Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

It might be a travel ban but more likely some cover for when entitled Australian ********* start complaining about being stuck in some country.

Flights are shutting down left, right and centre. There might not be a way back for them in the foreseeable future, and if they're tourists and run out of money in a foreign land...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
There has been so much talk of government debt for the last couple of decades, but private, household and business, debt has always been the ticking bomb.

We, along with just about every other country, have too much private debt. A big part of the explanation for this is the woeful stagnation of wages for the middle class, but also contributing are our ridiculous house prices.

The whole economic system is a house of cards, almost came down in 2008 with the banks and their dodgy loans, now it could well be the consumers and small businesses who set the cards to collapse. Neo-Liberalism has a lot to answer for, our economy was way more resilient before their fundamentalist ideas gained ascendancy.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
There has been so much talk of government debt for the last couple of decades, but private, household and business, debt has always been the ticking bomb.

We, along with just about every other country, have too much private debt. A big part of the explanation for this is the woeful stagnation of wages for the middle class, but also contributing are our ridiculous house prices.

The whole economic system is a house of cards, almost came down in 2008 with the banks and their dodgy loans, now it could well be the consumers and small businesses who set the cards to collapse. Neo-Liberalism has a lot to answer for, our economy was way more resilient before their fundamentalist ideas gained ascendancy.

DS
Yep.

A house of cards, supported by central banks.
Print more money.
Banks instructed not to foreclose for the next 6 months.
Plenty of credit and all loans extended.

With most countries in this affair up to their eyeballs, most countries will do the same thing. Print money and release stimulus packages.
There will be rorts and money lost. But there might also be a few more hospitals and medical machines

we should remember that the fed govt made decisions in Jan and Feb to benefit the economy and in doing so expose Australia -> eg Chinese students returning for the school term.
Over the next few years we will pay a hell of a lot more than what was gained in those 2 months.
It might not have made the difference but it was a short-sighted decision that cash was king.

Reactions: 2 users
A house of cards, supported by central banks.
Print more money.
Banks instructed not to foreclose for the next 6 months.
Plenty of credit and all loans extended.

With most countries in this affair up to their eyeballs, most countries will do the same thing. Print money and release stimulus packages.
There will be rorts and money lost. But there might also be a few more hospitals and medical machines

Plus the Utilitiy Companies should ALL put a freeze on their rediculous extortion of their pricing to assist the less fortunate & vulnerable Australians.

Put a freeze on them too. The Govt should put the pressure on them to act in good faith.

we should remember that the fed govt made decisions in Jan and Feb to benefit the economy and in doing so expose Australia -> eg Chinese students returning for the school term.
Over the next few years we will pay a hell of a lot more than what was gained in those 2 months.
It might not have made the difference but it was a short-sighted decision that cash was king.

We didnt want to upset the Chinese Government at the time who saw this action at the beginning by our PM as uneccessary but it was ok for China to do a shutdown ????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I must admit, Im glad Morrison isnt reassuring us with regular addresses to the nation, as a leader should in times of crisis.

cause he has the opposite effect on me.

I reckon It's dawned on these pricks that they are fairweather friends.

government for the good times.

even though they are narcissistic and sociopathic and deluded, I don't think their disordered personalities have spared them

the realisation that,

they're out of their moral and intellectual depth.

they simply don't have courage and compassion in the toolkit.

they don't have a civic bone in their bodies.

the only decision they can be decisive on, is quickly saying YES to donors and lobbyists and sycophants and others that can sure up their power.

they can be as creative as *smile* when it comes to policy to sure up wealth and power,

but when the *smile* hits the fan, they take a big step backwards and look like birds that have flown into a window.

They've killed the Murray, They slowed up the NDIS cash to use as a mirror to present a balanced *smile* budget. They provisionally (front ended) taxed farmers in the worst drought on record as smoke to present a balanced *smile* budget. They were deaf to clear, expert bushfire warnings. and now they've gone to ground, hesitant and overwhelmed. In our biggest crisis in 3 generations

When this is over, will enough people may wake up and demand higher standards of leadership and government?

oops wrong thread.

Reactions: 5 users
The Great Shuttering demands nothing short of a war effort
Chris Uhlmann
The Age

March 17, 2020

Those clamouring for the schools to close – against the best advice of our health experts – should pause to consider what happens next. For little or no health gain some household incomes will be cut from two to one. And the government’s modelling shows it won’t be weeks but months before the disease peaks. Schools will most certainly close but rushing ahead of advice will only spread the economic virus.

Not sure about this given the real world example of Italy, also not sure the advice is the BEST advice but more the most politically palatable option presented to the government.

Would you rather Albo, Abott, Gillard, Shorten or Rudd at the helm?

good question TRob.

I think all would be better more effective than Morrison.

of that lot (and Ill throw in Turnbull), I'll go

1. Gillard
2. Rudd
3. Turnbull
4. Shorten
5. Albo
6. Abbott
7. Morrison.

But its I think all of them were motivated by ambition and power rather than civic duty. But Gillard clearly the best off a bad lot for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Scomo is the worst PM we have ever had, worse than Abbott and he's presiding over the worst cabinet we've ever had so anyone would be better.

Scomo is the worst PM we have ever had, worse than Abbott and he's presiding over the worst cabinet we've ever had so anyone would be better.

I agree its the least talented cabinet in my lifetime by a fair margin.

I rate Howard as the worst PM of my lifetime, because he was such a smart and efficient operator, he managed to set us back 100 years.

But yeah, theres a chance he would be pretty good in a crisis like this. If he could overcome his ideology for a bit, he could be a very effective bad times leader. Its a big if but.

But Morrison is certainly taking the opportunity to make a case for the most useless PM in history, although my dad pointed out dryly, its a pretty strong field.

Edit: to be fair and objective, I thought Morrison latest address was good, clear, decisive and reassuring.

Last edited:
Well done Mr T posting what you did.

I think many will struggle financially, emotionally & spiritually !

I congratulate you on what you wrote and the details for who may be doing tough.

I want to help anyone from PRE who lives in the Eastern Suburbs of Victoria within a 20 km radius to help you, your mum or dad who are elderly and can’t get up so early that the 3 big stores have allocated.

I’ve just finished work and have gone and asked WW, Coles the time they are open ( 7-8am for them) , as it appears Aldi is opening at 9.30 to help you out.

You may live far from your parent(s) , or finding it hard with your work commitments.

I work night shift so I will be finishing work 7am. Obviously without having them physically with me, presenting their pension cards , I will try throughout the day to do my best.

I have take2 days leave, 1 was for Thursday to go to the game( that appears not an option), so I will have quite a few hours up my sleeve.

I’m not asking for $ for driving, time etc. I will pay for any goods that I purchase and I then can be fixed up at a later date.

Please send me a PM if I can help you, your mum, dad or even someone you know !

I can help Thursday & Friday !

“Heard yesterday and thought it was just here say. People driving buses into rural towns raiding their shopping centres of little stock they have. “”

People selling stuff on various platforms for profit. “

Waiting

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Geez Murphy is hard to take seriously. They say that they are using modelling and making calls based on that. A question was just asked how the actual cases are following what models they are using and he claimed that there isn't 1 model, and it is evolving over time.

Nope, don't buy it. You can't keep changing the goal posts. We are setting actions based on a "model" that no one has seen and then they are saying those actions can't be measured against it. Now that's laughable.

Case count excluding China (updated 11:30pm)

123,150 cases
5,013 deaths (4.07%)
3,812 severe (3%)
101,073 mild (82%)
13,252 recovered (11%)

Last edited: