Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Eddie said we are in a great position, the best position, to set ourselves up pre-Tassie. He asked Lloyd and Barratt who would you rather be - Wssendon, St Kilda or Richmond. Lloyd begrudgingly agreed then tried to pit a negative slant on it by saying he was worried about senior players leaving.
And Barratt just sat there stunned with what Jim and Ed were saying
That’s Parrot’s default when anyone doesn’t agree with him.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm calling it now. We will be doing well to win more than 2 games next season.
All I ask for is effort, sound development with our young players and someone that knows what they're doing in our fitness/conditioning department.

Reactions: 6 users
There were many on here saying it all through the early rounds - nah, you can’t trade all those players, it’s the nuclear option, the sky will fall.

I didn’t see it then and I don’t see it now.

We are in an extraordinary position to rebound quickly on the back of pure talent.

We take it, with both hands.

It looks like we're on the path now.

Be it performance, direction, coaching or strategy, our best players are heading out the door.

It looks like this year we are going to lose Rioli, Graham, Baker, Bolton, Martin, Pickett and Grimes.

A third of our starting team in the 2019 and 2020 grannies.

17 premierships worth of talent, leadership and experience.

4 of whom are in their prime.

This, I think, will represent the biggest risk I have ever seen any club take.

We are now at the hands of our trade and draft team. Can we recoup appropriate value in the draft? And can we translate that into star players?

If we do, can we develop them under Taranto and Hopper as the mature guidance?

It is a gargantuan gamble. Stuff up the next couple of months, and the club will be ruined for more than 37 years.

But we get it right, and it could be a turbo charged rebuild.

I have everything crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
It is a gargantuan gamble. Stuff up the next couple of months, and the club will be ruined for more than 37 years.

No, I don’t get this at all.

It is NOT a gargantuan risk.

We finished 18th with a clutch of senior players going through the motions (Prince excepted). Some of these players will be traded for maximum future value. Good business.

Let go of the “high risk” angle. It does not make a lick of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I dont think we are taking a risk per se, as much as we dont have a choice.

This is wrong too. We had a choice and we tapped Bolton on the shoulder. From that moment the path was set.

We chose to be a club on the hunt, actively providing Yze with a clean slate and a host of top end talent to develop.

The alternative was to keep the status quo, keep our marquee player, keep Rioli happy and convince Baker to stay.

That’s the long road. That’s a decade of misery.

Reactions: 4 users
I think the club and Yze have handled this really well. With some unexpected luck.

- get our champions to 300 and let them go out in in the manner they deserve
- Yze is respectful arriving at a club with a lot of ageing stars
- stockpiled draft picks
- horrendous run with injuries probably helped the wantaway players decide to go
- injuries forced us to play the kids
- the kids had mostly had injuries the previous year so weren’t ready, essentially first year players
- that helped push us to the bottom
- turning players who for whatever reason aren’t invested into first round picks
- opportunity to reset with perfect timing re Tasmania

Reactions: 12 users
I think the club and Yze have handled this really well. With some unexpected luck.

- get our champions to 300 and let them go out in in the manner they deserve
- Yze is respectful arriving at a club with a lot of ageing stars
- stockpiled draft picks
- horrendous run with injuries probably helped the wantaway players decide to go
- injuries forced us to play the kids
- the kids had mostly had injuries the previous year so weren’t ready, essentially first year players
- that helped push us to the bottom
- turning players who for whatever reason aren’t invested into first round picks
- opportunity to reset with perfect timing re Tasmania
Short of the “nuclear option” many warned us of, it is a beautiful thing, YE. To quote Johnny Topper.

Reactions: 1 users
We finished 18th with a clutch of senior players going through the motions (Prince excepted).

Bolton didnt have his best year, but wasnt far off other years.
Which if the other 3 who are leaving was just "going through the motions"?
Or which of our other senior players were? Short is named a lot. Anyone else?

You keep saying this as if you know it is true. But im guessing you dont.
A month before it was reported that Bolton wanted back to WA his own camp released a statement saying he was perfectly happy in Melbourne.

Perhaps they got wind of what was to happen and wanted to head it off somehow, who knows.

But to think the club - a modern benchmark in operations - has lost control of the players and has created a “stampede” is naive.

But you do you.

Bolton didnt have his best year, but wasnt far off other years.
Which if the other 3 who are leaving was just "going through the motions"?
Or which of our other senior players were? Short is named a lot. Anyone else?

You are naive.

Bolton was playing silly buggers for the last six weeks.

Baker also.

Vlastuin looked disinterested at times, Prestia could barely move.

Balta lost discipline and focus, Taranto checked out early. Short was uninvested.

Shall I go on?

No, I don’t get this at all.

It is NOT a gargantuan risk.

We finished 18th with a clutch of senior players going through the motions (Prince excepted). Some of these players will be traded for maximum future value. Good business.

Let go of the “high risk” angle. It does not make a lick of sense.

