CC on his last legs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CC on his last legs?

Re: Rookie plan puts Tiger Graham Polak at mercy of draft

Disco08 said:
Yep, I'm reading your posts loud and clear mate. No matter which way you try and explain it I'm afraid it makes very little sense to me. It's the Rabble FC, but one of the people most responsible isn't included in your criticism.

Obviously you didn't read it properly.

Disco08 said:
Was the RFC not a rabble when Cameron took over? You're not affording him the same luxuries as you're supposedly giving Beavis (despite routinely slagging off everything Beavis is involved in)?

Re-signings of duds like King and Schulz to the catastrophe that was last year's draft which he played a big role in. How much leniency do you want me to give him? Huge question marks over him as far his competency in his position.

Barnzy said:
Obviously you didn't read it properly.

Of course. It couldn't possibly be your doing.

Barnzy said:
Re-signings of duds like King and Schulz to the catastrophe that was last year's draft which he played a big role in. How much leniency do you want me to give him? Huge question marks over him as far his competency in his position.

I don't know. Explain to me what "I don't agree with certain decisions he is apart of then there may be some concerns but he will still get my support for a fair while to rebuild this rabble from the ground up. He just needs time and a lot of it" means and there's your answer.

Barnzy said:
Jake King may get a clean slate but he's always going to be a dud that's not up to it.

Your blood pressure goes off the Richter Scale every Jake King gets mentioned.

I have this mental image of your eyes rolling back, foam forming round your mouth, sweat beading on your brow, and mad muttering rants of dud, dud, dud...........

It's gotta be more than general disdain, it's got a real personal edge to it.

Wanna talk about it ;D

Disco08 said:
I don't know. Explain to me what "I don't agree with certain decisions he is apart of then there may be some concerns but he will still get my support for a fair while to rebuild this rabble from the ground up. He just needs time and a lot of it" means and there's your answer.

List manager is totally different to head coach. If CC stuffs up to 2 drafts in a row and re-signs a bunch of duds it's going to hurt us massively long-term. If the head coach is a dud and can't implement certain game plans to suit his playing list, improve skills, decision making and team work then sure it will hurt us but which one would you rather? Head coach also needs longer to adapt and improve, couple of mistakes from the list manager and shut the door. Last year already showed to me that a) CC has no *smile*ing idea in what direction the club needs to head in to be successful or b) He's just a yes-man to the coach, does whatever they say, a pushover... instead of working in tandem with FJ, doing his job which is knowing the talent pool of each draft and strongly recommending and having the final call on ceratain list management decisions.

How is Cameron going to stuff up 2 drafts? He doesn't play any role in the actual picks does he? Isn't that Jackson's job? I think it's been established that coaches have a big say in the structure of a list but you're telling me the two roles are completely different and one is deserving of time to turn things around and the other isn't?

Last year showed you that CC is categorically hopeless? Despite the fact that he addressed list balance by getting some strong bodied mids, key position players and ruckmen that we obviously needed quite desperately?

One-eyed Tiger said:
Your blood pressure goes off the Richter Scale every Jake King gets mentioned.

I have this mental image of your eyes rolling back, foam forming round your mouth, sweat beading on your brow, and mad muttering rants of dud, dud, dud...........

It's gotta be more than general disdain, it's got a real personal edge to it.

Wanna talk about it ;D

Not a fan of midgets who give away a ton of free kicks, can't kick to save themselves, can't make decisions...basically can't do *smile*. Anytime he gets near senior selection I nearly have a heart attack.

Disco08 said:
Despite the fact that he addressed list balance by getting some strong bodied mids
What have those 2 'strong bodied mids' shown? There was some very good kids taken around those picks, proven to be an absolute waste so far. CC is the list manager, he works closely with FJ and should know the draft inside and out and be knowledgeable enough to approve or deny certain decisions like recycling. Looks like he's made a mistake there.

Disco08 said:
key position players

They look like 2 players of the future but going over the draft, every club got very good players with their early selections because it was such a GOOD draft. Begs the question again, why did we only take 2 18 year old's out of the system and 3 picks in the ND? Seems CC and co lacked the foresight to see a cleanout was needed and thus screwed us long-term. Now we have to take a lot more kids in a weaker draft.

Barnzy said:
What have those 2 'strong bodied mids' shown? There was some very good kids taken around those picks, proven to be an absolute waste so far. CC is the list manager, he works closely with FJ and should know the draft inside and out and be knowledgeable enough to approve or deny certain decisions like recycling. Looks like he's made a mistake there.

Maybe Jackson had been talking to the Adelaide and Bulldogs recruiters. They'd both passed by the time we picked Hislop. Either way it's far to early to be making a call on these guys, especially given Thomson's injuries. There's no doubt that Hislop showed more as a junior than any kid that was available at pick 58 last year.

