Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Well spoken Riddles. I don't think anyone is saying get rid of Yze. What they are saying is we need to see the direction he is trying to take us.
I would hazard a guess most supporters currently have nfi what he is trying to achieve or where he is trying to take us.

Personally i'm really worried that real simple basics of the game are not apparent and we are continually all over the shop regards structure and system.
The total lack of seniors having to be accountable for really shitty games week on end is mind boggling. What an easy way to destroy club culture.
Agreed but it has been hard to drop senior players due to massive amount of injuries.

Anyway we need to see where we are at this time next year. Need to see a lot better than we’ve put up last few weeks.

Looking at it another way, if it is some older players not buying in the clock is ticking for them.

Once we have a full list they buy in or leave or play VFL.

Furious how will he NOT survive?

Club is fully invested and stable.

Media narrative will be ‘look at all those picks, club is now a crèche’

If we nail a good draft haul we will be Hawthorn from a few years back.

No way Yze gets heat. It’s all in peoples heads.
History says he probably wont survive long term, very few if any coaches that are appointed at the beginning of a rebuild survive to see the fruits of there labor, I hope we have the stability at the top to allow him to build a new team surrounded with the best supporting crew we can muster but history says that probably wont happen..

Reactions: 2 users
We had to save our skins by shaking tins it got so bad. The Carlton FC ran a charity game for us. We can’t even get our development going because money isn’t there. Don’t tell me my take is bad as it’s real.

Fair point, but that was a long time ago.

Wetting the bed because of one terrible season isn't my style and I'd suggest seeing what Yze and the recruiting department come with before you move into full-blown panic mode.

Reactions: 5 users
History says he probably wont survive long term, very few if any coaches that are appointed at the beginning of a rebuild survive to see the fruits of there labor, I hope we have the stability at the top to allow him to build a new team surrounded with the best supporting crew we can muster but history says that probably wont happen..
Dimma did but he already had Cotch, Jack, Rance and Edwards who were starting to build their careers and also picked up someone who was destined to become the greatest big game player of all time. Not a bad hand.

Yze has none of that. He may get some of it this off season it it’s a big ask. He will most likely get his 3 years but he is well up against it in the long term.

Reactions: 3 users
Dimma did but he already had Cotch, Jack, Rance and Edwards who were starting to build their careers and also picked up someone who was destined to become the greatest big game player of all time. Not a bad hand.

Yze has none of that. He may get some of it this off season it it’s a big ask. He will most likely get his 3 years but he is well up against it in the long term.
Yes.

And probably shouldn't make any ridiculous pre season predictions as he did this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair point, but that was a long time ago.

Wetting the bed because of one terrible season isn't my style and I'd suggest seeing what Yze and the recruiting department come with before you move into full-blown panic mode.
Nobody is wetting the bed, but it’s obvious that people won’t go to games or pay for memberships if if if improvements are not witnessed. It’s been terrible viewing and ive lost count how many times we’ve kicked under 60 points this year. We can use injuries as an excuse , but some of fans won’t buy into it in the end . Were the patient ones, but if if if 15% of members drop off at an average of $200 a pop that’s 3 million in revenue lost, plus attendance money and memorabilia.
Coaches don’t last if improvements aren’t seen as people are as you say bed wetters as money is tight nowadays. I give him until next year before a true decision can be made on him. I wanted mini to stay because the players respected him and we weren’t in a list position for a new coach as it was going to be a tough gig.

Agreed but it has been hard to drop senior players due to massive amount of injuries.

Anyway we need to see where we are at this time next year. Need to see a lot better than we’ve put up last few weeks.
I think bottom 2 again next year.

Have a look at the delistings and the continued ageing of vets we will keep. We can draft as many kids as we like but the real key to any rebuild is a lot of patience. The impact of any kids we draft well the expectation should be minimal.

For me its not the vets fault in the main anyway. It has been the utter failure of the next tier down to be able to take over.
We have few top end players in this range and are basically forced to trade out some of them thru need because we just have to access the draft in a big way.

I think we are in for more pain than what people want to admit.

Some fair points there General. But you will recall the first game against GC where we were uncompetitive; particularly first half. Did not augur well…….

But if the injuries are the main reason for our freefall, and it certainly is a major contributor, then why would said senior players not hang around to try and help push as back up the ladder next year when hopefully the injury crisis abates?

There is a bit of truth in what you say but also has to be some truth in what I believe is that many of the players are not buying Yze’s vision. And you’re right I am pissed off at how far we have fallen and how quickly. It is completely unacceptable to be heading for the worst season in our history a mere 4 years after winning a 3rd flag in 4 seasons. We should be better than that. It appears the club as whole got quite complacent and completely overrated where the list was at; even Yze. Top 4 my arse.

It’s gonna be a long road back and he will now get his chance to implement his own roadmap. How long he gets to do it remains to be seen. Whatever we can’t be seeing these type of performances this time next year. We need to be a lot more competitive and actually look like an AFL standard team. Right now we do not look like that.

Rebuild a winning culture. *smile* this playing for pick 1 *smile* like it’s some sort of panacea. How’s Carlton looking 17-20 years after the great tank? How many flags?
I agree with some of that too mate.

The key difference was the club thought we'd be doing a rebuild on the run. Now the inside word is we're going conventional rebuild. So, some of the older guys are opting out.

Injuries a part. I'm wondering what else has changed for the club...maybe a lack of confidence in the 21 draft? Gibcus & Clarke unable to get healthy. Sonsie is stinking the place up. I'd say we'd planned for 1 miss out of the 5 at least, 3 is diabolical.

