Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Crazy
We were the blueprint of how to run a sucessful club.
now we are a basketcase.
This is the question that needs answering and why I think it’s time for another review.

Barely two years ago Gale came out publicly and said that they wanted to rebuild on the run like Geelong and not go down to the bottom like Hawthorn. Since then we’ve probably won less games than we did premierships between 2017-2021. How did they get it so wrong?

Reactions: 3 users
The biggest problem for me is that on top of Yze, the hierarchy lacks leadership.

Gale checked out he can't come out and tell us what's gone wrong, what the clubs plans, reviews, standards, etc, in the future. He should have gone. Both him and club had ample time to get a replacement.

Livingstone has no accountability, yet his running the day to day football department, and so many mistakes have happened in the last 3 seasons.

Our president, I'd like to hear a lot more from him in our present situation.

Then best footy guru in the business was told your finished end of year Balme. Yet still wanted to go on even as a part time basis. Puzzling decision that.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
This is the question that needs answering and why I think it’s time for another review.

Barely two years ago Gale came out publicly and said that they wanted to rebuild on the run like Geelong and not go down to the bottom like Hawthorn. Since then we’ve probably won less games than we did premierships between 2017-2021. How did they get it so wrong?

Maybe I am naive, or just a ridiculous optimist. But, I am not too fussed by our position on the ladder - the margins are small between up and down, there are numerous examples of this, and the fact we beat the Swans and should have won by more is another indicator of this.

Plus, I think these factors are relevant -

- people gloss over the injuries after a while. We have played every player on the list, that is rare. I am yet to see any team be successful when copping what we copped - it not only impacts who we can physically have on the park, but it mentally impacts the group when the hits keep coming.

In one week we lost Taranto and Ross during the week, then Juddy Clarke did an ACL on the Saturday of the same week - we got smashed that Sunday, maybe was the Doggies game?? And I think MRJ was good that game, and did his ankle right at the end?? WTAF

This was on top of having BALTA, BAKER and LYNCH out for a fair while in that period. It was unbelievable. We lost Lynch and Balta within 5 minutes of the end of the Swans game
BALTA, Taranto, Ross and Baker had been our best against Swans
Then a shining light - LeFau does an ACL. WTAF

- now when times get tough like this, is wen the remaining senior players can step and hold the joint together, but once they become aware we are not going to challenge or play finals, and have won 2 and 3 premierships, it gets herd to keep fighting just to compete, it's human nature. It can be argued this is not good enough - I accept that - but it is why I think we can bounce and bounce High.

- further, we seem to be copping teams when they are right in form, and with few if any injuries - Dockers, Hawks and more

- after many years of 9thMond. I think the Club now gets it, and so should we. It's contend, or prepare to contend.

After experiencing that Dynasty, in the words of Eddie Wilson from Eddie and The Cruisers - 'if you can't be great, then there is no point in ever playing football again Sal'

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Maybe I am naive, or just a ridiculous optimist. But, I am not too fussed by our position on the ladder - the margins are small between up and down, there are numerous examples of this, and the fact we beat the Swans and should have won by more is another indicator of this.

Plus, I think these factors are relevant -

- people gloss over the injuries after a while. We have played every player on the list, that is rare. I am yet to see any team be successful when copping what we copped - it not only impacts who we can physically have on the park, but it mentally impacts the group when the hits keep coming.

In one week we lost Taranto and Ross during the week, then Juddy Clarke did an ACL on the Saturday of the same week - we got smashed that Sunday, maybe was the Doggies game?? And I think MRJ was good that game, and did his ankle right at the end?? WTAF

This was on top of having BALTA, BAKER and LYNCH out for a fair while in that period. It was unbelievable. We lost Lynch and Balta within 5 minutes of the end of the Swans game
BALTA, Taranto, Ross and Baker had been our best against Swans
Then a shining light - LeFau does an ACL. WTAF

- now when times get tough like this, is wen the remaining senior players can step and hold the joint together, but once they become aware we are not going to challenge or play finals, and have won 2 and 3 premierships, it gets herd to keep fighting just to compete, it's human nature. It can be argued this is not good enough - I accept that - but it is why I think we can bounce and bounce High.

- further, we seem to be copping teams when they are right in form, and with few if any injuries - Dockers, Hawks and more

- after many years of 9thMond. I think the Club now gets it, and so should we. It's contend, or prepare to contend.

After experiencing that Dynasty, in the words of Eddie Wilson from Eddie and The Cruisers - 'if you can't be great, then there is no point in ever playing football again Sal'
Whilst we could argue about the detail I generally agree. There is a lot of second guessing going on about people in the administration that punters like us would have no idea about.

Tim Livingstone is the same person who was footy manager when we won 3 flags, Blair Hartley is the same person who delivered us a dynasty list. There is no reason to suspect that Benny Gale is doing anything but trying to leave the RFC in the best shape he can given the circumstances.

Their true test ( Benny excluded) is whether they can use the fantastic foundations built over years to rebuild us on field.

One thing I definitely agree with is that the gap between top and bottom is the smallest it has ever been. I personally don't think the situation is as dire as many make out and I have seen enough of the young cubs to think we are going to get 4-5 excellent AFL players out of this adversity.

whether we like it or not I am 100% sure Yze will be the coach for at least this year and a few more to the end of his contract. The club will back him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Keep dreaming folks. He’s a dud
So was Hardwick until halfway thru 2017. Every other side wingeing n moaning about their injury list n so cant win the games they should. When talking of Tiges with unprecedented injuries it's all about coach can't coach, Richmond falling off the cliff etc etc. How long b4 we are saying " thankfully didn't *smile* on the coach n gave him the chance to show what his made of.. with team success not too far away. A full list will put a smile on a few faces

Reactions: 7 users
Just my 2 cents :

This off season will defy Yze coaching tenure with our club. He needs to make strong list changes but also surround himself with his own assistant coaches he has had 1 year to oversee everything he can control starting from day 1 of preseason this year this will be is his list and Coaches.

