Clarkson threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clarkson threads [Merged]

Re: should we have taken clarkson ahead of wallace?

realist said:
hopper said:
evanstone said:
how about you guys take the question seriously for a sec

interms of matchday coaching terry is miles ahead of clarkson, although to be expected due to experience

but I respect clarkson for the fact that he traded thompson and the like and got quality first round picks, also not playing nick holland in his last yr etc

Your points on Clarkson's positives are valid.  However, recruting/trading/drafting is only a part of the modern coach's job description.  When it comes to actual coaching, Wallace is clearly superior - like by the length of the Stuart Hwy.  All coaches lose to other coaches at some point,so I wouldn't think the last time the two teams met is a true reflection.  But I do reckon the Zac Dawson massacre is.

Is that Zac Dawson thing the only thing with Clarkson you can talk about?

How about starting Roughead forward last week when everyone expected him to take an Essendon tall, Caught them off guard and he kicked 4?

Wallace left Ray Hall on Franklin when all you guys couldn't believe the decision. Instead you degrade Franklin say "he shouldn't have played on Hall", yet don't bag Wallace for doing that.
Realist, I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've ever mentioned the Zac Dawson thing. Of course there are positives and negatives for both coaches. Any move a coach makes can work or not work. My belief is that more of Wallace's ideas work and work well. I just don't see Clarkson coming up with something like our win over Adelaide. I see more of him accepting defeat so he can get his mits on more high draft picks - the Dawson episode was, imo, an example of this. I might be wrong, but I see Clarkson in the Grant Thomas mould - a good coach for recuilding but not good enough to take them anywhere when the building is done. Time will tell on all three coaches I suppose.

Re: Clarkson gets Hawks job

TigerForce said:
Alistair who ??????

What a joke !!!!   No wonder they want the spoon next year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry TF...we've all got cringeworthy posts in  our history but I bol when I read this.

I was really impressed with Alistair on Footy Classified last night and decided to look back and see how PREnders viewed his appointment at the time.  I'll merge the threads.

I thought he was on a hiding to nothing when he was first appointed – ordered to rebuild list…finish down the bottom for at least a couple of years…Leigh Matthews waiting in the wings etc. But boy has he got the results. The more I listen to him the more I’m impressed. Like his no-nonsense approach.

I was pretty skeptical of Clarkson too but credit where credits due.He's done a good job.

Eerily enough perhaps one of their most promising KPP still hasn't been unveiled, Thorpe.

They've set themselves up well for sustainable finals appearances for probably the next 5 years.Good effort by he and Pelican.

evo said:
I was pretty skeptical of Clarkson too but credit where credits due.He's done a good job.

Eerily enough perhaps one of their most promising KPP still hasn't been unveiled, Thorpe.

They've set themselves up well for sustainable finals appearances for probably the next 5 years.Good effort by he and Pelican.

and you just never know, Beau Dowler may one day come good :-\

Redford said:
I thought he was on a hiding to nothing when he was first appointed – ordered to rebuild list…finish down the bottom for at least a couple of years…Leigh Matthews waiting in the wings etc. But boy has he got the results. The more I listen to him the more I’m impressed. Like his no-nonsense approach.
I'll reserve judgement until he actually achieves something.

In the meantine the more praise and hype given to the Hawks the better. One thing they do well is get carried away with their own egos. It starts from Kennett. Clarkson is under a lot of pressure from all the Hawks self-imposed expectations. Their loss to North Melbourne in the 2007 semi was very similar to ours on Sunday. It remains to be seen if they learned anything from it though.

evo said:

Agree, they have a pretty good balance across the board.

Hayfever said:
I'll reserve judgement until he actually achieves something.

What do you consider "achieves something" to be?

The Hawks have an exciting group of kids putting in each week, they play a style of football people like to watch, they win far more games than they lose and they have already passed their previous best membership figures. 35,000 with 3 months of selling to go. I think he's achieved plenty already and we'd be judging Terry very favourably if we were in the position the Hawks are.

Alistair spoke of expectations on telly last night. Admits that the Prez, the CEO and even himself are very driven people but sees that as a positive. A good coach can withstand pressures and I suppose time will tell but Clarkson seems to be taking it in his stride.

