Changes V Pies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Pies

Lol at the simplicity of the club's defenders on here.

I know that McBean is better than Vickery, Newman and Lloyd.

Dimma knows that McBean is better than Vickery, Newman and Lloyd.

So why isn't he picked?

Could be a number of things. Attitude. Pecking order. Versatility. Match ups. Tactics.

I think one of the main reasons is the fact that we only really play 1-2 guys in overtly offensive positions at any given time during a game. I concede that Liam may be struggling with defensive positioning.

But there is no doubt that McBean is better than those three players I mentioned. Our forward line will look so much more dangerous when he's in.

Carter said:

So why isn't he picked?

Could be a number of things. Attitude. Pecking order. Versatility. Match ups. Tactics.

I think one of the main reasons is the fact that we only really play 1-2 guys in overtly offensive positions at any given time during a game. I concede that Liam may be struggling with defensive positioning.

But there is no doubt that McBean is better than those three players I mentioned. Our forward line will look so much more dangerous when he's in.

How do you know Dimma thinks McBean is better than Vickery?

josey said:
How do you know Dimma thinks McBean is better than Vickery?
Cartman's obviously McJesus father. Sees all, knows all, reads minds n influences people.
It's probably Cartmans fault McJesus isn't getting a senior game, sent him out into the wilderness of magoos for a while to test his resolve n strengthen his faith.

Carter said:

So why isn't he picked?

so he is better than those guys, except at the things he isnt better at?

RemoteTiger said:
I always fear our suburban foe Collingwood - for some reason in the modern era they play well against us even when they are low on the ladder and we well above them.

Not being anywhere near the inner sanctum of Tigerland I therefore do not know the reasoning or machinations of the selection process - but I personally thought Thomas had a better game than Morris last week. Granted Thomas is an inside man in the guts and Morris was a defender. But Morris looked slow in general play when compared to the opposition forwards. And I don't know whether that is slowness of foot or slowness of mind.

Either way if Morris is on Elliot on Saturday I will be on the edge of my seat every time the ball goes near them.

Richmond really need to beat Collingwood then trounce Essendon and that will mean the North game maybe a dead rubber (depending on how results go elsewhere over the next two rounds).

This game could set us up for a strong run into the finals..........
Do they? Didn't we beat them by 10 goals when they were on top and we were well down (The Mother's Day Massacre), they were also one of our victims in 1994 during the 6 game streak (I think it was an 11 goal beating that time). We also denied them a decent finals berth in 2007, when they were up and about and as usual we weren't. A lot of that seems to have been erased by their streak against us since that. I think the 5 point loss they had to us earlier in the year was also the start of their run of 'brave' losses. I seem to remember Nathan Buckley bleating about how they still kicked 100 points in that game on 360. Yes, you did Nathan, but you still lost the game and that's what counts. We had Edwards as a late withdrawal that day, and him being back can only strengthen the side.
I'm no great Lloyd fan, he often doesn't do a lot else if he's not hitting the scoreboard, but just for a comparison with McBean (he's the player most seem to think will take Lloyd's spot, despite being a whole lot taller) how many goals did Lloyd kick in his first 6 quarters of football?
Unless he gets injured Newman will not be dropped from here until he retires at the end of our season, and given the football he's played the last 3 or so weeks, not should he be. I would have liked to see someone else come in for Morris, I do worry what the Pies small forwards will do to him, but Thomas was the right out to put Edwards in. That's how Thomas should be used, a stop gap measure for injuries.

Brodders17 said:
so he is better than those guys, except at the things he isnt better at?

correct.

marking, kicking, handballing, below the knees, kicking at goal, leadership, goal sense, reading the play, forward craft.

a few of the minor things admittedly Paul Broderick.

crikey ...

I think people need to understand that were 3 games out and fighting for our life to stay in finals and be in the best position possible.. Every game is going to be finals like intensity going forward i suspect!

