Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Six Pack said:
nope thats not how it is. yr making a lot of assumptions about my atheism
As if you'd know what you believe. Djevv is the arbiter of that!

evo said:
As if you'd know what you believe. Djevv is the arbiter of that!

OK so what DO you believe? I'm only going from what I have read here and elsewhere. I asked this in a previous post, so I'm hardly trying to arbitrate!

I believe I have no idea how or why the universe came into existence and I believe there is little to no evidence for a supernatural creator. I don't write off the possibility 100% but without evidence I remain entirely sceptical. I believe that each individual creature deserves respect so that's the way I try and live my life.

Essentially, I believe that we are born, we live and then we die. And there's nothing else after that.

So, I do agree that life is mostly meaningless, but I also believe that we can make the best of what we have while we are here.

I don't believe in any higher powers. I have no opinions on how we came to be.

i do believe in the power of love.

Djevv said:
OK so what DO you believe? I'm only going from what I have read here and elsewhere. I asked this in a previous post, so I'm hardly trying to arbitrate!

I believe in my own ability to reason.In fact I think that is all I have available to me to work out my existence and like the existentialist thinkers believe making ones life a 'project' gives it a sense of meaning.

If pressed to express an opinion on the issue of 'first cause' I would say that there has always been 'everything' and it just changes form/appearances

I don't mind the Buddhist idea of 'dependent-arising'/'contingency'/Pratītyasamutpāda or whatever you want to call it as well.

Thats about it.

And this is relevant D.

Just because there is no greater purpose, does not mean life is futile and without meaning. It means we should enjoy my awesome NY style cheesecase, and cherish the moments we have, before time runs out and the screen fades to black.

Six Pack said:
Essentially, I believe that we are born, we live and then we die. And there's nothing else after that.

So, I do agree that life is mostly meaningless,

So why is it a bad thing if I kill you? If your life is mostly meaningless and you are inevitably heading for death which will wipe any memory you have of life anyway, why is it a crime to kill you? You may say that your family will be upset by it but they will die eventually and have no memory of it either so that only really counts as a short term loss and I could kill them too to take away their pain if you like.

Of course I don't believe any of this but if there is nothing after death, we are a chance creation made just the same as animals with no real purpose, then life is completely meaningless and there is no loss if it is gone. If we know we are all heading for death, then I can't see the magnitude of murder. It is merely speeding up an inevitable occurrence. But if life is designed, intended, meaningful and if we were created with a purpose then taking someone's life is abonimable. Just my thoughts.

Disco08 said:
I believe I have no idea how or why the universe came into existence and I believe there is little to no evidence for a supernatural creator. I don't write off the possibility 100% but without evidence I remain entirely sceptical. I believe that each individual creature deserves respect so that's the way I try and live my life.

Very well put Patsy.

jayfox said:
if there is nothing after death, we are a chance creation made just the same as animals with no real purpose

You think animal's lives have no purpose?

jayfox said:
So why is it a bad thing if I kill you? You need a God to answer this question for you?

If your life is mostly meaningless and you are inevitably heading for death which will wipe any memory you have of life anyway, why is it a crime to kill you? You may say that your family will be upset by it but they will die eventually and have no memory of it either so that only really counts as a short term loss and I could kill them too to take away their pain if you like.
How does the existence of a God change any of this?

I would've thought seeing the value in co-operation and not slaughtering each other at the drop of a hatwould be innate in a human;but not in chrisitans it seems.Unless the slave master is watching them all the time the're ready to run off and commit any manner of crimes. Seems rather childish to me that they feel they must be watched 24/7.

Of course I don't believe any of this but if there is nothing after death, we are a chance creation made just the same as animals with no real purpose, then life is completely meaningless and there is no loss if it is gone. If we know we are all heading for death, then I can't see the magnitude of murder. It is merely speeding up an inevitable occurrence. But if life is designed, intended, meaningful and if we were created with a purpose then taking someone's life is abonimable. Just my thoughts.
So you wont just do the right thing unless there's a reward at the end of it seems.Sounds rather selfish.

What is this 'purpose' you refer to anyway?

Anyone who thinks good or evil can be an absolute hasn't given it much thought in my opinion.

Disco08 said:
You think animal's lives have no purpose?

No I meant that we are then chance creations, the same as animals. The "our lives have no purpose or are basically meaningless is SixBucks line not mine. I absolutely believe that all life was created intentionally and every single living thing has a reason and place in this world. I believe that all life is very meaningful and important in the eyes of God.