Changes R6 vs Pussycats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes R6 vs Pussycats

hopper said:
You assume that McGuane and Jackson cannot take us forward because of your superior footballing knowledge to our coaching staff. Your assumptions are just random opinions Barnzy, not facts. Try to accept that not everyone will agree with them - and when they don't it doesn't make them weak. On the contrary, they are following their own mantras and beliefs rather than caving to the impatient.

If the current coaches think McGuane and Jackson can take us forward then we have bigger problems than first thought. We must find other, better options and not settle for mediocre crap that has seen us sit on the bottom of the ladder for so many years.

Barnzy said:
If the current coaches think McGuane and Jackson can take us forward then we have bigger problems than first thought. We must find other, better options and not settle for mediocre crap that has seen us sit on the bottom of the ladder for so many years.

that isn't your point though. you said the panel don't have the strength to drop Jackson or McMahon. very different issue to keeping them on the list long term.

Lets look at them both.

McGuane - We already have Thursty out with a leg injury (hammy I heard). If he's not up this week, and you get your way with McGuane being dumped, you either bring in Post (who was pretty average) or promote Gourdis. Both are very raw, and it will leave our backline with only Newman and Moore as having any experience (and Tuck when he is thrown back).

Jackson - Thomson is injured, Hislop is injured, so who do we bring in to be our tagger? Tuck has accountability issues, and King has had mixed success at best. Given a choice of Tuck, King, and Jackson, I'd be playing Jackson.

I think the point many people miss about players like Jackson & McGuane is at the moment they are pretty much taking very important roles in the team. When we have enough quality that the likes of Jackson and McGuane are just squad players who can be brought in and out of games depending on match ups, we'll be going places.

We don't need to get rid of them to be a serious threat, we just need to promote better players into the crucial roles allowing these guys to play less important roles.

Tiger74 said:
McGuane - We already have Thursty out with a leg injury (hammy I heard). If he's not up this week, and you get your way with McGuane being dumped, you either bring in Post (who was pretty average) or promote Gourdis. Both are very raw, and it will leave our backline with only Newman and Moore as having any experience (and Tuck when he is thrown back).

Jackson - Thomson is injured, Hislop is injured, so who do we bring in to be our tagger?

Post can come in, Rance can push back into his natural position and we can see what he's got. Gourdis should've been promoted. Either way, McGuane is not a long-term option in my eyes and I would drop him this week after his performance and try something new. As I said though, doubt they will.

As for Jackson, he's not tagging much anymore, he said that himself on 3AW the other week and I've noticed he doesn't apply hard tags anymore. If he's not tagging his value in the side plummets.

Barnzy said:
Post can come in, Rance can push back into his natural position and we can see what he's got. Gourdis should've been promoted. Either way, McGuane is not a long-term option in my eyes and I would drop him this week after his performance and try something new. As I said though, doubt they will.

As for Jackson, he's not tagging much anymore, he said that himself on 3AW the other week and I've noticed he doesn't apply hard tags anymore. If he's not tagging his value in the side plummets.

move Rance back, who will help Jack up forward that weighs more than a buck fifty?

Post didn't warrant promotion in my book. Happy to give kids opportunity, but his game last weekend wasn't enough for me.

As for Jackson, fair call, but even if you go to midfielders with physical presense, you are still stuck with Tuck, King, and Martin. Martin is too young to bear the load himself, and of Tuck, King, and Jackson, I'd still much rather Jackson be part of the rotation.

Tiger74 said:
that isn't your point though. you said the panel don't have the strength to drop Jackson or McMahon. very different issue to keeping them on the list long term.

Lets look at them both.

Jackson - Thomson is injured, Hislop is injured, so who do we bring in to be our tagger? Tuck has accountability issues, and King has had mixed success at best. Given a choice of Tuck, King, and Jackson, I'd be playing Jackson.

Whether this is an option or not I do not know but I already rate Goiurdis a better option than McGuane. Gourdis is bigger, faster, a similarly awkward ordinary kick but IMO better under pressure (take Sat at Coburg for instance, some beautifully timed handpasses under pressure to the best option). Get someone on LTIL and promote the goo. I assume he can be promoted at the halfway mark regardless?

Harry said:
In - Thursfield, Morton, Polo, Post, Browne, Webberly, King
Out - Taylor, Tambling, Dea, Simmonds, Farmer, Rance, Tuck

B......Newman........Thursfield..........Webberly
HB....Moore............McGuane...........Polo
C......Martin............Deledio............Cousins
HF.....Morton...........Post................Edwards
F.......Nahas............Riewoldt...........King
R.......Vickery..........Cotchin............Foley
Int.....Astbury.....Collins......Nason.....Browne

Agree with the exception of dropping Rance. Although King is pushing for selection from form at VFL level (barnzy i dare you to deny his good form :hihi) It would be nice to see if Rance can take some marks and kick a few again.