Yze / Blair & Tim need to make strong and bold decisions about where our list is at similar to what Sam Mitchell did at the end of his 1st year as coach of the Hawks ( look at them now) this club needs some stronger direction and some hard decisions on players, honest communication to us as supports about the road ahead they cannot come out and say that we plan to play finals next year we are in a re build period honest conversations need to be had with players such as Short / Rioli as if they are not committed to the rebuild then we should accommodate a fair trade as it would be a win / win for both parties.

The new CEO / Board need to do a full review of the high performance team and make the necessary changes as we cannot have another year with same amount of injuries this is now 2 years in a row where our season has been ruined by injuries.

As a 30 member I have felt like there is a real flatness about this club and a real lack of direction and communication. We cannot shy away from the next 12-24 we need strong people making the tough calls otherwise if those calls are not made then we will continue to be in the wilderness for quiet some time !

Reactions: 5 users
As a 30 member I have felt like there is a real flatness about this club and a real lack of direction and communication.
I get that is the way some feel Nafe but I don't feel that at all. Since Benny Gale arrived and right through the Peggy O'Neill times the thing that was consistent with the club was that we didn't react to outside noise. Dimma did a few times when he got grumpy but in general we just got on with business and ignored what the pundits said in terms of influencing us. It's one of the reasons the trash media don't really like us because we don't feed them.

I think that is what is happening now, we are just getting on with business and the club will do what they do. It is way the club rolls now. Personally I like it better than the old days when we seemed to knee jerk to everything.

As for communication I am not sure what you want? Do we need the president coming out talking about our plans, or Blair Hartley saying there will be list changes? I don't but we are all different of course.

Reactions: 19 users
As a 30 member I have felt like there is a real flatness about this club and a real lack of direction and communication. We cannot shy away from the next 12-24 we need strong people making the tough calls otherwise if those calls are not made then we will continue to be in the wilderness for quite some time !
I agree. My theory is we bought too far into Dimma’s cult of personality. Too much stock was placed into him by the fanbase.

Now not only has he left abruptly, but he has left us with one hell of a mess. Creating a vacuum after a long tenure was perhaps inevitable, but then you add to that vacuum the need for a major clean up job - it’s a huge task.

The final aspect is Yze is a different personality to Dimma. He comes across differently. Those conditioned to a decade of Hardwick are struggling with the way Yze articulates his ideas.

Like you, I’m reserving judgement until seeing how the off season goes. I sincerely hope Yze can be his own man and be ruthless - it’s the only way out of this mess.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree. My theory is we bought too far into Dimma’s cult of personality. Too much stock was placed into him by the fanbase.

Now not only has he left abruptly, but he has left us with one hell of a mess. Creating a vacuum after a long tenure was perhaps inevitable, but then you add to that vacuum the need for a major clean up job - it’s a huge task.

The final aspect is Yze is a different personality to Dimma. He comes across differently. Those conditioned to a decade of Hardwick are struggling with the way Yze articulates his ideas.

Like you, I’m reserving judgement until seeing how the off season goes. I sincerely hope Yze can be his own man and be ruthless - it’s the only way out of this mess.
Post of the day.

For the vast majority of the year, at least 9 of the best starting 18 have been on the injured list. Different players sure, but still a significant number. Mostly some of our best.
Show me ANY other team that would be much better than us under the same circumstances. It wouldn't matter who was coaching us, they'd have still struggled to do any better.

Ooze has time on his side & hopefully a new & better S & C team to help him.

Reactions: 6 users
'Best performer in football media'

A football media shock jock; he's a pass for me
I think he was equivocal in what he said on Cornes. He said there was a lot he said that he didn't agree with but he is the best performer in the media. The emphasis was on performer and that is exactly what Cornes is. He is not a serious pundit, he is a performer playing a role as a footy shock jock and he is very good at it.

What Harf says about Yze is exactly right and there are plenty on this site who would do well to listen imo.

Reactions: 11 users
I think he was equivocal in what he said on Cornes. He said there was a lot he said that he didn't agree with but he is the best performer in the media. The emphasis was on performer and that is exactly what Cornes is. He is not a serious pundit, he is a performer playing a role as a footy shock jock and he is very good at it.

What Harf says about Yze is exactly right and there are plenty on this site who would do well to listen imo.
I agree. He wasn't saying Cornes was accurate or right.

I got the feeling he was talking about attracting an audience and creating topics of conversation. Not about him being intelligent or important to discussion.

Reactions: 6 users

I agree, which is why I highlighted the word performer.

Cornes is so transparent in what he’s doing it’s unbelievable that people give him the time of day.

Reactions: 3 users

The main vacuum is zero players to choose from - no Gibcus or Lynch for 2 years on top of every other injury this year

The main vacuum is zero players to choose from - no Gibcus or Lynch for 2 years on top of every other injury this year
The quality and the sheer quantity.

We had 4 AFL listed players in our vfl side last weekend. 3 of them had been MSD picks (Coulthard, Blight, Bauer) and the other was a category B rookie.

For the all the statements about not using injuries as an excuse the fact is they are definitely part of the reason. I have been a Tiger supporter since the days of Hart and Bartlett and I have never seen anything like this .

Reactions: 14 users