I don't think it was a perfect draft (either Thomson or Hislop would have been better IMO) but it's far from the disaster you're making it out to be.

Barnzy said:
They look like 2 players of the future but going over the draft, every club got very good players with their early selections because it was such a GOOD draft. Begs the question again, why did we only take 2 18 year old's out of the system and 3 picks in the ND? Seems CC and co lacked the foresight to see a cleanout was needed and thus screwed us long-term. Now we have to take a lot more kids in a weaker draft.

You said this the other day, but again you can't make that call yet. It could still turn out to be a weak draft and this year could end up being very strong. Unless you've got a crystal ball you've got no idea.

Cameron was working in tandem with a coach who thought we were all set. These guys have to work as a unit, one can't just decide to rebuild while the other one's trying to push for finals. I personally think he did well not being pushed into trading pick 8 for a flanker and using the remaining picks on more flankers. This year the direction is clearly rebuild and I can't see that he's done anything wrong. Can you?

Barnzy said:
Not a fan of midgets who give away a ton of free kicks, can't kick to save themselves, can't make decisions...basically can't do sh!t. Anytime he gets near senior selection I nearly have a heart attack.

:hihi

IanG said:
Melbourne made the finals consistently when he was recruiting manager. He also had a knack for picking for needs quite well. Melbourne's problem in the last 2 years has been the decline in their top echelon but he wasn't the List Mgr.

He must carry a lot of the blame for Melbourne's fall as he was the one recruiting the future of the club. Although it was after he left Melbourne they hit the bottom of the ladder, he recruited the players the brought them on their knees. Its about 5 to 7 years later when you see the real value of a good recruiter.

Disco08 said:
Cameron was working in tandem with a coach who thought we were all set. These guys have to work as a unit, one can't just decide to rebuild while the other one's trying to push for finals. I personally think he did well not being pushed into trading pick 8 for a flanker and using the remaining picks on more flankers. This year the direction is clearly rebuild and I can't see that he's done anything wrong. Can you?

Well what you just said brings us back to what I posted on the last page.

Barnzy said:
Either... a) CC has no *smile*ing idea in what direction the club needs to head in to be successful or b) He's just a yes-man to the coach, does whatever they say, a pushover... instead of working in tandem with FJ, doing his job which is knowing the talent pool of each draft and strongly recommending and having the final call on certain list management decisions.

MB78 said:
He must carry a lot of the blame for Melbourne's fall as he was the one recruiting the future of the club. Although it was after he left Melbourne they hit the bottom of the ladder, he recruited the players the brought them on their knees. Its about 5 to 7 years later when you see the real value of a good recruiter.

Agree and the signs aren't looking good so far with his efforts at the RFC.

Or maybe he's just doing what his job entails.

How do you think he's done so far this year, or is it not worth looking at because you've already written him off after one draft?

Disco08 said:
Or maybe he's just doing what his job entails.

How do you think he's done so far this year, or is it not worth looking at because you've already written him off after one draft?

Pretty hard to judge how he's gone this year this isn't it? The Draft hasn't even commenced. I know he's been off on his holidays at an extremely poor time though. A lot of the duds who should've been gone years ago have been sent packing but they weren't really hard calls at all, rather obvious calls. A decision is still yet to be made on Polak, Simmonds is still on the list, we've left a decision up to a 35 year old on his future. I would say he's been average so far with my limited information before the draft.

The offseason's a bad time for holidays? He was here for trade week, what's the problem? And why do you want to see the draft to judge him? He's the list manager, not the recruiting manager.

Disco08 said:
The offseason's a bad time for holidays? He was here for trade week, what's the problem? And why do you want to see the draft to judge him? He's the list manager, not the recruiting manager.

The list manager is a contributing factor in what direction the club heads towards in terms of what kind of player we take, how many picks we take, do we recycle, etc and he works closely with the recruitment manger (Francis Jackson) to do this. This has all be explained before. A lot of the players futures are yet to be officially announced/decided too so it's hard to judge.

Disco08 said:
Thanks for that.

So what would have to happen in the draft for you to concede that Cameron did OK?

Basically the opposite of last year. As I've said and others have said CC has big question marks over him, last year really hurt us regardless of what impact Wallace had, CC is in charge of list management and should be enforcing his power. He should be making decisions on what he believes will help better the club for the long-term. Instead of 3 ND picks we need to take at least 6-7, don't pick up other clubs players/discards (Hislop/Thomson) if there's quality youth around those picks and after that just the usual, go for best available with first pick and possibly 2nd and address needs later in the draft. As you've heard me say many times before though, this should've all happened last year and if it did we would be in a much better position going forward long-term than we currently are.