Even if Alistair doesn't achieve a premiership he's certainly dragged the club out of the mire and set it up for a successful era. From wooden spoon favourites to finalists in a few short years....meanwhile we have their spoon.

rosy23 said:
What do you consider "achieves something" to be?

The Hawks have an exciting group of kids putting in each week, they play a style of football people like to watch, they win far more games than they lose and they have already passed their previous best membership figures. 35,000 with 3 months of selling to go. I think he's achieved plenty already and we'd be judging Terry very favourably if we were in the position the Hawks are.

Alistair spoke of expectations on telly last night. Admits that the Prez, the CEO and even himself are very driven people but sees that as a positive. A good coach can withstand pressures and I suppose time will tell but Clarkson seems to be taking it in his stride.

Even if Alistair doesn't achieve a premiership he's certainly dragged the club out of the mire and set it up for a successful era. From wooden spoon favourites to finalists in a few short years....meanwhile we have their spoon.

We've only just got over having Buddy's relentless bags of goals shoved in our face and now you bring up another Hawks thread?

Hawks hit bottom and rebuilt better than us, as did Port, the Lions, Collingwood and maybe Essendon. In fact right now it looks like the only team that has done arguably a worse job of rebuilding is Carlton.

The good news is that we don't have Kennett as our President, which is a least a bright spot

I'd like to thank many of the deluded tiger supporters for this entertaining read. ;)

Apart from a few of the smarter tiger supporters most have quite a large amount of egg on there face. :clap

Col.W.Kurtz said:
We've only just got over having Buddy's relentless bags of goals shoved in our face and now you bring up another Hawks thread?

I enjoyed Clarkson's interview On Footy Classified last night and decided to read what was said on here about his original appointment. There were 4 threads that I considered would be better merged and to do that I needed to post on one of them to bring it to the first page. I rarely discuss the Hawks and didn't think you'd take exception tot hem being mentioned.

I agree with your comments about other teams rebuilding but the difference is the Hawks and the Tiges were looking for coaches at the same time, and both had lists in relatively similar shape. and both were cellar dwellers.

As for Tassie...good on em. I've supported the idea of Richmond tapping into that market for ages and I'm sorry it's the Hawks benefiting now and not us.

As for having Buddy's goals shoved in our face I hadn't noticed. You come across as having a bit of an inferiority complex in regard to Hawthorn Col.

If you don't approve of that being discussed I don't suppose you'll join in the discussion in a few years when everything goes pear shaped for them and we have the cup? ;)

SaveFerris said:
about as much as Royce Hart

Or benny, but do you want to play games there?

But if you look at Jeff seriously as a President, all the football stuff, inculcating the Clarkson appointment was in place before he arrived and the Tassi experiment has already begun.

Jeff's greatest achievement was to lock the Government of tassi into a long term deal to use taxpayers funds to subsidize the football team. Getting politicians to spend public money on high profile vanity sporting events of dubious economic value is something Jeff is quite qualified in, maybe he could have sold them the Formula 1 as well.

rosy23 said:
If you don't approve of that being discussed I don't suppose you'll join in the discussion in a few years when everything goes pear shaped for them and we have the cup? ;)

I'm magnanimous enough Rosey that when we win the Grand Final I hope it's in a era of great Melbourne teams again. I don't begrudge the Hawks a long and successful era of top 4 finishes but just not quite havening enough to beat the great Richmond dynasty of 2011 to 2015.

Wouldn't take too much notice of what was said a few years ago since, after all, there was no shortage of Hawk fans having a go at the man themselves at the time. As late as Rd 1 last year he was a "car-wreck" of a coach destined to lead us to the spoon, apparently. Not me, though. I was one of the first on the bandwagon ;)

Clarkson said that he traded/got rid of players like Rawlings, Hay, Thompson, Holland, etc because he didn't see them playing in Hawthorns next grand final.

Wallace said that players like Richo, Bowden, Gaspar, Tivendale, Brown, etc. deserved to play in a grand final.

Onya Terry. Join the long line of deluded ex Tiger coaches.