Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Djevv said:
I didn't realise you believed in Satan , Devo!

Well it's a silly question only an absolutist would think is meaningful.

Saying man is basically a good by nature doesn't mean evil(I don't even like the word personally) can't arise.

evo said:

Saying man is basically a good by nature doesn't mean evil(I don't even like the word personally) can't arise.

I find it amazing you think it is a 'silly question' as surely it's an important question! I mean we as a society spend a lot of time and money combatting various forms of evil, so if there is a solution, which your 'man is good' statement seems to imply, I would like to hear it!

I have always thought that it was the ones who 'believed' who had all the explaining to do as they had arrived at some sort of understanding of the world. As an atheist I really don't have to explain anything, as really, none of it makes sense to me at all.

I agree 6er.

Theists are the ones claiming absolutes yet it is the non-theist who has the explaining to do?.Bizzarre.

evo said:
I agree 6er.

Theists are the ones claiming absolutes yet it is the non-theist who has the explaining to do?.Bizzarre.

I remember having this same convo with Foxy about 900 pages ago about the burden of proof being on the believer. here we are again hey?

Djevv said:
I find it amazing you think it is a 'silly question' as surely it's an important question! I mean we as a society spend a lot of time and money combatting various forms of evil, so if there is a solution, which your 'man is good' statement seems to imply, I would like to hear it!
It doesn't imply any solution. You asked me to choose between two extremes.I reluctantly chose 'good'
although as I've repeatedly said all these concepts are relative.

There is no absolute solution,sorry to break the news to you.

" just be good to you mother."

Six Pack said:
I have always thought that it was the ones who 'believed' who had all the explaining to do as they had arrived at some sort of understanding of the world. As an atheist I really don't have to explain anything, as really, none of it makes sense to me at all.

And that sums up the crux of your stance, it seems to me. It's a difficult topic, that is difficult to make a decision on, so you will avoid making any decision by simply not believing in anything. That way you don't have to justify or explain your internal stance.

jayfox said:
And that sums up the crux of your stance, it seems to me. It's a difficult topic, that is difficult to make a decision on, so you will avoid making any decision by simply not believing in anything. That way you don't have to justify or explain your internal stance.

I dont think it's to do with avoidance. Or justification. And i am not sure what you mean by 'internal.'

Good to see ya though, Foxman! :clap

Tiger74 said:
This is the bit I don't get.

God is perfect and good, yet Satan (who he created from my limited understanding) was one of his boys for a long time, and is pure evil.

Did God who knows all create him as evil? If so, why did he play mates with him for so long? And if Satan became evil, how? He was a creation of God living in the environment of God, so where did the initial evil influence come from? Was God's design flawed, if so does this mean God is not perfect?

A brief paraphrased summary -

Satan was created by God, you are correct. Satan was one of God's most powerful angels too. Correct again. God gave his angels the choice of whether to follow Him or not, similar to the way He has with us. Satan was jealous of God's power and worship and wanted it for himself so he rebelled against God convincing a third of God's angels to go with him. Satan's lust for power and worship is never satisfied though and he saw how great God's love for man was so he attacked God's most treasured creation, hoping to turn him against God. He started with the first man and woman and went from there and due to man's similar lust for selfishness and things of this world, Satan has been very successful in his mission. But, as with us all, Satan will be judged one day and unlike any who believe in Jesus as God's son, he will suffer eternal punishment in Hell, which was actually designed for Satan and his angels.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any questions.

satan is as much a construct as god is. they are one and the same, reflecting the different sides of man.

evo said:
You would have to explain what the term Satan's evil means before I could answer that.

It seems to me not even Chrisitians believe good and evil are absolute.If a Chrisitian really believed it's an absolute then he would follow the Bible literally,and all times.

Slavery was once good,but now it's evil? Clearly it's either human intuition playing a hand--good and evil are relative terms--or most likely, both.

It was a question for you. I don't believe that evil on Earth is absolute as we all have a chance to reject evil (sin or wrongdoing - whatever you want to call it) whilst on Earth and accept Jesus' gift of forgiveness. Is evil absolute after death? I guess it is as, after death and judgment, there is no escape from Hell and an eternity of suffering for our evil deeds. Unless we have repented and asked God's forgiveness in this life.

Six Pack said:
satan is as much a construct as god is. they are one and the same, reflecting the different sides of man.

This is a personal view of yours that has no Biblical backing at all. The only way that you believe in Satan is through him being revealed to us through the Bible and yet your stance on him is contradictory to the clear message that the source of your information gives us.

Six Pack said:
of course it has no biblical backing. that's self-evident.

And this is where the problem comes from.

- The only reason we know of Satan is from what we have read in the Bible.
- You don't believe the words of the Bible and in fact admit that your opinion on Satan has no Biblical backing at all.
- Yet you have formed an opinion of what Satan is. You have formed an opinion on something that you only know of from a source that you don't believe in.

That doesn't make sense to me.

evo said:

Is any question silly if it is truly important to the person who is asking it?

I dont believe in the biblical satan, a real satan if u like. I believe he is a construct made by humans to try and explain stuff.

Six Pack said:
I dont believe in the biblical satan, a real satan if u like. I believe he is a construct made by humans to try and explain stuff.

How intelligent do you believe that we (the human race) are?