Clarkson threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clarkson threads [Merged]

Re: Clarkson gets 2 years

Not only do they assign a minder to young buddy but now the coach as well.

Didn't they try that with Schwab as well....Parko perhaps? Happy with the decision though....if they had got Lyon they would just about be invincible in few yrs......hic....

The real reason he got 2 years (up to the end of 2008) is because Leigh Matthew's contract finishes at the same time.

TigerForce said:
The real reason he got 2 years (up to the end of 2008) is because Leigh Matthew's contract finishes at the same time.

Maybe but by then Matthews will be a finished, dried up, tired old hack!!

Despite all this talk of tanking there is not a player or a coach in the comp that set out to lose matches. They're natural competitors, it is just not in their nature to tank.

Tygrys said:
the golden said:
Tygrys said:
Mikee said:
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Never in doubt.Why sack the best "tanking" coach in the comp

;) Spot on. He knows exactly what he's doing. Will get his last batch of high draft picks in this upcoming draft (which just happens to be the 'superdraft'). All of a sudden next year they will start winning games which will be a shock to the average football follower and reactive media. I can read Clarkson like a book. They are cheats. They're not playing to win. They are the king of tanking, and it's been in Clarkson's 'rebuilding' theme from the start. It's one of the reasons why Terry came up with the suggestion of rewarding teams monetary-wise for winning and stop clubs being rewarded so heavily for crap performances/tanking. Reality is he'll get away with building a great list without doing everything in his power to win games; a thing which every coach should do, and which every supporter would expect of a coach.

GO TIGES!!!

Exactly right, Clarkson is no fool, cheat or no cheat he has munipulated the system to the max and in the long run Hawthorn will reap the benefits. In a few years we at Richmond might well be envying the Hawkes for allowing themselves to bottom out, and ruing the idiotic policy as articulated by Royal of wanting to play finals football as soon as possible so Richardson and other senior players can be 'rewarded'. No doubt we have a better coach in Wallace, but Hawthorn are building a list that might eventually win them a premiership (even if he in the end Clarkson isn't the one that actually takes them there).
we did not tank no games nor did the tigers :veryupset

Hey I'm giving Hawthorn and Clarkson credit! Richmond and Hawthorn have officially employed different rebuiding strategies, ie the partial rebuild versus the full. Hawthorn has traded heavily to get maximun draft advantage and in process accepted (or should I say embraced) bottoming out and all that comes with it, including early draft picks. Not everyone here would agree, but I know which policy I prefer. Again all credit to Hawkes.
Sorry proberly very tired when i posted that and took it wrong way , forgive me :beer proberly more reacting to orignal post about tanking not you sorry again

Richmond United said:
Not only do they assign a minder to young buddy but now the coach as well.

Didn't they try that with Schwab as well....Parko perhaps? Happy with the decision though....if they had got Lyon they would just about be invincible in few yrs......hic....
buddy doesn't have a minder that was a media beat up.

the golden said:

Yes he does...his name is Dean Polo ;) keeps him out of any trouble on the footy field...like possessions and stuff...

the golden said:
skybeau said:
the golden said:
Yes he does...his name is Dean Polo ;) keeps him out of any trouble on the footy field...like possessions and stuff...
just luck for him on the day hey :hihi

oh shhhhhhh :hihi see, when he doesn't have his Polo minder, he gets into all sorts of trouble... ;)

Nah, he did well. Not much of an opponent, but he did do well...

The saddest part about all of this tanking crap that half you guys go on about is that you actually believe this is true. I often wonder how much of this is a result of impressionable, feeble minds reading crappy opinions on internet forums and treating it as fact. Will any of you Rocket Scientists please explain where flogging Richmond last Sunday fits into Clarkson's grand plan of dogging it for high draft picks ? Or maybe Wallace has decided mid-season that Clarkson is right, that this is definitely the way to go and he also wants a piece of the Bryce Gibbs action this November.

Also, if Hawthorn was laying down and deliberately losing games, will someone please explain why we beat you guys in round 21, 2004 and handed you the wooden spoon (and Brett Deledio) That doesn't add up. There have been numerous clubs recieve priority picks, yet it only seems to be Hawthorn that gets singled out for "tanking". Did it ever occur to any of you that we deserved to finish in the bottom four these last two years ? I reckon all this talk is utter garbage, but if you WERE to point the finger why not accuse Collingwood last year. They finished 15th and look at 'em go this year. What about the Bulldogs ? Priority picks two years running in 2003 and 2004 with players like West, Johnson, Smith, Giansiracusa, Eagleton, etc. We'd kill to have experienced talent like that. They've been killing it for the past 18 months - it makes their draft assistance look very generous. Also Melbourne. Finals one year. 1st pick in the draft the next year. They then made it to a Preliminary Final the next year.  Up and down they went. 3rd last in 2003 (received Sylvia and McLean in the top 5 picks). Back in the finals the following season. They are probably the main reason the rules were changed.

How do these clubs escape the vitriol that Hawthorn cops ? I've watched most of our games over the past 2 seasons and believe me, we have been CRAP. We "deserved" those high draft picks (if you can use that term). I mean they are the rules - high picks to the worst sides - we've done nothing dodgy.

It's also a MYTH that we've traded away all of our good players in order to decimate our side and "bottom out". Think about that for a second - why in God's name would we do that ? Nathan Thompson wanted to leave - he was overpaid and underperformed - both he and club felt that parting was in both parties' interests. Win-Win. Jonathan Hay was a joke - he deserved to be delisted. As it was we received picks 14 and 18 for both he and Nathan Lonie. What a fantastic trade for us! Apart from them, who else ?

Anyway, I've had a good laugh reading this thread, especially the line about Hawthorn being the most deluded club in the league. The hero worship for Terry Wallace is also entertaining stuff. If you look at it, he's achieved basically the same results as Clarkson for 5 times the wage. Here's hoping we can both get up there for some September glory sometime in the next 5 years. Go Hawks! Go Tiges!

Golden Brown said:
The saddest part about all of this tanking crap that half you guys go on about is that you actually believe this is true. I often wonder how much of this is a result of impressionable, feeble minds reading crappy opinions on internet forums and treating it as fact. Will any of you Rocket Scientists please explain where flogging Richmond last Sunday fits into Clarkson's grand plan of dogging it for high draft picks ? Or maybe Wallace has decided mid-season that Clarkson is right, that this is definitely the way to go and he also wants a piece of the Bryce Gibbs action this November.

Also, if Hawthorn was laying down and deliberately losing games, will someone please explain why we beat you guys in round 21, 2004 and handed you the wooden spoon (and Brett Deledio) That doesn't add up. There have been numerous clubs recieve priority picks, yet it only seems to be Hawthorn that gets singled out for "tanking". Did it ever occur to any of you that we deserved to finish in the bottom four these last two years ? I reckon all this talk is utter garbage, but if you WERE to point the finger why not accuse Collingwood last year. They finished 15th and look at 'em go this year. What about the Bulldogs ? Priority picks two years running in 2003 and 2004 with players like West, Johnson, Smith, Giansiracusa, Eagleton, etc. We'd kill to have experienced talent like that. They've been killing it for the past 18 months - it makes their draft assistance look very generous. Also Melbourne. Finals one year. 1st pick in the draft the next year. They then made it to a Preliminary Final the next year.  Up and down they went. 3rd last in 2003 (received Sylvia and McLean in the top 5 picks). Back in the finals the following season. They are probably the main reason the rules were changed.

How do these clubs escape the vitriol that Hawthorn cops ? I've watched most of our games over the past 2 seasons and believe me, we have been CRAP. We "deserved" those high draft picks (if you can use that term). I mean they are the rules - high picks to the worst sides - we've done nothing dodgy.

It's also a MYTH that we've traded away all of our good players in order to decimate our side and "bottom out". Think about that for a second - why in God's name would we do that ? Nathan Thompson wanted to leave - he was overpaid and underperformed - both he and club felt that parting was in both parties' interests. Win-Win. Jonathan Hay was a joke - he deserved to be delisted. As it was we received picks 14 and 18 for both he and Nathan Lonie. What a fantastic trade for us! Apart from them, who else ?

Anyway, I've had a good laugh reading this thread, especially the line about Hawthorn being the most deluded club in the league. The hero worship for Terry Wallace is also entertaining stuff. If you look at it, he's achieved basically the same results as Clarkson for 5 times the wage. Here's hoping we can both get up there for some September glory sometime in the next 5 years. Go Hawks! Go Tiges!

Not much to disagree with here. Tanking games is an issue and HAwthorn and Richmond were no doubt in the thick of it in 2004, as were the Bulldogs. It was the only time in history that I didn't look forward to attending games, and I lived through the wooden spoons of 1987 and 1989. It really annoyed me to read about Collingwood players being booked for end of season surgery in July and August last year and it annoys me to watch Essendon playing this year because they are clearly not genuine. No doubt, they will turn in all around for a week or two at the end of the year if they lose enough games to guarantee last spot.

In my view, priority picks should not exist at all and the critical first 3 or 4 picks should not be the reward for mediocrity.

Well done to the Hawks on Sunday. For both clubs it is all part of the maturing process. You have followed up weeks of crap with a strong performance and it was our turn to look silly, as we have done on several occasions during the season. I, too, look forward to many games against you in the future...hopefully for very high stakes, not just for mid-season bragging rights over a felow cellar-dwellar. Ain't no fun in that!

Fan forums are a opportunity to vent your spleen and all clubs have plenty of takers for doing this. Many have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

should we have taken clarkson ahead of wallace?

and kirkby ahead vof thursfield?

I think they are all done now

Re: should we have taken clarkson ahead of wallace?

blaisee said:

No I think 1 more, and probably the most important.

Claw instead of G. Miller -

U2Tigers said:
blaisee said:

Shudder..........!!!!  Dont scare me so early in the morning. Our side would look something like this

B    Wood      Travis Gaspar  Maric
HB    Kirkby        Meeson          Kennedy
C    Eckerman    Hurn             Griffen
HF   Clark            De Luca      Murphy (priority pick after going 0-22 in 2005)
F   Lewis          Tom Williams  Not krakour
R   Some tall kid  Another tough slow kid  Pettifer (captain) ;D

Inter Mcguaune, Mcguane, Mcguane, Mcguane,

U2Tigers said:
blaisee said:

Jeff Kennett instead of Gary (who) March?

And HHQ instead of PRE?