Jason King said:
Although King is pushing for selection from form at VFL level (barnzy i dare you to deny his good form :hihi)

You still don't get it JK do you??!? King is not going to take us forward but he's a decent VFL player. Kicked 5 goals 2 weeks ago because that is his level and couldn't get in to the worst team in the comp so hopefully DH isn't easily fooled. Besides, I watched the game on the weekend and I thought Polo, Morton, Webberly, Connors were all better.

Big Cat Lover said:
Whether this is an option or not I do not know but I already rate Goiurdis a better option than McGuane. Gourdis is bigger, faster, a similarly awkward ordinary kick but IMO better under pressure (take Sat at Coburg for instance, some beautifully timed handpasses under pressure to the best option). Get someone on LTIL and promote the goo. I assume he can be promoted at the halfway mark regardless?

I'm a fan of the Goo, but that is a massive call - pressure from VFL to AFL is completely different, and he has only just come to terms with VFL pressure

on the last point, your understanding is right

Barnzy said:
You still don't get it JK do you??!? King is not going to take us forward but he's a decent VFL player. Kicked 5 goals 2 weeks ago and couldn't get in to the worst team in the comp so hopefully DH isn't easily fooled. Besides, I watched the game on the weekend and I thought Polo, Morton, Webberly, Connors were all better.

Read my post again Barnzy? where do i say King should come in? for the whole season i have been saying keep King out as its the right thing for the team going forward. It was a lighthearted jab at you because i know how much you despise Kingy.

If you are going to dish it out, you might as well not be so serious about it.

Why does Rance spend so much time hunched over or on his hands and knees? He's never gonna be a backman. Too slow, plays short, can't keep his feet. Gourdis needs a shot then it's back to the draft.

Jason King said:
Read my post again Barnzy? where do i say King should come in? for the whole season i have been saying keep King out as its the right thing for the team going forward. It was a lighthearted jab at you because i know how much you despise Kingy.

Fair enough. I haven't seen you saying King should stay out, maybe I missed it. My memories are of you sticking up for the little dud. :hihi

Tiger74 said:
I'm a fan of the Goo, but that is a massive call - pressure from VFL to AFL is completely different, and he has only just come to terms with VFL pressure

on the last point, your understanding is right

how long has goo been at FB? About 6 matches? His improvement in the position is fantastic. I suppose it may be better for him to stick to coburg and really cement the spot but I think he has shown me enough to give him a crack at the elite level. He is physically better equipped than McGuane and I think his confidence levels would be pretty good. All I think is McGuane is not a long term KP option and the goo is. If the coaches think it is better for his development for the goo to continue at Coburg so be it. I liked his game against the dawks preseason under all sorts of pressure.

Don't sweat about Gourdis being promoted, iirc, after round eleven we can upgrade another rookie. So if Goodie is still playing well, he will probably be the man to be upgraded.

Astounds me how someone can say a rookie is no doubt a better player than a senior when they haven't even been tested at the level.
For all we know Pavlich could have kicked 10 against the Goo and he could have turned it over a half a dozen times.
if he ever gets the chance, let's just see how he goes before making such calls.

Tigers of Old said:
Astounds me how someone can say a rookie is no doubt a better player than a senior when they haven't even been tested at the level.
For all we know Pavlich could have kicked 10 against the Goo and he could have turned it over a half a dozen times.
if he ever gets the chance, let's just see how he goes before making such calls.

It's only my opinion, and I've only seen the goo play FB on a few occassions and IMO he is a better option. He's faster, stronger, taller and hasn't shown the panic reactions that McGuane displays weekly. He doesn't display misplaced aggression. He's displayed good closing speed, good judgeemnt of the ball in flight for his spoils and also good decisions when to go for the mark.

It astounds me that supporters think McGuane is a good player. It astounds me the goo was not promoted and Polak was. It astounds me people think Newman is a good player. It astounds me we kept Simmonds on the list. It astounds me supporters think our backline is not the biggest problem. I'm forever being astounded by the tigers. But, it won't astound me when the goo shows us he is a better option than McGuane.

Hopefully the goo gets his chance to prove me right.

Backs: Polo Moore Newman
Half backs: Deledio McGuane Edwards
Centre: Cotchin Jackson Tuck
Half forwards: Rance Riewoldt Taylor
Forwards: Nahas Astbury Morton
Followers: Simmonds Foley Martin

I/C: Collins Nason Webberley Cousins