It makes perfect sense.

I'm thinking of it from a leadership, culture and performance point of view, but let's talk business sense.

We are selling off all our highest assets, to invest in the single most volatile market, the draft.

If we don't get adequate compensation or can't convert that into players with the same level of currency, then we have lost out.

That's the risk.

Keeping in mind that we would have been able to invest (less completely) in the draft regardless.

Like it or not, this is risky.

Your bet is that it will pay off. Now we're in it, I hope you're right.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the club is acknowledging that, with the current list and retirements, we are now unable to compete for a premiership. I am sure they admit they made a major error by trying to remain competitive by trading for Taranto/Hopper, but it is better to acknowledge this rather than double down.

Our skills are the worst in the league and this can only be addressed with new talent and turning over the list.

I think the club realises the predicament, and rather than trying to be competitive and win 7-10 games a year, they are going through a full rebuild. Of course, there is a risk this does not result in ST premierships, but I don't believe they have a choice.

That all said, I really have no idea what the club is thinking :D

That all said, I really have no idea what the club is thinking :D
Like most of us on PRE. It's opinions and speculation, some perhaps a bit more informed by reason than emotion. Most of the time it's interesting reading and informative or good for a laugh 😂

A month before it was reported that Bolton wanted back to WA his own camp released a statement saying he was perfectly happy in Melbourne.
Oh silly me. If Bolton's camp said he was happy in Melbourne then he clearly had no intention of leaving.
Otherwise that would be the 1st time a player has ever lied about wanting to leave his club.

You are naive.
But yes, i am the naive one.

Bolton was playing silly buggers for the last six weeks.

Baker also.
Bolton form over the last 6 weeks was pretty similar to the rest of the year, except he stayed forward more.
Baker missed 2 games with concussion (unless you dont believe he was concussed?) otherwise he averaged 20 disposals and a goal a game over the last 6 weeks.

You do like to make stuff up and call it fact, dont you?

It makes perfect sense.

I'm thinking of it from a leadership, culture and performance point of view, but let's talk business sense.

We are selling off all our highest assets, to invest in the single most volatile market, the draft.

If we don't get adequate compensation or can't convert that into players with the same level of currency, then we have lost out.

That's the risk.

Keeping in mind that we would have been able to invest (less completely) in the draft regardless.

Like it or not, this is risky.

Your bet is that it will pay off. Now we're in it, I hope you're right.

No, no sense at all. First, I don’t agree with you about leadership. As a rebuilding club we still have plenty of wise old heads. When we begin challenging again we will of course need more leadership but hopefully our high picks will develop in this space quickly. Multiple picks in the first round will enhance the chances.

As for the business case, you are worried about trading out “high value assets”.

You don’t seem to be able to wrap your head around the concept of relative value. Bolton is a high value asset but for a challenger, not so much to us.

If we don’t trade Bolton, we don’t get the picks for him. If we don’t get the picks for him, we are more chance of staying in the bottom four. If we are more chance of staying in the bottom four, Bolton, without much leadership or cultural value, and playing forward of the ball, isn’t much value to us at all.

On the other hand, trading Bolton for two good young players, even if their aggregate worth is slightly less than Bolton, is worth plenty to us as we are converting half a platinum career into two future gold careers, a time-based decision that has us better placed to win another flag. Value.

Can you see how trading Bolton now maximises his value and the club is hence better off?

Last edited:
Oh silly me. If Bolton's camp said he was happy in Melbourne then he clearly had no intention of leaving.
Otherwise that would be the 1st time a player has ever lied about wanting to leave his club.

But yes, i am the naive one.

Bolton form over the last 6 weeks was pretty similar to the rest of the year, except he stayed forward more.
Baker missed 2 games with concussion (unless you dont believe he was concussed?) otherwise he averaged 20 disposals and a goal a game over the last 6 weeks.

You do like to make stuff up and call it fact, dont you?
Angst. Good. You are simply tying yourself in knots.

The club controlling / managing the departure of these players as ongoing list management is more likely to me than your “it’s a stampede” world.

As for form, folks who watch will tell you Baker and Bolton were poor in the last clutch of games. But thanks for the meaningless stats.

Like I said, you do you.

It looks like we're on the path now.

Be it performance, direction, coaching or strategy, our best players are heading out the door.

It looks like this year we are going to lose Rioli, Graham, Baker, Bolton, Martin, Pickett and Grimes.

A third of our starting team in the 2019 and 2020 grannies.

17 premierships worth of talent, leadership and experience.

4 of whom are in their prime.

This, I think, will represent the biggest risk I have ever seen any club take.

We are now at the hands of our trade and draft team. Can we recoup appropriate value in the draft? And can we translate that into star players?

If we do, can we develop them under Taranto and Hopper as the mature guidance?

Unless you've built a Delorean that can reach 88mph, this outcome is inevitable. what's not is the opportunity to potentially grab 4-5 elite players in the deepest draft seen for 20 years