Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Its worth mentioning that the game Yze seems to be playing is not a quick fix strategy, which lots of people appear to want. I for one think there isnt a quick fix. And even if we aspire to be a competitive team year in and out like Geelong, he needs to build the culture that facilitates that himself, not work within the one he has inherited.
Such a good point.

He will get to do that from here I feel

As much as he loves Grimes, Dusty, etc, he needs clear air

Reactions: 6 users
Why didn't he give MJ a run through the midfield after tearing it up in the last quarter the week before? This was the most recent example of not playing a player in position. I honestly think that was a missed opportunity. Give the lad a taste FFS before preseason.:unsure:

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
It's starting to become really frustrating to discuss things on PRE.

I have never said anything about Yze being a dud. And I don't have a dislike of him. I've not called for his head, nor suggested anything of the like.

It doesn't need to always be an all or nothing discussion. There have been a lot of missteps this year, alongside injury and retirements. The story is not one of, Yze should be fired, or we've done everything perfectly.

I think it's inarguable that we have a large number of players who have stagnated, gone backwards, or failed to develop this year. As someone who goes to pretty much every VFL and AFL game in Melbourne, and someone who educates professionally, I have to say that the way we're bringing our players into the squad is atrocious.

I would never get students to practice and drill a skill on their practice exams, then advise that they use a completely different one on test day. It's madness.

Yeah, you can say we shouldn't be judged on results this year, with good reason. But this is process, not results. As posted, the number of players who have trained one position, and been selected for another is not short.

K. Smith is the most egregious example. I'm still scratching my head over a kid who has smashed it at half back getting the double sub treatment amongst 2 and a half games playing at half forward.

We did something similar with Kane McAuliffe too. Both he and Smith fell away massively, even at VFL level after their AFL introductions. It just seems like awful development.

And if we were really coaching with the intent of not winning too many, why would we not prioritise the development of our kids over putting slotting I'll fitting puzzle pieces into a losing formula anyway?

Like if we had played Smith, Maurice, Ross, Sonsie, Kosi in the positions they played at reserves level, or Balta in the position he trained in over the whole preseason (or any position consistently) would we have had a worse season?

As for what we did in our premiership years, yeah we had better stars and depth. But we also had a flawless system. Bring another soldier in. Players in the 2's know their role and come in and play it. There's no reason you can't still do that.

And you could be creative with it too. Play Short on a wing to make space at half back. Play Taranto at Half forward, which he did at GWS to relative success. These are established players that could deal with a change rather than kids trying to make a start. And again, would we have had a worse season?

BTW Lefau played forward in the VFL.

Came in and played forward at AFL level.

One of Yze's biggest successes this year.
well said and your first few sentences are a common example on most forums where people start putting words in your mouth and miss the complete point of the discussion. Sometimes it's even i believe an attempt to derail the discussion because there's no valid counter argument. I really do agree it's puzzling how some of our kids are being developed. Sonsie and Smith were the two worst treated in my opinion.

This time next year will be interesting reading. :) Yze doesn't fill me with much confidence and I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Why didn't he give MJ a run through the midfield after tearing it up in the last quarter the week before? This was the most recent example of not playing a player in position. I honestly think that was a missed opportunity. Give the lad a taste FFS before preseason.:unsure:
I guess my main point of consternation is that these decisions feel shortsighted, rather than long term. You can justify them, absolutely. Can you realistically push Hopper and Taranto out of the middle for Ross and Maurice at their relative stages of career? Probably not, if you're playing to convention.

Can you do it when you're 18th on the ladder, in round 24, when your average losing margin is 6 goals anyway? Absolutely.

Huh.

Just wondering. Maybe we thought it would get us the win.

Agreed but not many clubs get to pop the nitro-boost like Mad Max in the interceptor on a rebuild.

eight first rounders is a brutal start
Don’t know how many R1 we wind up with but like to kick a couple. 3 in 25 would be nice once Ooze and company know where we are at at end of next year

Like many the jury is still out on Yze on his coaching and game plan. The injuries we got early and the attitude of some certainly impacted our performance resulting in a poor skill level on gameday, butchering the ball and giving easy turnovers. I am excited about next year and some new talent coming in including the likes of Caracella and Shane Dunne at the top end. I am grateful what Hardwick gave us but also very bitter the way he left us, once free of his influences I believe the new era will generate a much better environment on and off the field. Later next year the jury can come in and I wish and hope Adam Yze is the man.

Reactions: 6 users
Like many the jury is still out on Yze on his coaching and game plan. The injuries we got early and the attitude of some certainly impacted our performance resulting in a poor skill level on gameday, butchering the ball and giving easy turnovers. I am excited about next year and some new talent coming in including the likes of Caracella and Shane Dunne at the top end. I am grateful what Hardwick gave us but also very bitter the way he left us, once free of his influences I believe the new era will generate a much better environment on and off the field. Later next year the jury can come in and I wish and hope Adam Yze is the man.
I want to hope Yze is the man but I doubt it.

We’ll see if there’s an improvement in our game style next year. Hopefully we focus on list strengths and not employ a game plan the list isn’t capable of delivering.

I want to hope Yze is the man but I doubt it.

We’ll see if there’s an improvement in our game style next year. Hopefully we focus on list strengths and not employ a game plan the list isn’t capable of delivering.
When your 18th i dont think you should focus on list strengths. you pick the game plan then recruit players to play it.

Geez I wonder how the board sold the job to Adem last year.
Ex players in Buckley and Cotchin bringing bottles of Grange to an interview/ anointment meeting.
Adem was the man, the choice.
The exhaustive, not your usual process it was reported came up with Adems name.
Since the CEO gone, was Adem informed this was happening.
Players wanting out, performance manager gone.
It seems the club has inhaled its own hubris since 2020 or since the ex coach decided he’d splinter the club with a dalliance with an employee.
Decision was made for the ex coach to remain after much consternation.
But the damage was done internally.

Reactions: 5 users
Geez I wonder how the board sold the job to Adem last year.
Ex players in Buckley and Cotchin bringing bottles of Grange to an interview/ anointment meeting.
Adem was the man, the choice.
The exhaustive, not your usual process it was reported came up with Adems name.
Since the CEO gone, was Adem informed this was happening.
Players wanting out, performance manager gone.
It seems the club has inhaled its own hubris since 2020 or since the ex coach decided he’d splinter the club with a dalliance with an employee.
Decision was made for the ex coach to remain after much consternation.
But the damage was done internally.
Don't say that because people got blinkers on it's all Yze fault. Yze inherited a mess problems we're there way before he arrived. Football department and hierarchy no accountability.

Will be the scape goat after 2025 and 2026 spoons then our next flag coach will be appointed

Reactions: 1 users
Will be the scape goat after 2025 and 2026 spoons then our next flag coach will be appointed
I agree with this take.

I think too much focus has been put on Yze who I would bet has been dealing with a shocking internal culture left over by Dimma. I think Dimma was toxic AF by the time he departed.

This is when you need Neil Balme to sort a few out.
God, I miss him already.

• Sad