Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

What's concerning people is that it appears we are playing a high risk, low reward system. We need some indication that this will work with a rebuilt list.

No, we really don’t.

Why don’t you and Stig just wait and see?

EXCLUSIVE: Richmond part ways with assistant coach David Teague weeks out from season's end​

Tom Morris

Tom Morris
Updated July 29, 2024 - 8.34am. First published at 8.28am

1 / 19
Richmond and assistant coach David Teague have agreed to part ways, effective immediately.
9News can reveal the club's football boss Tim Livingstone notified the players following Sunday's loss to Collingwood at the MCG.
The decision was ultimately mutual. Teague was back at Punt Road post-game farewelling colleagues and players after almost three years at the club.

His departure allows the Tigers to promote a development coach, with either Kane Lambert or Sam Lonergan favoured to take charge of the forward-line portfolio.

For Teague, he can now explore other opportunities unencumbered by his day to day role in Adem Yze's set up.
Tigers assistant coach Davie Teague looks on before round two. Getty
Teague joined the club ahead of the 2022 season, with Damien Hardwick handing him the job of coaching the team's offensive strategies. In 2022 Richmond scored more points than any other side.
At the end of 2023, the club relieved the ex-Carlton coach of his offensive strategy duties and replaced him with Chris Newman.
It's understood Teague offered to help out with offence again across the last month of the season. The request was rejected, which led to the amicable conversation to part ways.
The decision was made before Sunday's game against Collingwood and while there was a sense of disappointment on Sunday night, there was no bad blood between the club and Teague.

The AFL Coaches' Association tells its members to "start looking" if they are out of contract on August 1. This mutual parting of ways allows Teague to do just this.
Teague first coached the Northern Bullants at the age of 26, before embarking on stints at West Coast, St Kilda, Adelaide and Carlton, where he took over the senior gig following Brendon Bolton's sacking and oversaw 50 matches.
At the Crows, Blues and Tigers in 2022, his offensive intellect was widely praised. The late Phil Walsh credited Teague for Adelaide's lethal front half scoring prowess in 2017, and even though his stint at Carlton didn't bring success, his team was unashamedly attacking.
Adem Yze, Senior Coach of the Tigers and David Teague, Assistant Coach of the Tigers are seen during training session. AFL Photos via Getty Images
The 43-year-old also assisted with the Bachar Houli Foundation this year, aiding young Islamic coaches and players.
The Tigers are expected to confirm Teague's departure as early as Monday.

Nearly impossible to comment on ‘how to coach’….
I have but one thought from watching yesterday - are the players specifically instructed to handball their way out of situations?
During the game the amount of pressure we put ourselves under with dinky little handballs and Pies players being 2 feet away….
and we were static when receiving the ball, not on the move…
our patterns looked like training ground, not match day ….

Reactions: 1 user
AI creating PRE content now and has been fed Cornes twitter feed and all of stigs posts.

• Haha
I have but one thought from watching yesterday - are the players specifically instructed to handball their way out of situations?
During the game the amount of pressure we put ourselves under with dinky little handballs and Pies players being 2 feet away….

Some of the training drills are very handpass focused. But it's to width, players moving and is definitely not static. The gameplan training drill is definitely not static. Yesterday's static approach was almost the opposite of how we train to play. That was poor. We seemed really reactive at times.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Also impossible to comment on "system or game plan". However, to your point furball, yesterday highlighted time and time again a lack of understanding of where, and what a team mate was going to do in certain situations. There is no team connect or confidence that a team mate is going to be in a certain spot or perform a certain action or role in certain situations. It's like they're all just going out there to "play footy" and thus, making it up on the fly.

There's also all these dinky kicks that lead to not much except to slow us down and risk turning the football over due to our poor foot skills. Then we compound this with a bunch of bombs to big packs when nobody is free..... like we cant at least find a one on one situation to go to sometimes ?

We're a mess in terms of our players connecting with one another during a game. Personally, I've noticed during the season the backline players especially getting very frustrated with each other after conceding a goal with a lot of hand waving, gesturing, head shaking etc between them all.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
The place is a mess. At least one domino has fallen. Let’s hope those in charge start putting the right people in place and begin making good decisions as we’ve been lacking in this area for quite some time.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the training drills are very handpass focused. But it's to width, players moving and is definitely not static. The gameplan training drill is definitely not static. Yesterday's static approach was almost the opposite of how we train to play. That was poor. We seemed really reactive at times.
My takeaway from watching at the G yesterday was also the reactionary way we played.
We were a team of spectators at most times who were slow to react. When we finally reacted we inevitably fumbled or chose the wrong option as we were always that split second slow. It seemed we were trying not to make mistakes.
The few times we moved proactively and quickly we easily split the pies open, but alas it was far too few times that actually happened.

Reactions: 3 users
Barrassi, Kennedy,Jeans and Haley combined would have got the same result with our forward stocks this year.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think any supporters are responding negatively just to our win/loss.

I've been to pretty much every Melbourne game this year. After the Sydney win, we have not ever looked like winning.

We've sometimes managed to be within 4 our 5 goals going into the 4th. But never with any real sense of possibility.

When we do score, it's through individual brilliance. When we concede, it looks like complete breakdown.

What's concerning people is that it appears we are playing a high risk, low reward system. We need some indication that this will work with a rebuilt list. We are sitting through games bored because it never feels like we're really in the contest. We're fighting tooth and nail to get close, while the opposition whistle and skip away.

Statistically our worst season in 60 years?

Yeah that's going to cause some consternation regardless of context.
100% - it’s not only hard to watch, but perplexing to try & understand what it is we’re trying to do.

Dummies out of the cot because Yze can’t work miracles with the list

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The loss of key people is having a huge effect.
So many key people gone or leaving.
The club needs the new CEO first, to steady the ship.
Plenty of good players, but without direction and stability hard to improve.
Next year will seee the rebuild.

My takeaway from watching at the G yesterday was also the reactionary way we played.
We were a team of spectators at most times who were slow to react. When we finally reacted we inevitably fumbled or chose the wrong option as we were always that split second slow. It seemed we were trying not to make mistakes.
The few times we moved proactively and quickly we easily split the pies open, but alas it was far too few times that actually happened.
Better said than me. Agree fully.

Bomber blitz has more depressing threads / throat slitting / not renewing my membership / everyone in charge is useless / almost every player doesn't care / we don't develop properly / we don't recruit properly etc. threads

We need to be better than Essendon supporters. Accountability is fine but when you basically play everyone on your list, have a rotating list on in/out players, have some generational players retire/near retirement and probably many playing with injury people expecting miracles is deluded. A lack of connectivity is not surprising - in a 5 player basketball team just one person changing can unbalance everything - i can't imagine 5 or 6 changing in a 22 player team - it's no wonder teams at the top of the ladder have good runs with injuries, their best players not injured and 14 or 15 players who basically play every game. 2 wins sucks in the short term for sure.

In 2019 we were BOG ordinary when we had injuries in the first third of the season ... does everyone forget? Was Hardwick a dud in first half 2019 and triple premiership coach in the last third of 2019?

Capture.PNG

• Love
Reactions: 14 users