The blooding of players is done for the year unless we are decimated by injuries.

Its going to be body hardened players that have games, the Morris and Thomas's of this world depending on injuries will be our depth players into finals..

Fingers crossed Grimes and Conca come back ASAP

Carter said:

So why isn't he picked?

Is this Ty who kicked 4 goals in the seniors compared to Liam who got 4 touches in the reserves? Maybe DH is on to something knowing Liam is better...then again maybe he will be one day but he isn't there yet. Who knows.

Tigertough1974 said:
I think people need to understand that were 3 games out and fighting for our life to stay in finals and be in the best position possible.. Every game is going to be finals like intensity going forward i suspect!

The blooding of players is done for the year unless we are decimated by injuries.

Its going to be body hardened players that have games, the Morris and Thomas's of this world depending on injuries will be our depth players into finals..

spot on...McBean is VFL fit and VFL match hard, not AFL finals match hard.

Tigertough1974 said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment TT I think silk can just was easily turn a tight game as grunt can.

rosy23 said:
Is this Ty who kicked 4 goals in the seniors compared to Liam who got 4 touches in the reserves? Maybe DH is on to something knowing Liam is better...then again maybe he will be one day but he isn't there yet. Who knows.

Your scale of reference is amazingly small.

Carter said:

So why isn't he picked?

Is he a better key forward than Vickery? Not yet.
Is he a better small forward than Lloyd? Lloyd has shown he's a very good opportunist.
Is he a better mid sized forward than Lennon or Lids? No.
Is he a better mobile tall forward than Jack? No.

I've no doubt McBean isn't being picked because of team balance.
He won't make it in the AFL as a crumbing 202cm tall. His best bet is to usurp Vickery/Griffiths but quite frankly he's not strong enough to do that yet.

Forget this year for the Bean Carts. He has to hit the gym over pre season and get stronger in the contest. Improve contested marking and ruck work.
Beat Rance one on one at training ;) and force his way into the senior side in 2016.

Only watched the first three quarters of the VFL game on the weekend and I'd have been amazed if any of our players had been promoted based on what I saw.

Tigers of Old said:
Is he a better key forward than Vickery? Not yet.
Is he a better small forward than Lloyd? Lloyd has shown he's a very good opportunist.
Is he a better mid sized forward than Lennon or Lids? No.
Is he a better mobile tall forward than Jack? No.

I've no doubt McBean isn't being picked because of team balance.
He won't make it in the AFL as a crumbing 202cm tall. His best bet is to usurp Vickery/Griffiths but quite frankly he's not strong enough to do that yet.

Forget this year for the Bean Carts. He has to hit the gym over pre season and get stronger in the contest. Improve contested marking and ruck work.
Beat Rance one on one at training ;) and force his way into the senior side in 2016.

Agree to disagree ToO.

He is already better than Lloyd and Vickery.

Clearly offers more than Newmo, who has been played mostly forward.

There is a spot for McBean if Dimma could only see it.

FWIW I think the MC would be split on him.

I don't think he would leave, and I also agree that 2016 is a great opportunity for him to shine.

He's ready now though.

Carter said:
Agree to disagree ToO.

He is already better than Lloyd and Vickery.

In some areas this is probably true. Dimma clearly prefer a more traditional team balance. IMO Ty is ahead in that KPF/Ruck role for now.

That said I will certainly be interested to see how Vickery goes tomorrow against better opposition. Beating up on undersized GC defenders doesn't see him out of the woods yet.

Carter said:
correct.

leadership,
Better than Vickery, Lloyd n Newman.

Definitely been drinking the Beansters bath water Carts, did you forget about Newy having been clubs strong captain during a very destabilised period in the clubs history? Did you not read the glowing tributes from Cotch n Dimma in recent days praising Newy's driving of standards n culture around the club over the years.

Getting easier to have rational discussions with zippers n scooty lately compared with your irrational comments regarding the Beanster.