Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Djevv said:
Sorry, Evo, you got it wrong way round. Both these guys are dead and God is still with us :hihi!

If there is any justice in the heavans and earth Nieztsche, as we speak ,is up in heavan mocking him to his face. ;D

Sometimes this thread is an entertaining intellectual spirited theological debate...

...and then there are times when it degenerates into meaningless crap. (he says ducking for cover)

>:D :angel:

Disco08 said:
A woman is raped and murdered. Her husband, through grief denounces god, goes on a drinking binge, swears, steals and gets run over and killed walking home. This man goes to hell. The rapist/murderer then has the rest of his life to come to grips with the fact that what he did is wrong, find god, repent and go to heaven. Is this right? Is it fair?

I guess that would be considered a tough break... it would depend a bit on the type of Christianity he practiced. If he had lived a worthy life up to that point, some swearing and stealing would not automatically condemn him to hell even if he didn't have time to repent. But Christians would probably say we don't know when God might take us, so better be well-behaved and truly repentant now, just in case.

Worth noting though that Jesus died to save us from our sins... this is why we get the "Get out of Hell free" card because Jesus died for us. Even though I don't believe in all this mumbo-jumbo it's interesting to examine its internal logic.

t-rob said:
Sometimes this thread is an entertaining intellectual spirited theological debate...

...and then there are times when it degenerates into meaningless crap. (he says ducking for cover)

And this makes it pretty much the same as 90% of the threads in all the forums on PRE.

Six Pack said:
It's all a scam to try and keep the masses quiet and happy with their lot.

I reckon it's more psychological than that. Getting forgiveness for whatever you have the guilts about is a wonderful way of destressing, and activitating your brain's alpha waves.

I agree with that, Azza, but I also think that down through the ages the Ruling classes have used the big stick of religion and the big carrot of salvation as a way of subduing the masses.

t-rob said:

"theological debate". Nothing to debate. Massively important to debunk deface and disclaim religious belief in these dangerous times. We'll get there slowly.

ToraToraTora said:
"theological debate". Nothing to debate. Massively important to debunk deface and disclaim religious belief in these dangerous times. We'll get there slowly.

The problem is that the 'dangerous times' are when certain people need the re-assurance of black and white answers from some supra-human entity that is beyond reproach. It can be way too complex to work things out for yourself!

Jay has explained his position on this matter. If you didn't have the opportunity to hear the word then you can still make it to heaven.

My question then is: why are some tested and others not?

Azza said:
The problem is that the 'dangerous times' are when certain people need the re-assurance of black and white answers from some supra-human entity that is beyond reproach. It can be way too complex to work things out for yourself!

Work out what?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Jay has explained his position on this matter. If you didn't have the opportunity to hear the word then you can still make it to heaven.

My question then is: why are some tested and others not?

So it's better not to hear the word of Christ? Less chance of being condmened for being a teensy bit sceptical?

Panthera tigris FC said:

he didnt convince me.

In one infamous post he damned 6 million jews by saying 'they had their chance.'

Why are Christians so intolerant? Is it because deep down they know they are wrong, and they can't possiblly defend their ideas in any rational way?

Azza said:
You know. It. Things. 42.

I don't really understand the anxiety that these question cause in some people. I am interested in these questions, but I am happy to know what I can know.

(Douglas Adams fan eh?)