Changes v Roos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Roos

CC TIGER said:
Crows are playing fantastic footy atm TF reckon they may flog the Cats if we lose Friday night .

I reckon they will give the Cats a right belting either way. Just hoping we get a win, as I have us playing the Roos again first week of the finals.

We don't need to make many changes apart from bringing the skipper back. It's far more about the game we bring now. We have to stop north on the outside, like we did against Hawthorn.

Personal view is that if we bring that intensity to stop them getting cheap and easy outside ball we will win. North have thrived against us because we didn't bring enough pressure to the ball carrier and we didn't hit our targets, two things we are substantially better at now than the last couple of games against them.

I think North having the wood on us is a good thing. We lift when at least a chunk of the smart money backs against us, (its never all of it any more :cool:. A good mate of mine has been winning big dough last season and this one just betting on us when we are over 3 to 1 and given little chance by the experts. Like the Freo and Hawks wins this year.

Tiger Rob said:
Reckon we'll see knights in wearing the red vest. Just a hunch.
I'd roll the dice with this on Friday nite....too good a player to be sitting on the sidelines.

In memory of Francis said:
Hampson played against Adelaide because of Jacobs. He had one possession and was monstered.

It was the worst game I remember someone playing since Shaun Hampson played early in the year.

:hihi

tigerlove said:
Is it a coincidence that since Round 6 all the teams we have lost to (4) have the best ruckmen in the league? North, Dockers, Eagles, Crows.

I'm still old school that you need a winning ruck in September. Break even it can be done but being smashed is the fast track to finals oblivion. We have to acknowledge our shortcomings this year and work aroun them but I see a quality 200+ ruckman should be no 1 or 2 recruiting target over the trade period.

TigerForce said:
Used to be the opposite many times before CC. I'm sure the Cats will beat the Crows at home next week, and I can't see us stuffing up against the soft Kangas either.

I wouldn't be counting on the Cats to beat the crows next week. Crows are absolutely flying and have everything to play for if we end up losing Friday. Duncan & Caddy are probably unlikely again which would make their midfield that bit too weak against the Crows (the Pies easily accounted for the Cats mids last week, Caddy & Duncan are very big outs). If they do both play it give the Cats a huge chance & hopefully they can pull it off if we do end up losing on Friday. Come on Tiges, it's in our own hands. Let's beat these Kanga minnows to guarantee a home final and once again see 60,000+ Tigers at the G; will be crazy to see again & this time hopefully a win.

In memory of Francis said:
Hampson played against Adelaide because of Jacobs. He had one possession and was monstered.

It was the worst game I remember someone playing since Shaun Hampson played early in the year.

LOL but true. We were a man down in that game. Hampson didn't get near it around the ground and was far from providing Sandilands service at ruck contests.

Can't afford this. Better approach is to play McBean and having Vickery and Maric rotating heavily through the ruck. Even play both at the contest to double team Goldstein.

Plan B could be to elevate Soldo off the rookie list and tell him to knock Goldstein out. Goldstein out for next week with a broken jaw, Soldo subbed off after ticking off his goal and we lose nothing because Soldo is years away anyway. Or is this too violent?

Cotch for Thomas (who was serviceable - ok player to have in the shed). Barring injury, or tactics, that's it - Cotch in is at this point (Griff wont play) our best 22 for 2015 and for the finals.

Irrespective of top 8 shuffling and who/where we might play, if we want to play good football in the next month, then a win on Friday night is a must. Otherwise we are simply just making up the numbers. A hungry, aggressive, disciplined. skillful (including accuracy) is the only way from here on.

TigerForce said:
Used to be the opposite many times before CC. I'm sure the Cats will beat the Crows at home next week, and I can't see us stuffing up against the soft Kangas either.

Cats have checked out for the year, can't see them winning.

Peano said:
Yep, if we lose to North and Adelaide beats Geelong then our first final will be in Adelaide.
If we are losing to North at half time by 3 goals or more we should just completely throw the game, let them beat us by over 100 points so that we play doggies in Melbourne rather than Adelaide at home. I'd like to see Knights, Dea and Cotch come in for Newy, Thomas and Lloyd. See what happens and best case scenario we thrash North by 20 goals, Knights kicks 4, has 30 possessions, North are held goalless in the first half, TV kicks 10 straight etc etc....

Talk of Deleido suffering with a sore neck!

Might be doubtful. Do we risk him? The no Deleido no Richmond would be hanging over us this Friday.

Do we role the dice with Knights if Deleido is ruled out?

They have some decent tall forwards who we might struggle to match up on a fast Etihad deck. Petrie who always plays well against us, Brown who was quiet last week who is a difficult matchup , Waite who I think has a good record against the Tigers, Higgins playing good footy,Boomers speed,Thomas ? We have some selection dilemmas coming up.

Then there is Goldstein. We can allow him to give silver service to his mids which would place tremendous pressure on our backs. Do we role the dice too and bring in Hampson and rest Maric? Or do we conceed the taps and read off Goldstein? I know he was poor in Adelaide but most of the team was off, but against Freo and against Sandilands he was the reason we were well placed to win that game as he competed well and won his fair share of the tap outs. Various stages he was jumping all over Sandilands before he got injured and no coincidence they got back into the game even though we kicked poorly for goal.

A lot of what we do Friday on the fast track undercover may be tactically different on the MCG if we meet.

We have to go out and win.. No question in my eyes and get that home final at the MCG in front of our supporters and huge crowd.

If I were to role the dice this week at Etihad I would-

Ins- Cotchin, Knights, Hampson

Outs- Maric, Deleido, Thomas

Rest the warrior Maric for an all out assault on our turf in front of our crowd and watch him give everything and inspire his team mates.

I know IanG but would you risk him if he has a sore neck? He would be suffering ill effects of concussion too!

He looked a sick boy

What's the news on Lindsay Thomas? Missed the Bulldogs game with an injury. Is it a long term injury, likely to see him miss 2 more weeks?

The more interesting thing for me is what will North do. A win and they play Doggies, a loss and they play us again - not a lot to play for. If I was them I would consider resting Goldie and a few others with the added benefit of playing guys who are fighting for a game the following week who can attack the contest hard potentially leaving a few of our blokes sore the following week.