in iso as the contact tracers do their stuff, then you see the red bar start to reduce significantly. As it gets low, those mystery cases just seem to appear. So essentially the contact tracers got to all the contacts they had been told about, and most in time to get those numbers down from 100% to about 25% not in iso. Then mystery cases appear (mystery as in unlinked) and then those cases not in iso rise again as the contract tracers then need to get on top of the new unknown cases. That red bar is starting to go down again now. The number in iso is on the rise again, so hopefully we can get on top of this over the next week.
Yeah. And that's why I am saying that one factor in amongst the difficulty of squashing this latest outbreak, is that people are doing the wrong thing and won't fess up to their activities e.g. visiting family homes which incidentally I note Weimar called household outbreaks yesterday as being diabolical in terms of trying to control things. Co-incidence ? Doubt it.

There's other factors e.g. transmissability of Delta, lax mask wearing etc but we've got too many people in Victoria doing seriously reckless things.

Each lockdown's harder and more dispiriting than the last. Hopes dashed again and again. Everyone has a breaking point, and if Victorians see Sydneysiders not giving a *smile*, a few here won't either.

yeah,

I just got back from my regional centre for the first time in lockdown.

pretty much everything except supermarkets and rural store and dan Murphys closed,

everyone complying like in March '20.

its like a ghost town, as it should be. and we've got no cases here

so the lockdown lite seems a Sydney thing.

someone will write a PhD on it,

I think Australia has probably become ungovernable by conventional democracy, with the disparity between rural/wealthy urban/poor urban?

But I think we'll all starve and get burnt and flooded and blown and pestulanced to death before we get a chance to come up with a working model.

interesting commentary on the fall of Kabul today 'one side poorly equipped but highly ideologically motivated, the other side well equipped, but riven with corrupt leadership'

hmmmm

looking forward to an impartial finals and the draft though

Increased restrictions including a curfew being floated here in Melbourne...

Good, strong enforcement needs to happen early otherwise Melbourne will have no chance as seen by yesterday's news coverage on Vic breaches.
Like NSW we will only have ourselves to blame, (or those selfish dickheads anyway).

Reactions: 1 users
Increased restrictions including a curfew being floated here in Melbourne...
Curfew would be a no brainer. Why do people need to be out and about late at night under the current restrictions anyway? Only possible reasons I can think of are people who work at night or who perhaps work in jobs that do not allow them to purchase groceries until late at night.

Gladys has mastered the art of responding to (not answering) questions with long winded statements that have little to do with the question asked. Sigh.

The big one is visiting households. I have been guilty of not wearing a mask whilst walking the dogs (I don't stand around chatting like some at the local park) but the big one we adhere to is not visiting family/other households. One because we know they are the biggest risk of transmission and two because I don't want me or my family to get covid. It may or may not be a death sentence. Nor do I want to be the one to give it to the kids grand parents. It would be a heavy load to carry the rest of your life.

Another factor (perhaps small but still needs to be considered) that may be impacting the ability to get this latest outbreak under control is, strangely enough, vaccinations.

At 25% we're in that 'no-mans' land with it. We have sufficient enough fully vaccinated people to create asymptomatic transmissions but not enough (e.g. 60%+) to reduce overall positive case numbers. In other words, there could be situations where someone contracts the virus from a fully vaccinated and asymptomatic carrier. But because the vaccinated asympto, doesn't have symptoms they don't test, and they don't test positive meaning tracers can't make the link. Hence a "mystery case" evolves.

Tracers could get all and any contacts to test, but if they come back positive, its probably too hard to know whether the first vaccinated asympto positive gave it to them, or the other way around.

Gladys has mastered the art of responding to (not answering) questions with long winded statements that have little to do with the question asked. Sigh.

I’ve done media training. That is what media training basically is.

Have your key points and stay on point.

• Sad
Curfew would be a no brainer. Why do people need to be out and about late at night under the current restrictions anyway? Only possible reasons I can think of are people who work at night or who perhaps work in jobs that do not allow them to purchase groceries until late at night.
Im not anti-curfew, i think last year it was a very effective way of limiting movement, but one argument against it was for those who cannot exercise during the day- due to work or other responsibilities.
but as with many things in lockdown, that may just be another big "inconvenience" a section of the population have to face.

yeah,

I just got back from my regional centre for the first time in lockdown.

pretty much everything except supermarkets and rural store and dan Murphys closed,

everyone complying like in March '20.

its like a ghost town, as it should be. and we've got no cases here

so the lockdown lite seems a Sydney thing.

someone will write a PhD on it,

I think Australia has probably become ungovernable by conventional democracy, with the disparity between rural/wealthy urban/poor urban?

But I think we'll all starve and get burnt and flooded and blown and pestulanced to death before we get a chance to come up with a working model.

interesting commentary on the fall of Kabul today 'one side poorly equipped but highly ideologically motivated, the other side well equipped, but riven with corrupt leadership'

hmmmm

looking forward to an impartial finals and the draft though

Yep very sobering.

Nice of you to end with a joke though :)

Looks like the curfew is coming back. And the reason it'll be coming back is because, just a I suspected, we've got too many people doing family household visits.

The curfew doesn't eliminate that happening but it helps reduce it and can help make it easier to enforce.

Said it before, but we are in massive trouble in Victoria.