Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Talking to some friends in Bali last night and they said things are starting to hit hard.

4 or 5 times the coffins piling up that they usually have waiting to be cremated in their village and hospitals so overflowing there is little help of any treatment for the average person.
"News" out of Sweden.
Headlines in European news papers on the same day -"Sweden has beaten COVID" and "Sweden considering lockdown as infection rates increase"

Talking to some friends in Bali last night and they said things are starting to hit hard.

4 or 5 times the coffins piling up that they usually have waiting to be cremated in their village and hospitals so overflowing there is little help of any treatment for the average person.

Bali was doing pretty well, at least officially, until about two months ago when they opened up to domestic travel/tourism. It's really spiked up again since then. Caught between a rock and hard place, Bali is so dependent on tourism that the economy is basically shut-down now. The expat community are on the nose as well, with some refusing to wear masks and continuing to gather and party.

In Jakarta officially the most recent restrictions have reduced case numbers, but who knows.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Dan is an ambitious career politician. He didn't throw her under the bus but I'd be confident he knew she would be a casualty of the inquiry. Reckon he is backing a few things - cases down, restrictions eased, ongoing successful management - to override the ill will in the community.

What politician isn't an ambitious career politician these days?

He really can't win. Hold an inquiry you say, he does. Mikakos has to go you say, she does. When's the last time the Feds ran an inquiry on ministerial incompetence/corruption? This country desperately needs an ICAC, but that's another argument.

Interesting though that despite the KIll Dan campaign run relentless for the last four months by the Murdoch and other media, his approval rating has improved, at least if one goes by the (Murdoch paid) News Poll.

In terms of opinion, I think we are seeing a real polarisation though. Most want to see the restrictions through, despite the pain Thankfully the "sovereign citizen" and "muh liberty" mob still seem to be the minority. And yes, we all understand people and businesses are hurting. The alternative path is what we are seeing in the US and the UK now - big surge in cases, and probably more lockdowns and more pain to come.

If contact tracing really was the weak link in Victoria then we hope they are on top of it now. Reducing case numbers would suggest it is.

Reactions: 3 users
Bali was doing pretty well, at least officially, until about two months ago when they opened up to domestic travel/tourism. It's really spiked up again since then. Caught between a rock and hard place, Bali is so dependent on tourism that the economy is basically shut-down now. The expat community are on the nose as well, with some refusing to wear masks and continuing to gather and party.

In Jakarta officially the most recent restrictions have reduced case numbers, but who knows.
Same happening in Greece now.

Tourism Need = COVID returns

Yes, what is fundamentally different in Victoria?
The Federal Government is, no doubt, up to their eyeballs in terms of allowing private aged care to become 100% about the profit but what is it that has caused Victoria to have so many more deaths spread across so many more sites.
People blaming casualisation of the workforce in this area seem to ignore that that's not an exclusively Victorian issue.
They also seem to ignore that NSW had issues but got on top of them much quicker and much more effectively.

The fundamentals are because it broke out in Victoria from hotel quarantine.

The issue with aged care should have been fixed after the NSW issues with aged care but no-one did anything preventative around it, ie. they should have enforced that casuals could only work at 1 facility etc.

The unfortunate issues with VIC were that it broke out due to hotel quarantine but the issues around aged care were essentially like not doing any clearing of material or back burning pre bush fire season. The material was there just waiting to burn, the hotel quarantine issue was the flame, but the fuel was set and ready to burn.

The whole accountability issue in Vic should be shared between the state and federal governments.

Reactions: 3 users
London is generally ticking along pretty normally, albeit with masks and lots of hand washing. Restaurants are open; pubs are open (until 10pm); shopping centres are open; supermarkets are open (with a new wave of panic buying just starting up); schools fully open with no masks... And our numbers are a lot worse than Victoria.

I'm glad I'm not in Victoria - there has to be an element of just getting on with things. I doubt anywhere will be down to zero cases for a VERY long time - Andrew's road map is simply non-sensical.

Interesting comparison Midsy.

The UK is hitting around 7000 new cases a day now.

sZ3BR9Q.png

Death rates are still low - probably as a result of better treatment, and hospitals still able to cope for now. As a lagging indicator it hasn't kicked in yet following this recent growth, hopefully deaths won't follow the case curve. I note that in the North things seem to be much worse - Liverpool had 87 cases in a week at Liverpool University.

Projections don't look good as the UK heads into winter. 90K deaths by Jan 2021 if restrictions are kept at current levels.

DEIO0hs.png

• Sad
You could say though that the Aged Care issue is a peculiarly Victorian one.
Why didn't the same happen in NSW for instance?
It's the same as blaming the issue on casualisation of the workforce forcing security guards/carers to work across multiple sites.
Why did it only affect Victoria?
That’s easy. There wasn’t the number of community transmissions in other states to cause that level of problem in aged care that Victoria had.
Private Aged care is vulnerable in all states and the fact that it is such a vulnerable Sector sits fairly and squarely with the commonwealth.
If you want proof of that look at the minuscule number of cases in residential aged care facilities run by the state of Victoria under contract to the commonwealth.

Reactions: 2 users
The fundamentals are because it broke out in Victoria from hotel quarantine.

The issue with aged care should have been fixed after the NSW issues with aged care but no-one did anything preventative around it, ie. they should have enforced that casuals could only work at 1 facility etc.

The unfortunate issues with VIC were that it broke out due to hotel quarantine but the issues around aged care were essentially like not doing any clearing of material or back burning pre bush fire season. The material was there just waiting to burn, the hotel quarantine issue was the flame, but the fuel was set and ready to burn.

The whole accountability issue in Vic should be shared between the state and federal governments.
So inept management of Hotel Quarantine is the fundamental difference?
I'd suggest there's also the issue of inept contact tracing.

Reactions: 1 users
So inept management of Hotel Quarantine is the fundamental difference?
I'd suggest there's also the issue of inept contact tracing.

Sort of, but what I said was that both the feds and state government need to take responsibility.

Whilst yes hotel quarantine was the ignition, I always stick with the view that people make mistakes, its when you make the same mistakes that we have an issue, and thats where you CANNOT leave out the federal aged care control of this. They already knew that aged care and in particular casualisation of the workforce, yet they did NOTHING to change this and decrease the risk.

As I say both sides need to take accountability for their mistakes, the Andrews government has taken responsibility with Mikakos resigning. Will the feds follow suit with whoever the minister is that covers aged care. My guess is no.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s easy. There wasn’t the number of community transmissions in other states to cause that level of problem in aged care that Victoria had.
Private Aged care is vulnerable in all states and the fact that it is such a vulnerable Sector sits fairly and squarely with the commonwealth.
If you want proof of that look at the minuscule number of cases in residential aged care facilities run by the state of Victoria under contract to the commonwealth.
The fact that the vast majority of residential aged care facilities run by the state of Victoria are located in regional/rural areas with inherently lower infection rates had nothing to do with that?

Sort of, but what I said was that both the feds and state government need to take responsibility.

Whilst yes hotel quarantine was the ignition, I always stick with the view that people make mistakes, its when you make the same mistakes that we have an issue, and thats where you CANNOT leave out the federal aged care control of this. They already knew that aged care and in particular casualisation of the workforce, yet they did NOTHING to change this and decrease the risk.

As I say both sides need to take accountability for their mistakes, the Andrews government has taken responsibility with Mikakos resigning. Will the feds follow suit with whoever the minister is that covers aged care. My guess is no.
Not saying that the Feds are blameless. Possibly though a little less inept. As for the Federal Minister responsible he should have gone a considerable time ago.

The fact that the vast majority of residential aged care facilities run by the state of Victoria are located in regional/rural areas with inherently lower infection rates had nothing to do with that?
No because there are many residential aged care facilities run by the state in Melbourne as well. They are run by public health services as they are in rural Victoria. The split of public hospital run and private is more public in rural Victoria but if you make the assumption there aren’t many in Melbourne you will be incorrect.
Austin, eastern (box hill) , northern, Royal Melbourne , monash (Clayton) and Frankston peninsula all run residential aged care in metro Melbourne

Last edited:
Not saying that the Feds are blameless. Possibly though a little less inept. As for the Federal Minister responsible he should have gone a considerable time ago.
Not sure how you measure ineptness?
The only thing I would say is that the hotel quarantine issue was a new program that has been handled badly in relation to security. Private aged care is a systemic issue that has been in place and getting progressively worse for probably 25 years.

Reactions: 4 users
I do find it odd that the anti-Dan brigade call him dictator Dan, bemoaning the lockdown all in the same sentence as highlighting the low new infection numbers.

• Haha
I find the Dictator Dan stuff and the idiots protesting the restrictions incredibly hypocritical - where have they been when all the surveillance laws were passed by the Feds, the arrest with no lawyer laws (overriding habeas corpus), able to arrest 14 year olds etc. It's all bulls***, our rights have been trampled on for years for no good reason. Now we are asked to, temporarily, stay at home, wear masks etc (infinitely less of a rights issue than being locked up because some security agency thinks it is a good idea) to stop viral contagion, they go apes***. Bunch of hypocrites.

Was hoping for a lower number of new infections today, but we always expected the numbers to jump around, here's what it looks like:

COVID19 7 day ave 27092020.jpg

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred Ave14 Day Trailing Ave
22 September 2020​
14​
22.29​
15.40​
30.64​
23 September 2020​
11​
20.29​
15.60​
28.07​
24 September 2020​
13​
15.71​
13.20​
26.14​
25 September 2020​
12​
14.57​
24.50​
26 September 2020​
16​
15.00​
22.71​

Still tracking in the right direction.

The reduction in restrictions today, and the prospect of having a couple of visitors on Grand Final day is measured. The big issue is transmission when people get together indoors. That is difficult until we get lower numbers. Lower numbers also make contact tracing so much better.

The UK was cited above. They will need to act as their new infections are going through the roof, just a matter of time before they have to do something.

The aged care debacle is even worse because we have known about this for years. The Minister is clearly incompetent and only in that job for factional reasons, either that or the coalition wanted an incompetent minister.

On the, not yet updated, Victorian Ministerial Website, Mikakos is listed as: Minister for the Coordination of Health and Human Services: COVID-19. Yep, that would be the position you lose when this sort of stuff happens.

I have got the impression for a while that the Police wanted to avoid anything to do with Hotel quarantine. I think the government should have directed them to oversee the operation. Silly mistake there for a start.

DS

No because there are many residential aged care facilities run by the state in Melbourne as well. They are run by public health services as they are in rural Victoria. The split of public hospital run and private is more public in rural Victoria but if you make the assumption there aren’t many in Melbourne you will be incorrect.
Austin, eastern (box hill) , northern, Royal Melbourne , monash (Clayton) and Frankston peninsula all run residential aged care in metro Melbourne
Suggest you take a look at the split.
There's 180 Victorian Government run aged care facilities in total across the state. 18 (10%) in total in 3000 and 3100 postcode zones. 90% outside those zones.

Last edited: