Brownlow 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brownlow 2024

I used to know an AFL umpire, who went around in the Williams days. I criticised him for missing stuff like the 44 possession game.
His response was something akin to, it's fairest and best and when you have a player being a dirty little sniper and mouthing off at umpires, they fail the first test for votes.
Dipper and Plugger must have been exceptionally well behaved, when they won. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Dipper and Plugger must have been exceptionally well behaved, when they won. 😀
Plugger was a thug, but didn't back answer much to umpires, particularly in the early days apparently.
Dipper...bit too young to remember him much. Was he much different to other players of the 80s in terms of his physicality?

Reactions: 1 user
Plugger was a thug, but didn't back answer much to umpires, particularly in the early days apparently.
Dipper...bit too young to remember him much. Was he much different to other players of the 80s in terms of his physicality?
IMO Dipper was one of the worst of his era.
The 80s were a lot cleaner than the 70s.

My half a zack.

A panel of two recently (a few years) retired players watch the game in the flesh, then again on video, then cast 3-2-1.Voters probably must have played 100 games or so.
Each two member panel must not have played for the teams they vote on, and each panel must be positionally different.
Eg a mid and a back.
There would be a limit on how many games each player could vote on and they must not vote on same team(s) twice.
Any ex-players with a current role in the media is ineligible.

Have a look at below, A violent Saturday posted by Rhett Bartlett.

My enduring memory of Dipper is from the ‘89 GF. He had both of the Hocking brothers in a headlock, while they were whacking into his ribs. Liked the elbows did Dipper.

Reactions: 2 users
My enduring memory of Dipper is from the ‘89 GF. He had both of the Hocking brothers in a headlock, while they were whacking into his ribs. Liked the elbows did Dipper.
Gazza cleaned up Dipper up in that Game.
The only time I remember Gazza coming off second best was after he crashed into Glen Jackovich.

Last edited:
The only time I remember Gazza coming off second best was after he crashed into Glen Jackovich.
Was that how he broke the ribs? Pretty sure Dipper finished the game with a punctured lung. Gazza burst Wayne Johnson’s spleen with a shirtfront once, he could hit hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Aspects of this stink to high heaven. Sports betting.
Thought the same.

Every Brownlow multi in the country would have Bont rightfully leading votes for the Dogs.

Yet Treloar gets most votes, and CEO Wife announces before the count that Bont won't win.

Stinky night from a stinky organisation

AFL360 showed Dill's wife virtually leak out that "Bont is not in the mix" before the counting....WTF!!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
AFL360 showed Dill's wife virtually leak out that "Bont is not in the mix" before the counting....WTF!!
But, but, but. All the votes were kept secret n locked in a safe at Armaguard. Just like every year for the last 50 years n there's never been a leak before the count.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Was that a state of origin game? I remember WA v Vic and Ablett got hip and shouldered hard, then he got up and played out the game. Course....I was probably in my early teens. I may have remembered that game with an air of rose coloured glasses.

Was that a state of origin game? I remember WA v Vic and Ablett got hip and shouldered hard, then he got up and played out the game. Course....I was probably in my early teens. I may have remembered that game with an air of rose coloured glasses.
I can't say for sureif it was a State of Origin or a Geelong game , that is the only time I remember Gazza being shook up after a clash.

Last edited:
Greg Williams 1993 - gets 44 possessions in Round 10, but no vote. Loses the count by a vote to Wanganeen.

As the story goes, a young umpire was going to give him votes before the much more senior John Russo intervened, who'd had a history of run-ins and an axe to grind with Diesel.

The integrity of the award has long been flawed.

Totally agree.

KB 1974 was a clear one where he should have won. At least Keith Greig was a great player and KB came third.

But the howler of all time was Geoff Raines getting no votes in 1980.

The umps are incompetent in so many ways.

I have never watched the Brownlow, it is a contrived borefest, and I have never understood how anyone can keep awake through that rubbish.

DS