Changes Vs. the Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Vs. the Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morris & Gordon to replace Grimes & Conca. Bringing in Dea , Astbury etc etc would have a dysfunctional effect on the teams balance at this time of the season. I add Grimes absence assists Houli who after a couple of howlers must be on shaky ground.

Tigaman said:
Morris & Gordon to replace Grimes & Conca. Bringing in Dea , Astbury etc etc would have a dysfunctional effect on the teams balance at this time of the season. I add Grimes absence assists Houli who after a couple of howlers must be on shaky ground.

Need to reward performance Dea and McBean have been constantly pushing their names up.

tigerman said:
I think Astbury might come in for Grimes, he'd be a better match up for the Suns talls than what Dea is.

He was so slow last time.
Injury certainly took its toll on his leg speed.

Hopefully he has regained it.

super_coach said:
I knew there was a reason I keep away from here these days.
Great to see bullying is alive and well

Ignore mutton man, he's had a beanie in his bonnet all year.

I know this may sound absurd, but McBean may be the best small forward we have. Has very good football smarts when the ball hits the ground and has a very good shot at goal in general play.

We found our new small forward , all be it 202 cm!!! Perfect sunny 1:10pm Sunday game for him to show us something we have all been waiting for... at senior level..

Tiger Pops said:
I know this may sound absurd, but McBean may be the best small forward we have. Has very good football smarts when the ball hits the ground and has a very good shot at goal in general play.

We found our new small forward , all be it 202 cm!!! Perfect sunny 1:10pm Sunday game for him to show us something we have all been waiting for... at senior level..

he would be the slowest small forward since Sam Lloyd.

I think we need to pick McBean this week and stick with him for a run of games. There is not much more he can do at VFL level to prove himself. Without Griff a combination of McBean, Reidwolt, Ty plus one of Maric or Hampson in the ruck is I believe our best tall structure for the rest of the season.

I also think we need to surround them with smalls who can kick goals on there day and give up on the defensive smalls like Newman and Morris. A combination of Delidio, Edwards, Lennon and Knights when fit. Maybe even Menadue.

I believe we can match most teams defensively but our greatest weakness is attacking flair and speed in the forward half. Hopefully we can add a Motlop type in the off season. Until then I think we need to pick our best offensive players and back them in to apply defensive pressure.

Dev Tiger said:
I think we need to pick McBean this week and stick with him for a run of games. There is not much more he can do at VFL level to prove himself. Without Griff a combination of McBean, Reidwolt, Ty plus one of Maric or Hampson in the ruck is I believe our best tall structure for the rest of the season.

I also think we need to surround them with smalls who can kick goals on there day and give up on the defensive smalls like Newman and Morris. A combination of Delidio, Edwards, Lennon and Knights when fit. Maybe even Menadue.

I believe we can match most teams defensively but our greatest weakness is attacking flair and speed in the forward half. Hopefully we can add a Motlop type in the off season. Until then I think we need to pick our best offensive players and back them in to apply defensive pressure.

Well yes all logic points to needing to play our best offensively skilled players. Whether it happens or not is another matter entirely. I'm half amazed Lennon has not been relegated back to sub yet for a couple games then back to the VFL. When Lids and Edwards are back with Lloyd out I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sadly because Dimma's not subbing the corpse of Newman. Don't think it's ever happened.

I think we need a swingman like Astbury in the side, someone who can play forward and back. I would like to see McBean play but he may be unlucky

In Astbury, Deledio and Dea
out Hampson, Grimes and Conca

McBean could play forward and Astbury play back instead of Dea but I worry that makes our backline too slow.

Matty Dea deserves a run, his VFL form has been outstanding this year

Sintiger said:
I think we need a swingman like Astbury in the side, someone who can play forward and back. I would like to see McBean play but he may be unlucky

In Astbury, Deledio and Dea
out Hampson, Grimes and Conca

McBean could play forward and Astbury play back instead of Dea but I worry that makes our backline too slow.

Matty Dea deserves a run, his VFL form has been outstanding this year

I find this argument interesting. I heard arguments as to Morris being a swingman because he's been played forward and back. In my eyes a swingman is a player who can play both roles well. Can Astbury play forward effectively? From what I gather he's been average at best in the VFL up forward. To me Jake Carlisle is a swingman, not Astbury. Obviously I view him as a backman or nothing.

Barnzy said:
I find this argument interesting. I heard arguments as to Morris being a swingman because he's been played forward and back. In my eyes a swingman is a player who can play both roles well. Can Astbury play forward effectively? From what I gather he's been average at best in the VFL up forward. To me Jake Carlisle is a swingman, not Astbury. Obviously I view him as a backman or nothing.
i find your argument interesting as well ;D

Astbury is the closest we have to a swingman because he has played both forward and back at VFL, maybe Elton. His best AFL form has been as a back but he came as a forward as a lot of KPPs do of course. There is no perfect replacement for Grimes. Dea could come in and McBean forward as well but that means Batchelor has to play as the 3rd tall ...

Depends on match ups

I feel really flat looking towards this weekends game.
I think it's because realisation has set in that top 4 is now highly unlikely which means so is a premiership.
Now we're just scrapping again to make finals. It all feels very Groundhog.
Hopefully a big win is in order to shake the malaise I am feeling.

Sintiger said:
i find your argument interesting as well ;D

Astbury is the closest we have to a swingman because he has played both forward and back at VFL, maybe Elton. His best AFL form has been as a back but he came as a forward as a lot of KPPs do of course. There is no perfect replacement for Grimes. Dea could come in and McBean forward as well but that means Batchelor has to play as the 3rd tall ...

Depends on match ups

i reckon Batchelor is already playing the '3rd tall' role. Grimes has been playing as a 'small' back mostly, with some time on talls.
Dea is the most like for like we have. if we play Astbury we are tall and slow. We would almost need to drop Batchelor to bring in some more run- but hey wont do that.

Tigers of Old said:

Remember these mate? They always make you shake in more ways than one!
th

Tigers of Old said:
I feel really flat looking towards this weekends game.
I think it's because realisation has set in that top 4 is now highly unlikely which means so is a premiership.
Now we're just scrapping again to make finals. It all feels very Groundhog.

Oldie, you have summed up my feelings about this game 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.