Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Djevv said:
Every cloud has a silver lining?
It's an ill wind?
Shades of grey?
Is this what you are talking about?

An absolute means "true in all possible worlds"--ex anthropomorphic.

good and evil are human concepts-they are relative by definition.

evo said:
How does the existence of a God change any of this?

I would've thought seeing the value in co-operation and not slaughtering each other at the drop of a hatwould be innate in a human;but not in chrisitans it seems.Unless the slave master is watching them all the time the're ready to run off and commit any manner of crimes. Seems rather childish to me that they feel they must be watched 24/7.
So you wont just do the right thing unless there's a reward at the end of it seems.Sounds rather selfish.

This just shows that you absolutely don't get it. Being "watched" or seeking only "reward" has little to nothing to do with being a Christian, and if you are living your life like that then God would be able to see through that facade. He knows our innermost thoughts and intentions and even if we can fool our families, friends and even ourselves, we cannot fool God.
evo said:
What is this 'purpose' you refer to anyway?

The meaning of life. Men search for it but it is really very simple. The meaning or purpose to live is to have a relationship with and glorify God. That is why the universe was created - to glorify Him. You should watch the DVD Indescribable by Louie Giglio. It is an astronomy based DVD about the amazing wonders of the universe. I reckon every person, particularly anyone with an interest in Science or Creation should watch it. It is fantastic.

evo said:
Anyone who thinks good or evil can be an absolute hasn't given it much thought in my opinion.

If you believed in him, couldn't Satan's evil be considered absolute?

jayfox said:
This just shows that you absolutely don't get it. Being "watched" or seeking only "reward" has little to nothing to do with being a Christian, and if you are living your life like that then God would be able to see through that facade. He knows our innermost thoughts and intentions and even if we can fool our families, friends and even ourselves, we cannot fool God.
Well then explain to me what the value of the God is in the christian construct.

If you're doing the right thing regardless of reward or fear then how are u different to the disbeliever?

The meaning of life. Men search for it but it is really very simple. The meaning or purpose to live is to have a relationship with and glorify God. That is why the universe was created - to glorify Him.
To be a slave in other words.

A life can't have meaning unless one is a servant and pay homage on a daily basis appears to be the message.

That doesn't sound appealing at all.Personally I'd rather be free on this short time on earth.

You should watch the DVD Indescribable by Louie Giglio. It is an astronomy based DVD about the amazing wonders of the universe. I reckon every person, particularly anyone with an interest in Science or Creation should watch it. It is fantastic.
Yes the universe is wonderous on that we agree.It's not an argument for God though.

jayfox said:

This is the bit I don't get.

God is perfect and good, yet Satan (who he created from my limited understanding) was one of his boys for a long time, and is pure evil.

Did God who knows all create him as evil? If so, why did he play mates with him for so long? And if Satan became evil, how? He was a creation of God living in the environment of God, so where did the initial evil influence come from? Was God's design flawed, if so does this mean God is not perfect?

jayfox said:

You would have to explain what the term Satan's evil means before I could answer that.

It seems to me not even Chrisitians believe good and evil are absolute.If a Chrisitian really believed it's an absolute then he would follow the Bible literally,and all times.

Slavery was once good,but now it's evil? Clearly it's either human intuition playing a hand--good and evil are relative terms--or most likely, both.

OK so good and evil are relative and human concepts. How would you define them? Is one always better than the other? If you are truly to experience life to the fullest would it be better to do both? Is there any reason for a non-believer to restrain him-herself from evil?

Djevv said:
OK so good and evil are relative and human concepts. How would you define them? Is one always better than the other? If you are truly to experience life to the fullest would it be better to do both?
It would take an essay to do those questions justice.
Is there any reason for a non-believer to restrain him-herself from evil?
Is there a reason for a christian?Because according Jayfox Christians aren't restraining from evil out of fear or reward.

evo said:
It would take an essay to do those questions justice.Is there a reason for a christian?Because according Jayfox Christians aren't restraining from evil out of fear or reward.

Christians have their nature changed by the indwelling Holy Spirit and the renewing of their mind. I suspect this is what foxy loxy is referring to. But this is the Atheist thread.

Surely a brief treatment of my questions is possible?

I have always thought that God/Jesus-Satan etc are all one and the same concept, just a construct that represents the duality of man.

Ok brief response....
Djevv said:
OK so good and evil are relative and human concepts. How would you define them?
As relative.
Is one always better than the other?
Relatively speaking,yes. ;D
If you are truly to experience life to the fullest would it be better to do both?
This question doesn't make sense to me.

Six Pack said:
I have always thought that God/Jesus-Satan etc are all one and the same concept, just a construct that represents the duality of man.

My next question is on the nature of man. Is he good or evil fundamentally?

Djevv said:
Is 'relative' and a 'human construct' any different to saying they don't exist?
No,it's a way of saying good and evil mean something different to every person(even Christians).Hence relative.

'Not absolute' and 'don't exist' aren't the same thing.

Djevv said:
My next question is on the nature of man. Is he good or evil fundamentally?

Oh right that makes more sense.Again it comes back to the relativeness of the terms good and evil.

But if I had to pick a side I would side with Jean Jaques Roussea and say man is fundamentally good.

evo said:
No,it's a way of saying good and evil mean something different to every person(even Christians).Hence relative.

'Not absolute' and 'don't exist' aren't the same thing.

What I am trying to say is that if we allow everybody to define their own version of good and evil, the term becomes meaningless. I also percieve a problem with the fact that some people's version versions might not be acceptable to society as a whole - but since they are relative, we have no right to correct them.

We can still construct this concept of good and evil from within the communities, families and cultures we live in. My parents, for example may have inculcated me with a sort of Western Judeao Christian set of morals or ethics. I can accept some of the messages of christianity or Buddhism or whatever without embracing the whole thing.

Djevv said:
What I am trying to say is that if we allow everybody to define their own version of good and evil, the term becomes meaningless.
But thats just a realization of what happens anyway.Everybody does decide what is good and evil to them.It's unavoidable.

That religion has anything to say on this is a smokescreen, only believed by the religious.

If you were to be honest with yourself you would recognise that YOU decide which parts of the Bible to follow,and which parts not.The only people who don't do that are fundamentalists,and even that is a choice itself.

Theists are the same as atheists on the subject of good and evil and morality.The only difference is they just haven't realised it yet.(IMHO)

I also percieve a problem with the fact that some people's version versions might not be acceptable to society as a whole - but since they are relative, we have no right to correct them.
If they are not acceptable to society as whole then society as a democracy decides.

Would you prefer a theocracy?

evo said:
Oh right that makes more sense.Again it comes back to the relativeness of the terms good and evil.

But if I had to pick a side I would side with Jean Jaques Roussea and say man is fundamentally good.

If man is good where do all the evil deeds arise from?