Maybe across the list, we dont have the skills to play Yze's style? So if your future is stamped as surplus to needs, you disconnect? I dunno, speculation on my part.

There's concerns, but it's not as bad as it seems...yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I think bottom 2 again next year.

Have a look at the delistings and the continued ageing of vets we will keep. We can draft as many kids as we like but the real key to any rebuild is a lot of patience. The impact of any kids we draft well the expectation should be minimal.

For me its not the vets fault in the main anyway. It has been the utter failure of the next tier down to be able to take over.
We have few top end players in this range and are basically forced to trade out some of them thru need because we just have to access the draft in a big way.

I think we are in for more pain than what people want to admit.
It’s hard to see how we won’t be bottom 2. But as much as it hurts I don’t mind so much as long as we can see some direction and improvement and hope for the future. That is not tangible on the field right now.

I agree with some of that too mate.

The key difference was the club thought we'd be doing a rebuild on the run. Now the inside word is we're going conventional rebuild. So, some of the older guys are opting out.

Injuries a part. I'm wondering what else has changed for the club...maybe a lack of confidence in the 21 draft? Gibcus & Clarke unable to get healthy. Sonsie is stinking the place up. I'd say we'd planned for 1 miss out of the 5 at least, 3 is diabolical.

Maybe across the list, we dont have the skills to play Yze's style? So if your future is stamped as surplus to needs, you disconnect? I dunno, speculation on my part.

There's concerns, but it's not as bad as it seems...yet.
Yeah but blind Freddy can see we need a complete rebuild. We’re shithouse. What lead them to think we could rebuild on the run? How did they get it so wrong? Overrate the list so badly. Yes injuries but it’s more than that.

Some of the people that made these decisions are still there. Hartley, Livingstone etc. They will get a chance to make amends but Samson Ryan 3 year extension sets off alarm bells. Completely unnecessary. Tough road ahead. Interesting times. Crucial off season coming up.

Reactions: 4 users
Nobody is wetting the bed, but it’s obvious that people won’t go to games or pay for memberships if if if improvements are not witnessed. It’s been terrible viewing and ive lost count how many times we’ve kicked under 60 points this year. We can use injuries as an excuse , but some of fans won’t buy into it in the end . Were the patient ones, but if if if 15% of members drop off at an average of $200 a pop that’s 3 million in revenue lost, plus attendance money and memorabilia.
Coaches don’t last if improvements aren’t seen as people are as you say bed wetters as money is tight nowadays. I give him until next year before a true decision can be made on him. I wanted mini to stay because the players respected him and we weren’t in a list position for a new coach as it was going to be a tough gig.

Clearly I've got a lot more faith in the club and Tiger supporters than you do.

Yeah but blind Freddy can see we need a complete rebuild. We’re shithouse. What lead them to think we could rebuild on the run? How did they get it so wrong? Overrate the list so badly. Yes injuries but it’s more than that.

Some of the people that made these decisions are still there. Hartley, Livingstone etc. They will get a chance to make amends but Samson Ryan 3 year extension sets off alarm bells. Completely unnecessary. Tough road ahead. Interesting times. Crucial off season coming up.
Hearing Livingstone being courted by Gold Coast....not sure my heart would break. He hired Meehan.

I’m tired of people calling for Yze’s head. We’ve had the worst season for injuries, our older players are past their prime, and we’ve had some bad recruiting. We’re a team in transition.

Yze doesn’t have the players to make a significant impact for a few years!!!!
Let’s not return to the bad old days of Richmond, changing coaches every couple of years. With all the ins and outs due to injuries, we aren’t a regular side. Other teams, with fewer injuries, know how to play as a cohesive unit; they understand their teammates’ moves. Our players don’t have that advantage.

We also have young players who should really be in the reserves, but they’re getting tired playing against experienced opponents. The team and coach are doing the best they can under the circumstances. With so many injuries and older players fading , we haven’t had the same team week in and week out. How can they gel?
We didn’t play our young players because we had four great years. Now, we get to see what they’re made of. We need to realize that it’s a change in game style, coaching staff, and personnel. Give the man a chance. He’s smart and will learn a lot from this season .

Remember, we finished second last in Hardwick’s first season, and he had barely any injuries. Rome wasn’t built in a day. With a full list, new recruits, and players in form, things can change in a season or three. Look at Hawthorn. The Hawks are doing well with Sammy Mitchell after a couple of seasons, and people doubted his coaching abilities too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I’m an optimist by nature. In Dimma’s first year when we were being labeled the worst team since Fitzroy, I wasn’t worried. I watched us. We played with ticker, a plan, and we had some young guns getting better quickly.

This time around? I’m older. I know life is not always easy.

In short, I’m not as confident. We are still playing with ticker. But, the plan? Young stars about to emerge? Both are big question marks…

Reactions: 10 users
I’m an optimist by nature. In Dimma’s first year when we were being labeled the worst team since Fitzroy, I wasn’t worried. I watched us. We played with ticker, a plan, and we had some young guns getting better quickly.

This time around? I’m older. I know life is not always easy.

In short, I’m not as confident. We are still playing with ticker. But, the plan? Young stars about to emerge? Both are big question marks…
We have not really had early enough picks to have the young stars coming threw, some of the ones we have look handy and others capable of being roll players ( and a few busts), the hope is this and next years draft deliver the next batch of young stars, and even if they do it will still be a grind for a few more years after that.

Reactions: 1 users