Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

So bosses should hold those who report to them accountable?
Yes I don’t quite understand that view. Plenty calling for the government to be accountable and when a senior minister is held accountable the premier is seen as not backing his people? You can’t have it both ways.
The secretary of DHHS is under a lot of pressure as well.

Interesting discussion on Insiders that points to the Police hierarchy being the source of the ultimate decision to use private security, which goes to the article I posted here yesterday.

So bosses shouldn't hold those who report to them accountable?
No but at the same time they shouldn't lie and point the finger at someone else.
Do you really believe that Dan wasn't involved and doesn't share the blame?
Did the Health Minster direct that Private Security be used to secure the Hotel Quarantine programme?
She screwed up badly but so have multiple others if VICPOL/Department of Premier & Cabinet's alleged roles in this is true.

Last edited:
The info that Mikakos was responsible for the COVID response came from a friend who does have connections in the ALP, so, third hand but I know them too so some credibility. Can't find any evidence of this though.

You are right, had Health Minister in my head, it is the Aged Care minister federally who should resign. He should just hang his head in shame. Those calling for Andrews' resignation as Mikakos' boss should also be calling for Colbeck and Scomo to resign if they want to be consistent.

Haven't really heard much about Hunt's performance as Federal Health minister, which would be a good thing given Australia has done well in the pandemic and the media mainly reports on stuff ups. He must be doing well if the media are ignoring him!

DS
You could say though that the Aged Care issue is a peculiarly Victorian one.
Why didn't the same happen in NSW for instance?
It's the same as blaming the issue on casualisation of the workforce forcing security guards/carers to work across multiple sites.
Why did it only affect Victoria?

No but at the same time they shouldn't lie and point the finger at someone else.
Did the Health Minster direct that Private Security be used to secure the Hotel Quarantine programme?
There were major problems at Newmarch House in NSW in the first wave that were subject to an inquiry.
Not to the same extent as Victoria and not across as many sites.

You could say though that the Aged Care issue is a peculiarly Victorian one.
Why didn't the same happen in NSW for instance?
It's the same as blaming the issue on casualisation of the workforce forcing security guards/carers to work across multiple sites.
Why did it only affect Victoria?
there was an aged care in NSW that had 14 deaths. the NSW gov had to step in to provide support there.

So bosses shouldn't hold those who report to them accountable?
I can’t find a link or the exact quote but didn’t Andrews say Mikakos had his full backing not that long ago?
If she didn’t resign my personal view is that he wouldn’t have sacked her. He even said that he didn’t ask her to resign

Reactions: 1 user
there was an aged care in NSW that had 14 deaths. the NSW gov had to step in to provide support there.
Yes, one site Newmarch had 17 deaths.
Compare that to Victoria.
Why is Victoria so badly affected compared to other states?

16 and 2. Was hoping the new cases would keep declining.

She screwed up badly but so have multiple others if VICPOL/Department of Premier & Cabinet's alleged roles in this is true.

Where has he lied? As for accountability yes he does share responsibility, as do the others, but he is trying to make it right as opposed to others that dodge and deflect all responsibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Where has he lied? As for accountability yes he does share responsibility, as do the others, but he is trying to make it right as opposed to others that dodge and deflect all responsibility.
:rotfl1:rotfl1:rotfl1:rotfl1

Yes, one site Newmarch had 17 deaths.
Compare that to Victoria.
Why is Victoria so badly affected compared to other states?

Are you asking why Victoria had more community transmission, or why the issues with our federal aged care were exposed when they weren't in other states?

Because one answers the other.

I find it strange that after calling for Mikakos to go (rightly) for the last week, now it's all about Dan "throwing people under bus". Bizarre.

Dan is an ambitious career politician. He didn't throw her under the bus but I'd be confident he knew she would be a casualty of the inquiry. Reckon he is backing a few things - cases down, restrictions eased, ongoing successful management - to override the ill will in the community.

And whilst the focus is purely on hotel quarantine Vic has been behind the rest of Aust in other areas of covid management. A clear example has been our contact tracing.

It appears many are happy to accept ignorance as good leadership. You could argue that even though Dan was part of the National cabinet he didn't really care what decisions were discussed and made at that level he was going his own way. Vic has done things differently to the other states. This is fine if the outcomes support your stance. Unfortunately the outcomes haven't been great so far.

Can totally understand him not resigning, it would be a terrible legacy. For his and our sake I hope they can manage it better from here on in.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you asking why Victoria had more community transmission, or why the issues with our federal aged care were exposed when they weren't in other states?

Because one answers the other.
Yes, what is fundamentally different in Victoria?
The Federal Government is, no doubt, up to their eyeballs in terms of allowing private aged care to become 100% about the profit but what is it that has caused Victoria to have so many more deaths spread across so many more sites.
People blaming casualisation of the workforce in this area seem to ignore that that's not an exclusively Victorian issue.
They also seem to ignore that NSW had issues but got on top of them much quicker and much more effectively.