Brownlow 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brownlow 2024

I turned it on just as Romping Wins was crossing to Maddern at the beginning. Turned it off and left it off 20 seconds later.

AFL article on how the umps differ so much from the coaches and it doesn't make sense.

Even just a couple of games early in the year for us.

Port at Home. Everyone who was at that game watched Butters rip us a new one. Votes were Wines for 3 (got 26 disposals and 10 clearances I guess) but I just remember Butters running the ball constantly out of stoppage and putting the ball inside 50 - game high score involvements of 13 backs up his impact
2 - were for Marshall - got 4 goals and missed a couple of easy ones - take note of this one when we look at the next game
1 - Shai - Was ok and probably 1 of our best but probably wasn't in the best 3 players who probably all should have been Port players. If 1 of our players Bakes was our best on the day

Coaches votes were 10 - Butters, 5 - Bakes - 4 Drew, 4 - Wines, 3 - Zerk-Thatcher, 2 - Rozee, 2 - Marshall

St Kilda in gather round. Low scoring game, Shai was electric, we all remember him in that game, he was everywhere. 4.1, match high score involvements of 8. No votes at all.
3 to Wilkie who was ok, our poor kicking played into his hands. 2 to Seb Ross, who had 25, only 4 CP's and only 4 score involvements. Seriously! and 1 to Nank - it was a ruckmans game and potentially either ruck could have scored votes. Steele was also huge in that game.

Coaches votes were 10 - Shai, 7 - Steele, 4 - Dusty, 3 - Sinclair, 2 - Battle, 2 - Hill. 1 - Taranto, 1 - Wilkie
So Wilkie BOG according to the umps. 1 coach though he was 5th best, 1 coach didn't rank him that high. Ross not in either coaches top 5, but 2nd best for the umps.

Called these 2 out as both early games where the player unanimously voted BOG by the coaches didn't even get a vote in either game, but so many strange calls by the umps. Just explains that they don't really understand the game at all. The Brownlow (if it had any left) has finally lost all credibility whatsoever.

Reactions: 6 users
I only watched the red carpet segment.
Mrs Willos likes to look at the ladies and their dresses. I like to look to see if something falls out 🫣
Too much time spent on the voting , need more close ups of the red carpet. Maybe Broady can fill in 😊

Reactions: 1 user
The umpires gave Cripps a decent suck of the sauce bottle.

2 Votes, 20 deposals in a win over the Dockers
3 votes, 22 deposals in a win over Port
2 votes, 19 deposals in a win over the Bombers
2 votes, 28 deposals in a loss to the Dogs
3 votes 30 deposals in a loss to the Pies
3 votes, 30 deposals in a loss to the Saints

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

2 Votes, 20 deposals in a win over the Dockers
3 votes, 22 deposals in a win over Port
2 votes, 19 deposals in a win over the Bombers
2 votes, 28 deposals in a loss to the Dogs
3 votes 30 deposals in a loss to the Pies
3 votes, 30 deposals in a loss to the Saints
4th for free kicks in 2024.
23rd for free kicks in 2023.
1st for free kicks in 2022.
2nd for free kicks in 2021.
3rd for free kicks in 2020.
1st for free kicks 2019.
1st for free kicks 2018.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
This is just another obvious proof on how pathetic these dumb, imbecilic flogs are in this code.

Looks like they didn't like Bont's 'The Boss' hairstyle this season and Cripps seems more attractive....

• Haha
This is just another obvious proof on how pathetic these dumb, imbecilic flogs are in this code.

Looks like they didn't like Bont's 'The Boss' hairstyle this season and Cripps seems more attractive....
Greg Williams 1993 - gets 44 possessions in Round 10, but no vote. Loses the count by a vote to Wanganeen.

As the story goes, a young umpire was going to give him votes before the much more senior John Russo intervened, who'd had a history of run-ins and an axe to grind with Diesel.

The integrity of the award has long been flawed.

Reactions: 11 users

2 Votes, 20 deposals in a win over the Dockers. 10 point win Saad 25d Curnow 3 goals
3 votes, 22 deposals in a win over Port 36 point win. Walsh 34d
2 votes, 19 deposals in a win over the Bombers 26 point win. TDK 24d
2 votes, 28 deposals in a loss to the Dog. 14 point loss
3 votes 30 deposals in a loss to the Pies. 2 point loss
3 votes, 30 deposals in a loss to the Saints 3 point loss
What is a deposal worth? 2 x disposals 😊
But point taken.
You can still be BOG in a losing side, but I’d like to see the margins and how other players were rated.
And his free kicks: For 49. Against 47

I'm at Crown. Saw Kane Cornes in casual. Clearly didn't get an invite but trying to feel part of it
Heard he told security if they don't let him in he'll be going home and the night will be ruined.
Stormed off and left in his Prius.

Greg Williams 1993 - gets 44 possessions in Round 10, but no vote. Loses the count by a vote to Wanganeen.

As the story goes, a young umpire was going to give him votes before the much more senior John Russo intervened, who'd had a history of run-ins and an axe to grind with Diesel.

The week Hird played an absolute blinder, everyone in the media agreed he was easily BOG, it was the week after he slagged off the umpires. From memory I don’t think he got a single vote.

Reactions: 1 users
North have some stats padders who get a lot of the ball but have little influence on the game. They get votes but they don't win them games.
Have a look at our game against them at Marvel. They had lots more possessions and marks but we had way more inside 50s and if we had a forward line would have won the game. As I recall LDU was good that day but so was Vlossy as an example and Baker but they didn't get 30 possessions so didn't vote.
Yep no arguments there, I was replying to the comment.

Because North and WC were competitive in more games than us.

Just think of the many that should have won a Brownlow and did not. KB and Matthews come to mind.

We had 4 umpires vote this season. Couldn’t get calls right or the votes.
Umpiring department is a mess

Reactions: 3 users

I used to know an AFL umpire, who went around in the Williams days. I criticised him for missing stuff like the 44 possession game.
His response was something akin to, it's fairest and best and when you have a player being a dirty little sniper and mouthing off at umpires, they fail the first test for votes.