Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Disco08 said:
You don't think there's some chance that the NT was written in a way that ensured Jesus would fulfill those prophecies?

You know I don't.

jayfox said:
Your conversion has absolutely no impact on my salvation. I have admitted to being human, with faults. One of those faults is that I get angry from time to time. If something I created consistently did the opposite of what I instructed it to, snubbed its nose at me, refused to believe in me, went to extraordinary lengths to do mock or abuse me, then I reckon I would destroy them out of frustration or anger at least once in the last few thousand years!

Well if you ever happen to be a god, here's a free tip. Make your existence a little more obvious to your creations and you might not be quite so disappointed (it will also save you from over-smiting and RDI (repetitive damnation injury)). :)

ToraToraTora said:
I have a strong interest at the moment in the dangerous nature of religious belief. Oh yes been reading Harris, Dawkins et al, and doing more and more. And you said that the "repentant mass murderer" argument "doesn't fit" (whatever that means) because "most" ....blah blah...do ALL mass murderers have to truly repent before making this argument solid? I would have thought one , just one , getting through the pearly gates ahead of me was enough to make the argument watertight.

The argument that it is never too late and no matter what you have done you can still be saved because of God's amazing grace and the incredible sacrifice of Jesus? Yeah, you're right, just one will do.

How is God ALL LOVING and ALL FORGIVING then sets up these torture pits ? That one has been bugging me since I was 8. So murder makes it impossible to repent?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Well if you ever happen to be a god, here's a free tip. Make your existence a little more obvious to your creations and you might not be quite so disappointed (it will also save you from over-smiting and RDI (repetitive damnation injury)). :)

Not too worried to be honest, because I will never be a God. There is only one, you know. ;)

ToraToraTora said:
How is God ALL LOVING and ALL FORGIVING then sets up these torture pits ? That one has been bugging me since I was 8. So murder makes it impossible to repent?

He gives everyone an opportunity to either spend eternity with Him or without Him. You just have to make that choice in this lifetime. If you choose to live without Him then you choose to live without any good thing that He has created.

Quite the opposite. You can repent after murder. David in the Bible did it as an example. I like Phillip Yancey's quote to sum this up -

"There is nothing we can do to make God love us more. There is nothing we can do to make God love us less."

Actually my "conversion" to errr...don't much like the term atheism.....REALITY...a few months ago has actually made me a better person. Before I "converted" I was often rude and impatient with the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons we get banging on our door every few weeks. I live in Yokohama Japan by the way where nearly everyone is damned because the ravings of Francis Xavier were no match for the far more advanced spiritual doctrines of Shinto , Buddism and also Bushido (hell is chock full of Japanese and Chinese you know). I find myself being so polite and deferential when they knock these days. Why is that I wonder? What is it about the acceptance of my true fleeting nature on this rock that makes me MORE TOLERANT of religious ning nongs? Is this something I should address? I guess I have today anyway ! Sorry JF!

jayfox said:
He gives everyone an opportunity to either spend eternity with Him or without Him. You just have to make that choice in this lifetime. If you choose to live without Him then you choose to live without any good thing that He has created.

Quite the opposite. You can repent after murder. David in the Bible did it as an example. I like Phillip Yancey's quote to sum this up -

"There is nothing we can do to make God love us more. There is nothing we can do to make God love us less."

Yeaaaaahhhhh buuuuuutttt....why the torture pits? Is that at all necessary?

You can repent after murder? I know that. You told me a few posts ago MOST murderers who repent don't repent truly (statistics please), therefore any murderer who repents truly doesn't count. Don't tell me you didn't cos that is what you implied.

ToraToraTora said:
Actually my "conversion" to errr...don't much like the term atheism.....REALITY...a few months ago has actually made me a better person. Before I "converted" I was often rude and impatient with the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons we get banging on our door every few weeks. I live in Yokohama Japan by the way where nearly everyone is damned because the ravings of Francis Xavier were no match for the far more advanced spiritual doctrines of Shinto , Buddism and also Bushido (hell is chock full of Japanese and Chinese you know). I find myself being so polite and deferential when they knock these days. Why is that I wonder? What is it about the acceptance of my true fleeting nature on this rock that makes me MORE TOLERANT of religious ning nongs? Is this something I should address? I guess I have today anyway ! Sorry JF!

You may have changed outwardly but your posts indicate a inner intolerance for these types (Christians).

Re the Hell comments, please re-read the 'living without the law' posts. They may not be going to Hell at all.

ToraToraTora said:
You can repent after murder? I know that. You told me a few posts ago MOST murderers who repent don't repent truly (statistics please), therefore any murderer who repents truly doesn't count. Don't tell me you didn't cos that is what you implied.

What? This is what I am saying - Anyone, regardless of what they have done can be saved if they believe and repent but this repentance has to be real and only God knows the heart of the repenter.

Gee well at least you can admit when you are wrong....errr...I think.
Thanks guys and gals, had a ball, gotta run, Go Tiiiiiiggggeeessss.

A woman is raped and murdered. Her husband, through grief denounces god, goes on a drinking binge, swears, steals and gets run over and killed walking home. This man goes to hell. The rapist/murderer then has the rest of his life to come to grips with the fact that what he did is wrong, find god, repent and go to heaven. Is this right? Is it fair?

evo said:
Nieztsche and Darwin killed him 100 years ago.It's just that many people haven't got with the program as yet.

Sorry, Evo, you got it wrong way round. Both these guys are dead and God is still with us :hihi!

Hi guys.

One small point of Jay's that i need to refute. Jay says God gives everyone the chance to know him, therefore the chance to be saved.

this is clearly nonsense.

For example, and we can all think of stacks:

If I was born of Jewish parents in Hungary in the late 1930s it would have been a fair chance that i would have been gassed in an Nazi death camp.

where was my chance?

Six Pack said:
Hi guys.

One small point of Jay's that i need to refute. Jay says God gives everyone the chance to know him, therefore the chance to be saved.

this is clearly nonsense.

For example, and we can all think of stacks:

If I was born of Jewish parents in Hungary in the late 1930s it would have been a fair chance that i would have been gassed in an Nazi death camp.

where was my chance?

Not to mention all the people that died before the word of Christ had a chance to reach them - Australian aborigines for example.