Chris Toce - National Recruiting Manager | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Toce - National Recruiting Manager

Naismith already had an ACL
Clarke already had an ACL
Le Fau did one with the VFL so drafted with an ACL

That’s 3 out of the 5 ACL’s as second timers.

There is a message here - don’t recruit ACL’s . There are exceptions like Max Gawn but unfortunately just too risky
What if it’s a player who hasn’t done one before do they stay on the list? Or are they delisted or traded out?
We would have missed a bit of Richo’s career if that was the case

Reactions: 1 users
Naismith already had an ACL
Clarke already had an ACL
Le Fau did one with the VFL so drafted with an ACL

That’s 3 out of the 5 ACL’s as second timers.

There is a message here - don’t recruit ACL’s . There are exceptions like Max Gawn but unfortunately just too risky

This says 1 in 5 people who get one and return to sport do it again.

You would hope at a professional level with pro recovery it would be better.

This one says 20-30% of a more general cohort.

Reactions: 2 users
What if it’s a player who hasn’t done one before do they stay on the list? Or are they delisted or traded out?
We would have missed a bit of Richo’s career if that was the case
No, strictly asking ‘Do you draft a player with a prior ACL?’
I am just asking the question though, especially after Jud Clarke - but it would been a real shame to not draft LeFau so I am ‘torn’ (pardon pun) on whether you would have such a policy.
I think Cumbo was already on the list when he did his, but am sure I will be corrected if he wasn’t

Reactions: 1 user
This says 1 in 5 people who get one and return to sport do it again.

You would hope at a professional level with pro recovery it would be better.

This one says 20-30% of a more general cohort.

Thanks Roar - makes it a very risky game of taking higher draft picks especially

I am just asking the question though, especially after Jud Clarke - but it would been a real shame to not draft LeFau so I am ‘torn’ (pardon pun) on whether you would have such a policy.
I think Cumbo was already on the list when he did his, but am sure I will be corrected if he wasn’t
Fair enough. Probably depends on highly rated the player is and a club’s needs and expectations. Some clubs may well have that preference.

Thanks Roar - makes it a very risky game of taking higher draft picks especially
Prospective players prior to draft with a knee history generally lose a significant amount of market value which manifests it by the number they end up being chosen with. Some even aren't drafted who would otherwise rate highly purely by talent.

Pretty sure Cumbo did his the first year on the list. 2020.

I guess to get a fair comparison we need to know what percentage of people without ACLs get ACLs.

This says 1% for a young male playing a few sports (and 5% for women) - but it doesn't include AFL. .. but seems nowhere near the 20%-30% recurrence rate or even if you just did the pub test it seems recurrence is way higher.

Found an aus study. Pretty compelling conclusion at the bottom. 50% recurrence! Let’s hope the blokes that got injured don’t re do it.

• Sad
I know it’s early days, but I reckon he has picked a very good player for us in the mid season draft with Blight.

Reactions: 6 users
I know it’s early days, but I reckon he has picked a very good player for us in the mid season draft with Blight.
yep. not a bad start. and the other guy, is it Gray? seems handy as well ..

Reactions: 3 users
I feel for the bloke.
He has been given the hardest job in the competition. Trying to clean up Clarke's mess.
At least his first 2 show they can play and aren't experimental picks (Blight & Campbell).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
What a time to come in

Should have a great hand , nail this draft and his in the gig for 10 years if he was at Essendon, he’d be signed until he was 90.

Sadly he’s going to have to make up for what could be our worst draft since 2005 , the 2021 draft , I’m starting to think we may have had a mare , a superstar potential kid that we keep forever who sadly his body just keeps letting him down , the rest who just keep showing a glimpse , however at the end of the day just end up been 60 gamers in a poor to average side .

Geez I hope CT scans this draft to perfection and has that ounce of good luck needed to produce a quality squad going forward .

If we stuff this draft , nah I don’t want to think about that

Reactions: 2 users
I feel for the bloke.
He has been given the hardest job in the competition. Trying to clean up Clarke's mess.
At least his first 2 show they can play and aren't experimental picks (Blight & Campbell).
His job isn’t to clean up a mess. It is to identify the best available talent for the picks we have. Fixing up the list is Blair’s domain.

Is it a recurrence if it happens to the other knee or just bad luck? thought it worth asking.

On Toce very good start ,at worst showing an understanding of list shortcomings even if its not his domain.

As much as i think we need yung key forwards i would not be adverse to a big inside out mid or two.

Last edited:
My son did his ACL at age 19, the surgeon said his knees had a flaw which meant that future ACL were a possibility so he retired.

His older brother did 2 but both were done in marking contests and deciding to change direction in mid air ( bad idea as knees are not designed to deal with that sort of

force sideways) so now he marks the ball in straight lines.

I believe that the normal change of direction ACL's (like Naismiths) will occur again in a player, the mechanical ones like Richo's are just wrong place wrong time.

Last edited: