Changes V Pies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Pies

Tigaman said:
Lot hype about Titch but when you look at his stats not very flash after all these years. Has an overall average rate of 77.5. His last three games average was 63. Last 5 games rated 67.6. High game rate this season was 100. Stack this up against Giants Toby Greene whose rate is 88.3.Last three 100.3. Last 5 89.2 with a high game this season of 122. I do think Matt Thomas should be a bit p!ssed off to make way for Titch especially as he must come in underdone.

Are you... Is this fantasy points? You realise those are... fantasy?

In non fantasy land, Edwards is an infinitely better player than Thomas. But that's only in the real world.

Carter said:
this amuses me.

many on here blame Liam for not kicking 10 in his first six quarters of footy.

no, don't blame him for the absurd hyping that some here go on with, but would have been nice if he had kicked at least ONE GOAL in his first six quarters of footy

rosy23 said:
The post you quoted was in regards to Liam coming in for Newmo. Do you both of you think Liam's game warranted that?

Fact is he wasn't selected after those 3 weeks and he seemingly didn't do anything last week to impress the selectors. The reason I've mentioned it is cos some are pumping him up to be the best thing since sliced bread and are having dummy spits when he's not selected. I have nothing against Liam. Hopefully his time will come soon.

Nope.

There are no dummy spits, only critical questions.

What I find more odd are the posters who attack Beanie to redress some kind of perceived imbalance.

They'd rather bring down a young gun than hear the club being criticised.

FWIW I haven't seen you do this Rosy.

rosy23 said:
The post you quoted was in regards to Liam coming in for Newmo. Do you both of you think Liam's game warranted that?

Fact is he wasn't selected after those 3 weeks and he seemingly didn't do anything last week to impress the selectors. The reason I've mentioned it is cos some are pumping him up to be the best thing since sliced bread and are having dummy spits when he's not selected. I have nothing against Liam. Hopefully his time will come soon.

The pumping up by those actually supporting him is nothing more than saying;
He is an undeniable talent, a consistently high performer, a natural forward, and should be getting games.
All the 'McJesus' stuff is from those exaggerating to the point of absurdity, usually to make fun of those who actually watch him at VFL level. No one is seriously suggesting 'he's the greatest thing since sliced bread'.

We just wanna see him get a *smile* run at it.

And again you ask about his last game, which is an odd obsession. No one is suggesting it was his best. But apparently he couldn't come in against Hawthorn, after a 4 goal haul, opponent too powerful. He couldn't come in against Adelaide after a 5 goal haul, the opponent was to good. He couldn't come in against Gold Coast after another 5 goal haul, because it was a danger game.

We were hoping we'd get to see him in the Collingwood game, cause it's the perfect time. Not even an emergency. It would have been a good time to bring him in, give him a run, and see what he could do before finals.

Carter said:
And this is how Damien Hardwick picks his teams.

I think he took a great leap forward after round 6 when he he was prepared to relinquish control over opposition inside 50s, in the process opening space in our own forward half.

His final frontier is letting go on the selection front.

He must begin selecting on overall form. I just can't believe that team morale will stay rosy and warm when the only criteria for selection is how diligent you are without the ball.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with blooding the likes of Menadue, Castagna, McBean, Short, Drummond, Ellis (fitness permitting).

He's blooded more young players this year than almost any other club has. Those that perform at the required level in the seniors - KMac, Lennon, Ellis before injury, Lambert keep being picked. Strange that. Even Menadue got a few games before he dropped off and went back down. No shame in that, not every first year player can maintain the physicality of the AFL for more than a few games.

Those that came up and went back down will get more chances.

antman said:
He's blooded more young players this year than almost any other club has. Those that perform at the required level in the seniors - KMac, Lennon, Ellis before injury, Lambert keep being picked. Strange that. Even Menadue got a few games before he dropped off and went back down. No shame in that, not every first year player can maintain the physicality of the AFL for more than a few games.

Those that came up and went back down will get more chances.

All of those players have had six quarters quieter than beanies. Ellis didn't perform any higher than Beanie did at any point. Even menadue got a few games before he dropped off and went back down. No conspiracy theories here, but I just wanna see what Beanie could do if afforded the same chance!

1 full actual game would be a nice start. Beanie often has his best quarter in the last. Two starts in a row would be luxury.

antman said:
no, don't blame him for the absurd hyping that some here go on with, but would have been nice if he had kicked at least ONE GOAL in his first six quarters of footy

One goal in a dude's first six quarters is the magic number. Thanks for that.

antman said:

I think you're taking the McBean argument way off track like many in "coaches are always right no matter what" camp seem to do.

"Absurd hype", uhh no. That's a running joke but no one seriously expects him to come in an dominate. Most in support of McBean just want to see him get a fair run of games and reward for form that many others on the list seem to get even for lesser form at VFL level. That's the argument.

Where he goes with a little confidence and continuity remains to be seen because it hasn't happened.

Barnzy said:
I think you're taking the McBean argument way off track like many in "coaches are always right no matter what" camp seem to do.

"Absurd hype", uhh no. That's a running joke but no one seriously expects him to come in an dominate. Most in support of McBean just want to see him get a fair run of games and reward for form that many others on the list seem to get even for lesser form at VFL level. That's the argument.

Where he goes with a little confidence and continuity remains to be seen because it hasn't happened.

I think those that hyped him in the early period had incredibly high expectations when he did get picked - and he didn't deliver apart from Cartman's "occasional flashes".

So they've sensibly moderated their expectations - which is fine. I wouldn't expect any player to come in from the VFL and dominate straight up, but I'm generally more level-headed than many here - both in hyping young players up or running average players down.

But for those who reckon the hype is just for jokes, consider last week that Cartman alledged that Beanie "was, is and always will be better than Vickery". On that very day Vickery kicked four goals in the seniors and Beanie kicked zero in the VFL. Karma smacked Kartman in the face right there.

The coaches ain't always right, fair enough, but Dimma's been more right than any coach we've had in the last 30 years. Not infallible, but knows what he wants and gets results.

I always fear our suburban foe Collingwood - for some reason in the modern era they play well against us even when they are low on the ladder and we well above them.

Not being anywhere near the inner sanctum of Tigerland I therefore do not know the reasoning or machinations of the selection process - but I personally thought Thomas had a better game than Morris last week. Granted Thomas is an inside man in the guts and Morris was a defender. But Morris looked slow in general play when compared to the opposition forwards. And I don't know whether that is slowness of foot or slowness of mind.

Either way if Morris is on Elliot on Saturday I will be on the edge of my seat every time the ball goes near them.

Richmond really need to beat Collingwood then trounce Essendon and that will mean the North game maybe a dead rubber (depending on how results go elsewhere over the next two rounds).

This game could set us up for a strong run into the finals..........

RemoteTiger said:
I always fear our suburban foe Collingwood - for some reason in the modern era they play well against us even when they are low on the ladder and we well above them.

Not being anywhere near the inner sanctum of Tigerland I therefore do not know the reasoning or machinations of the selection process - but I personally thought Thomas had a better game than Morris last week. Granted Thomas is an inside man in the guts and Morris was a defender. But Morris looked slow in general play when compared to the opposition forwards. And I don't know whether that is slowness of foot or slowness of mind.

They both did a job, but one had to make way for Edwards.

The good news this week is that we don't have the usual run of "lost this one at the selection table" posts. Those proposing Morris be dropped for Edwards forgot that Morris was picked to cover Grimes in the backline, Edwards is not going to play that role. Dimma's not going to change his magic formula too much week to week, we know he's a believer in consistency of effort, plan, and personnel.

FWIW this game is a real "danger game" in my mind - I don't think Collingwood are as bad as their form suggests. I'll be there on Saturday cheering the boys on though.

Carter said:
You must be getting senile in your old age TM, in all that blather the main thing I take away is that the boy needs to get a solid run at it.

In the same breath you say that he needs to be crucified for not kicking as many goals as Sammy Boy Lloyd. In six quarters.

Little wonder I scratch my head :hihi
Really need to stop shining the torch in your own eyes Carts, might help you to see.
Never yet crucified or bagged up the Beanie, might poke some fun at those with a messiah infatuation sometimes though.

Just for you I'll repeat myself in real simple english, I'll even type real slow so that you can keep up.

In a couple of practice matches plus a couple of senior AFL games Beanie has yet to look like kicking a goal.

Lloyd on the other hand has managed to kick at least one goal in most of his senior games, even kicking multiple goals on a few occasions.

Now it's pretty obvious that Lloyd's a bit older n more experienced at footy, so it's expected he'd have a better chance of impacting games n " helping the team win " something that the club wants, the fans want n the coach wants if we're to play finals n maybe even win some of them.

Beanie's still growing and developing, he'll get some more chances again next year. But if he wants to become an AFL footballer and keep the messiah fan bois happy, then he'll simply have to start having some impact on the game and scoreboard when he does get another senior run.

BrisTiger24 said:
LOL at Miles being dropped before Thomas. Thomas had a good game? Sheesh, our standards are pretty low. He was serviceable but only had 4 kicks, looked slow. We had 1 tackle for the first qtr, Thomas trying to make an impact, he should have been leading the way on that stat in the first qtr.

In: Edwards (or McDonough)

Out: Thomas

Changes are spot on and as I predicted. Thomas can fill in but he only had 4 kicks and while he is ok in and under, I reckon he is slow of mind as well as slow of foot. An unfit Edwards gets picked every time

Pendlebury could be a late out for the eddiepies
Must start beating them. Could not see them dropping a game against us when they were in the 8.

Coburgtiger said:
All of those players have had six quarters quieter than beanies. Ellis didn't perform any higher than Beanie did at any point. Even menadue got a few games before he dropped off and went back down. No conspiracy theories here, but I just wanna see what Beanie could do if afforded the same chance!

1 full actual game would be a nice start. Beanie often has his best quarter in the last. Two starts in a row would be luxury.

A full game would be good but we have to respect a coaches choice of who to start as sub and who to sub off. So I don't blame Dimma for those choices at the time, they worked for the team. There are lots of reasons why one player gets subbed and another doesn't - it's usually either the player is injured, or judged not to be competing at the right level (for whatever reason) or for tactical reasons - eg improve the run of the team (which I think was the case when McBean was subbed off) - etc etc.

I'd say that Dimma et al consider pretty carefully who gets elevated and how long they stay up - it's always a fine art to balance current performance with development needs. Hey, maybe Dimma will surprise us this season yet. Or injury might force his hand.

My Alzheimer's is playing up...

Haven't we already been told that McBrian is better than TV? If so why does he need more opportunity to begin kicking goals? Confused. Should have been ready to snag em as soon as he came in if thats the case?

FWIW I like McBrian and think he will be a good player for us. His time will come. Maybe those taking cheap shots at him are being tongue in cheek. Isn't that the MO after someone is canned on pre then comes good?

RemoteTiger said:

good memory Remote. the last period they were well below us for a few years were the T Shaw years. Since then they have had the "wood" on us as for viurtually all this century they have been a superior outfit - certianly virtually all the Mathouse v wallace Spud and Hardwick Chapters I-IV

ninjahaha said:
FWIW I like McBrian and think he will be a good player for us. His time will come. Maybe those taking cheap shots at him are being tongue in cheek. Isn't that the MO after someone is canned on pre then comes good?

Don't fall into the trap of believing the mantra. Who is taking cheap shots at McBean? I haven't seen anyone seriously call him a dud.

TigerMasochist said:
In a couple of practice matches plus a couple of senior AFL games Beanie has yet to look like kicking a goal.

Lloyd on the other hand has managed to kick at least one goal in most of his senior games, even kicking multiple goals on a few occasions.

Now it's pretty obvious that Lloyd's a bit older n more experienced at footy, so it's expected he'd have a better chance of impacting games n " helping the team win " something that the club wants, the fans want n the coach wants if we're to play finals n maybe even win some of them.

Beanie's still growing and developing, he'll get some more chances again next year. But if he wants to become an AFL footballer and keep the messiah fan bois happy, then he'll simply have to start having some impact on the game and scoreboard when he does get another senior run.

thanks - that's what I was meaning that by having Lloyd in for this game compared to McBean for the rd 7 Collingwood game, I think, with the performances I have seen at AFL level so far, the tigers are at least a 1 goal better team.

I haven't written McBean off by a long way, but right now, I think Llyod is the correct decision and you couldn't drop him after his 3 goals last week.