Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Disco08 said:
Only one religion (if any) can be right, so all members of the religions that have it wrong are deluding themselves, aren't they?

Maybe they can be wrong and right at the same time.

If the divine is awesome, and beyond comprehension for mere mortals, how can we understand it perfectly? Look at how kids (for instance) understand where babies come from. A 5-6 year old cannot understand this properly, so some get the basics (from mummy's tummy) right, with others off in fairy land (storks, pumpkin patches, etc). This is because they cannot understand the details behind conception and birth, and they have had their understanding conveyed to them in imperfect ways.

Maybe all religions are on about the same thing, its just that stupid humans keep screwing up the message by filtering it through our personal experiences, biases, and cultural prejudices?

Disco08 said:
If they're worshiping different gods, how can they all be right?

What if they are different by the same?

Look at human relationships. Your father to you is your Dad, but he is a husband to your mother, a son to your granparents, a mate to his friends, a colleague to his work mates, and so on. The same person, but with very different roles and appearances depending upon who he is dealing with.

This is what puts me off most religions, they are so absolute. The divine is supposed to be all knowing and all powerful. How can stupid humans understand him/her/them/it absolutely, when we cannot yet even figure out some of the basics of our own natural world?

Disco08 said:
Only one religion (if any) can be right, so all members of the religions that have it wrong are deluding themselves, aren't they?

I'm not sure about deluding themselves? Maybe being deluded by others ;D. They may be genuinely looking for God, they may be living as He wants them to be? Remember, those without access to the Gospel will be judged on the way that they live their lives.

Sorry, the point I meant to make was that a lot of people from all religions claim to have a personal relationship with their god, so clearly most of them are deluding themselves.

jayfox said:
I'm not sure about deluding themselves? Maybe being deluded by others ;D. They may be genuinely looking for God, they may be living as He wants them to be? Remember, those without access to the Gospel will be judged on the way that they live their lives.

But they could make the same argument about you.

That is why I asked my question before (which was sincere - I don't actually have anything against you personally) - how can you tell the difference between self delusion and reality in the case of a God that doesn't provide verifiable evidence for you to follow (ie faith based beliefs)?

If anyone is interested in evolution there was a symposium conducted earlier this month entitled, From RNA to Humans: A Symposium on Evolution. All of the talks have been placed on the website for viewing.

There is some discipline-specific jargon involved, however there are some notable speakers and it gives a picture of where the field is in 2008. Very interesting.

I know this is not strictly on the thread topic, but we have discussed evolution a lot on this thread. :)

Disco08 said:
Hey, why'd you get rid of it ant? I liked it.

It looked too small and unreadable - I couldn't change the image dimensions.

Here it is again. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm146/Bender571/Motivators/Motivator62.jpg

Motivator62.jpg

Try these two out for size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_noncognitivism

I am proud to be part of such a fine tradition. No splitting and reformation for us! Our message has withstood the test of time. :clap

6pack,our tradition is older than mankind.The religious or theiest can't claim that. ;)

evo said:
6pack,our tradition is older than mankind.The religious or theiest can't claim that. ;)

A tradition older than mankind implies that someone existed before mankind and that somebody passed on that tradition to mankind. :eek:

1eyedtiger said:
A tradition older than mankind implies that someone existed before mankind and that somebody passed on that tradition to mankind. :eek:

Some sort of higher being maybe?

evo said:

How can you have a disbelief in something if the disbeliever doesn't exist?

jayfox said:
How can you have a disbelief in something if the disbeliever doesn't exist?
disbelief is your word.

Atheists don't necessarily 'disbelieve'

They may consider there is nothing to believe,or not believe in.

Do you disbelieve in"hmiohmimr"?