Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

tigertim said:
Anyone watch Mick press conference? He answers questions with just a stream of disjointed thought bubbles that no sense. Just waffles on trying to sound wise.

"Make no mistake, we are an average side" (words to that effect), "we can't attract free agents because we don't play finals.....last year" (forgetting 2013), blah blah excuse excuse about the list....

But 2 weeks ago he couldn't see where they'd lose a game.

Can't stand him.n

Stat sheet addiction. Don't worry he'll reiterate to the players what he told Richo pre-game last night:-

Richo: "Do a few critics bemuse you?"
Micky: "We wanted to win last week, we were beaten by a better side, and as I said to the players that on Monday there'd be 8 other sides that have lost and we would be 1 of the 9 that have lost"

TigerForce said:
Agree, but it's only the profile of the club that still fits. Just like ours as a Big 4. They have definitely become the new Richmond as 1995 is now fast becoming a long time ago.
Parkin made a comment on 774 last night after the game that he could die having been the last Carlton Premiership coach, so that's how far away he thinks they are.

this must have been how other supporters used to view us for 30 odd years. It's been fun telling Blues supporting friends that I feel sorry for them.

The next step will be people saying 'I'd like to see Carlton do well. It'd be good for footy.' Then 'they do have a great theme song.' (This isn't true of course, unless you like theme songs that sound like strippers could strip to)

TJsFurrow said:
The next step will be people saying 'I'd like to see Carlton do well. It'd be good for footy.' Then 'they do have a great theme song.' (This isn't true of course, unless you like theme songs that sound like strippers could strip to)
And then when they inevitably sack Mick, some journo writes 'They eat their own at Carlton.'

Baloo said:
this must have been how other supporters used to view us for 30 odd years. It's been fun telling Blues supporting friends that I feel sorry for them.

I hate carlton as much as the next man but they are in such a bad state at the moment that I actually do feel sorry for them. I can't see them being a threat for a long time and are relying on false hopes that are crushed by round 2. It's tough.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Sticks and Ratten swapped Kennedy for Judd and a pretty big draft pick, which I think West Coast cooked IIRC.
But even so, Carlton were all so smug after landing Judd and Kruezer. For a season or two it looked good too.

Judd was fantastic for that club. He arrived when Carlton was rock bottom, and for a couple of years under Ratten they were ahead of the clock and very promising. Not sure what happened in 2012.

But they've eaten their cake re Judd; must be very hard watching Kennedy outscore them 10 goals to 9.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Judd was fantastic for that club. He arrived when Carlton was rock bottom, and for a couple of years under Ratten they were ahead of the clock and very promising. Not sure what happened in 2012.

But they've eaten their cake re Judd; must be very hard watching Kennedy outscore them 10 goals to 9.
Last time they came bottom, they managed to turn it to their advantage. Wonder if they can do that again.

CarnTheTiges said:
And then when they inevitably sack Mick, some journo writes 'They eat their own at Carlton.'

They've eaten their own far more than we have the past 15 or so years. Going back to Wayne Brittain.

St Kevin said:
They've eaten their own far more than we have the past 15 or so years. Going back to Wayne Brittain.
u

So much for "sticking fat"!

If they sack Mick and replace him with bomber the entertainment will continue for another 4 years! It would also mean Bombers philosophy re. Football clubs has changed and he is desperate. Didn't want to come anywhere near the RFC in the early 2000's but would now go to the CFC which is in a similar if not worse situation with a similar short history.

I dont recall any carlton supporters giving me any sympathy for 30 years of failure they
are a rabble ..get the popcorn out as far as im concerned.

TigerForce said:
Has BluesBloke converted yet? :hihi

There will be plenty of posts in the drunken thread that he created this year.

Baloo said:

The difference between them and us is that a lot more of theirs drop off when the chips are down. Will be borne out by the attendance at the return (Richmond home) game.

They were quite happy when Ratten took over to just play out the year without the real need for wins that culminated in the Kruezer cup. I don't think Ratten was ever regarded as a good coach, you could say that he was punching above his weight when he got them to the finals - of course the heirachy shot themselves in the foot by demanding they finish top 4 in his last year or else Ratten was gone.

I remember in Mick's last year as coach of Collingwood there was all this drama going on about him finishing that really derailled their year, but at the same time Ratten was on his last year and wanted to know what was happening with his contract.

I got the impression that Carlton would have wanted to get Mick at the end of that year (2011), but with the finals coming nothing could be done or said. Ratten gets a 1 year contract, makes the finals, but not top 4 and is replaced by Mick who has spent a year in the media virtually waiting for the gig.

Carlton supporters had been moaning for years prior to Mick turning up about their 1st pick recruiting - constantly taking midfielders when they needed KP's. The Kane Lucas/Daniel Tahlia draft is an excellent example.

We have hopefully moved on from the times when we kept stuffing up our drafting and list management - I don't have much sympathy for them to be honest.