Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

antman said:
If the shoe fits, I'll wear it.
At least when 10 days passes and the world is still much the same,you can be pleasantly suprised.

Sounds like a win/win. :)

Jay called me names too. Said i was part of a prophecy. At the time it riled me, but i am coming around to the idea.

Azza said:
If it comes down to such a basic concept, then why add belief in Jesus into the mix to confuse things? If God hadn't sent Jesus, he could just stick to damning selfish people.

Jesus exemplified for us what a life lived pefectly in tune with God is like. He was also unjustly murdered, which resulted in the defeat of Satan and a 'get out of Hell free' card for those who have faith in him. His departure from Earth to heaven resulted in the Holy Spirit being released to do his work (through us) on Earth.

Damning selfish people (sinners) is what God hoped to avoid by sending Him.

It seriously just doesn't make any sense to me. I can't get one sentence into any description of how this all works without questions flying into my head. Sorry to say that the answers to those question, to me, tend to make as little sense as the descriptions.

Djevv said:
Damning selfish people (sinners) is what God hoped to avoid by sending Him.

Then why did he put the apple tree and snake in front of Adam and Eve in the first place? He'd have had no sinners then.

Or is that just a parable?

Disco08 said:
It seriously just doesn't make any sense to me. I can't get one sentence into any description of how this all works without questions flying into my head. Sorry to say that the answers to those question, to me, tend to make as little sense as the descriptions.

Fair enough. Best I can do is to say despite not understanding all the workings of my mobile, I can still use it to call my Mum :)! BTW the first sentence was the most important.

I do have this web address of a site that attempts to seriously address the issues you speak of. If you are interested here it is http://www.yhwh.com/Science/science0.htm.

Thanks Djevv. I've done a lot of reading but I'll give this a go too. I have to say though that this is generally the explanation I look for first and to me this is like many others - clichéd and nonsensical.

This notion is shared by many people. The idea of predestination, preordination and absolute determinism shaping the course of the universe. I renounce this on two bases: 1) Each individual human being does have free will. I do not have to jump out of a 15th story window in order to prove that I can. 2) That freedom of the individual as it relates to the creator means that freedom of will and freedom of choice are a subset of the divine mind. Therefore to me God is a conscious, willful being who is doing all of this for a reason, for a purpose. In other words, this universe is not inevitable, this universe is not required. But this universe is consciously and deliberately shaped by God.

Freezer said:
Then why did he put the apple tree and snake in front of Adam and Eve in the first place? He'd have had no sinners then.

Or is that just a parable?

Well the snake was the Devil, a 'fallen' angel, which are another order of beings Gods creation who are pretty mysterious. So by this stage he must have sinned, and grabbed his opportunity to get in Eve's ear. He was looking to extend his 'kingdom'.

The tree is an interesting one. Was it a test? I don't think so, I think it was a natural part of the garden. But it was dangerous. So the admonition not to touch it was like a parent telling a child not to touch a hot stove. Probably in the fullness of time Adam & Eve would have been allowed to eat from it, but now was not the time.

And after they had eaten, they were never the same again. Their whole perception of themselves, God and nature changed. Something broke that could only be fixed by God himself visiting Earth years down the track.

Disco08 said:
Thanks Djevv. I've done a lot of reading but I'll give this a go too. I have to say though that this is generally the explanation I look for first and to me this is like many others - clichéd and nonsensical.

This notion is shared by many people. The idea of predestination, preordination and absolute determinism shaping the course of the universe. I renounce this on two bases: 1) Each individual human being does have free will. I do not have to jump out of a 15th story window in order to prove that I can. 2) That freedom of the individual as it relates to the creator means that freedom of will and freedom of choice are a subset of the divine mind. Therefore to me God is a conscious, willful being who is doing all of this for a reason, for a purpose. In other words, this universe is not inevitable, this universe is not required. But this universe is consciously and deliberately shaped by God.

I have found the site very interesting, and have spent many hours on there reading the material. But it is a Christian site and I guess if that doesn't work for you well........................but it does address a lot of issues that a lot of places don't. And in a pretty straightforward no BS manner. IMO.

Djevv said:
Well the snake was the Devil, a 'fallen' angel, which are another order of beings Gods creation who are pretty mysterious. So by this stage he must have sinned, and grabbed his opportunity to get in Eve's ear. He was looking to extend his 'kingdom'.

The tree is an interesting one. Was it a test? I don't think so, I think it was a natural part of the garden. But it was dangerous. So the admonition not to touch it was like a parent telling a child not to touch a hot stove. Probably in the fullness of time Adam & Eve would have been allowed to eat from it, but now was not the time.

And after they had eaten, they were never the same again. Their whole perception of themselves, God and nature changed. Something broke that could only be fixed by God himself visiting Earth years down the track.

Very good description Djevv. The only thing that I would add to that is that for people to be able to have a true and willful relationship with God they had to be able to make the choice of whether they wanted that relationship or not and whether to obey God's commands or not. If you have no choice then it is not really a relationship of free will.

jay, what about those people who dont have a choice? Like the poor folk who wake up one morning, born again!

Six Pack said:
jay, what about those people who dont have a choice? Like the poor folk who wake up one morning, born again!

I don't know what you mean?

Hypothetically, if you woke up and discovered that you had been born again as a Christian, then u wouldnt have a choice would you?

Six Pack said:
Hypothetically, if you woke up and discovered that you had been born again as a Christian, then u wouldnt have a choice would you?

You can't wake up and 'discover' you'd been born again as a Christian. It is a conscious decision that a person has to make.

jayfox said:
You can't wake up and 'discover' you'd been born again as a Christian. It is a conscious decision that a person has to make.

For a reference, watch the church scene in the Blues Brothers with James Brown (may he rest in peace) as the preacher. "I have seen the light!!!"

antman said:
For a reference, watch the church scene in the Blues Brothers with James Brown (may he rest in peace) as the preacher. "I have seen the light!!!"

Thank goodness Hollywood has nothing to do with eternal salvation.

Six Pack said:
Jay called me names too. Said i was part of a prophecy. At the time it riled me, but i am coming around to the idea.

I was joking about Antman being a false prophet. Clearly he does not claim to be a prophet at all and his "10 days" comment was said as a joke. You fulfill prophecy by scoffing at the word of God and asking "where is your God?" which is exactly what the Bible predicted people would do in the end times.

jayfox said:
I was joking about Antman being a false prophet. Clearly he does not claim to be a prophet at all and his "10 days" comment was said as a joke. You fulfill prophecy by scoffing at the word of God and asking "where is your God?" which is exactly what the Bible predicted people would do in the end times.

Well it must be true then. ::)

jayfox said:
You love to live in a world of denial and without judgement.

Quite the contrary Jay. I don't believe in your god so these hypotheses are meaningless to me. I just try and articulate them as though they are true because that seems to be the way it's done.