Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Hmm, difficult decisions to be made.

For example, Singapore has not closed schools, yet is one of the countries with better control of the outbreak.

No-one seems to be going down yet.

We're doing ok, but Australia is far more isolated than countries in Europe or Asia.

The US is a worry as it is tipping up, their testing is likely inadequate so figures could be underestimated, so we don't know how bad it is going to get there.

Will be interesting to see if China goes down soon or they get a second outbreak.

DS

Yeah, Singapore is smaller and easier of course, but they started preparation ten weeks before they had their first case IIRC...

file-20200318-37419-1d7cp2b.png

Reactions: 3 users
The dilemma is if we are hiding from the virus and not building immunity what happens when we all go out again? Does china resume life as normal soon?

Because this one's beyond critical mass and will keep going until more or less everyone is infected, and either lives or dies.

Feb 22: 1,000 cases / 15 deaths
Mar 3: 11,324 cases / 179 deaths
Mar 17: 100,806 cases / 3,918 deaths

Give it a month and unless the world does something different, the numbers will be huge.

Apr 17: 1,115,000 deaths (conservative estimate based on current spread)

The Northern Hemisphere cases will likely slow down and drop with the onset of warmer weather as with most viruses of this type.

The Southern Hemisphere will be where it picks up into our winter just as the flu virus does every year in and out, and that is the curve they are worrying about.

They are trying to nip it in the bud somewhat now before winter comes by letting it kill itself off by reducing the opportunities for transmission.

No host means the virus dies out.

I get the theory behind it, but we will find out how well it works in practice as that would require months of travel bans and sanctions.

Hence I think it more likely than unlikely that the AFL wont be able to kick the can down the road too far.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like Singapore was decisive, made some calls on what they would do and backed their decisions. The strong and regular communication is a key, something we lack.

If we all go out again and there aren't many contageous people around then it should be fine, but if the virus is still around then lock down would not work so well.

Lots of dilemmas and likely no definitive right answers as to how to deal with this.

DS

The dilemma is if we are hiding from the virus and not building immunity what happens when we all go out again? Does china resume life as normal soon?
I don't think the scientists know whether those who've had the virus do develop immunity against getting it again in the future or not. The scientists in China think it may have split into two strains making it tricky to develop a vaccine. With the seasonal flu we need a new vaccine each year because it is not the same virus each year.
Scomo said this is a 1 in 100 year event and that may be true if he is looking back to the 1918 Spanish flu, but looking forward we know this could happen again, quite soon, unless the world comes together to clean up the source of the viruses. That source is the wet markets in China, Cambodia, Thailand, etc. where wild animals, infected by bats are kept close together and then handled by humans without proper infection control methods being used.

Reactions: 2 users
Officially no cases as at 19/3/20

Africa - Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Chad, Comoros, Eritrea, Guinea-Bissau, Leostho, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Niger, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Uganda, Zimbabwe

Asia - Laos, Myanmar, North Korea, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Yemen

Europe - none

South/Central America & Caribbean - Belize, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Haiti, Nicaragua, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Oceania - Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu

Singapore had 47 new cases. So last 3 days have been 17, 23, 47. Of the 47, 33 are imports.

The Northern Hemisphere cases will likely slow down and drop with the onset of warmer weather as with most viruses of this type.

The Southern Hemisphere will be where it picks up into our winter just as the flu virus does every year in and out, and that is the curve they are worrying about.

Yeah there will probably be a seasonal factor that will slow it down but not stop it from spreading.

Mechanisms for overcoming this are probably separation/immunity (TBC)/vaccine, in that order.

Last edited:
Officially no cases as at 19/3/20

Africa - Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Chad, Comoros, Eritrea, Guinea-Bissau, Leostho, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Niger, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Uganda, Zimbabwe

Asia - Laos, Myanmar, North Korea, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Yemen

Europe - none

South/Central America & Caribbean - Belize, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Haiti, Nicaragua, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Oceania - Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu

I would love know what's going on behind the Iron (Hospital) Curtain?

Single highest death toll in one day.

Italy 475.

Spoke to family in Greece who told me that when they leave their homes to go shopping, pharmacy etc they have to fill out a form and have it with them. If they don’t and are caught the fine is a couple hundred $.

Is anyone else hearing this?

Pre-Enders overseas is this the case in your country?

Last edited:
Schools have now shut here in the UK, except for those with key personal parents and vulnerable kids.

Gonna be a loooong few weeks (at least).

Reactions: 1 user
Case count excluding China (updated 11:30pm)

144,751 cases
6,033 deaths (4.17%)
4,621 severe (3%)
118,686 mild (82%)
15,411 recovered (11%)

Last edited:
Picked a mate up a couple of days ago, he'd flown I from NZ. He got told he had to Self Isolate and was given information in regards to it, that was it.
He said it was the quickest he'd ever been through passport and border control.
Then yesterday it was reported that people flying from Bangkok via Singapore to Melbourne had their temperatures taken in Bangkok and again in Singapore but not in Melbourne.
A couple of days ago Australians holidaying and working overseas were told that if they want to come home they should do it now.
Surely they will be tested on arrival, as it can take nearly 2 days to get home form some countries, people's condition can change.

It makes me wonder..................................

Those things help, they don't work 100%.

The problem is this - 33% daily increase in cases for most countries.

ETX60VIU4AAF-N7
This graph is very poor and misleading to the viewer. It appears to show the case trajectories as being much less severe than they really are and possibly levelling off because the vertical axis scale is inconsistent. eg. the gap from 100 to 500 is much larger than from 500 to 1000 and so on. If the scale was correct it would show the actual number of cases of Covid19 rising much more dramatically especially for the graphed points from 5,000 to 30,000. It's hard to read the small writing identifying the source.

This graph is very poor and misleading to the viewer. It appears to show the case trajectories as being much less severe than they really are and possibly levelling off because the vertical axis scale is inconsistent. eg. the gap from 100 to 500 is much larger than from 500 to 1000 and so on. If the scale was correct it would show the actual number of cases of Covid19 rising much more dramatically especially for the graphed points from 5,000 to 30,000. It's hard to read the small writing identifying the source.

True, didn't notice the misleading scale on the vertical.

It's a log scale on the vertical axis, so a straight line means exponential growth at a rate given by the gradient of the straight line. It's true that it over accentuates the plateauing of each country's cases, but it does make it easier to compare countries.

Reactions: 5 users
Easily missed, I didn't notice it last night but only after I had a closer look this morning. The comment by Wildride seems to answer my initial concern.

It's a log scale on the vertical axis, so a straight line means exponential growth at a rate given by the gradient of the straight line. It's true that it over accentuates the plateauing of each country's cases, but it does make it easier to compare countries.
Thanks Wildride.