Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

And you're assuming this hasn't happened? Have you gone to training to watch or just assuming and criticising?
General, I came to this by watching the way our team has played over the last 17 games.

You being a connoisseur of the game must be frustrated at our lack of playing to a plan with structure?

Then please stop posting it, champ.
So you like Sonsie as an AFL player do you ?
Seeing you cut and pasted one line of my post
You can’t even have an open unbiased discussion on the other topics but you come back with insults
Spare me

General, I came to this by watching the way our team has played over the last 17 games.

You being a connoisseur of the game must be frustrated at our lack of playing to a plan with structure?
Of course. But I don't think it's because Yze isn't training it out.

Every first year coach has some troubles with folks adapting to their game plan, until around the half way mark. Then it starts to click (see GwS '23 for example).
Given the lack of continuity in our playing group, I could see exactly why we're struggling to get things looking cohesive. We've had 20ish players injured at times. Try do match simulations with those numbers. Just isn't going to happen.

What I am seeing though is most weeks, especially when we have a few senior players back, we stay competitive for most of the game. When we've got more juniors, that drops off faster.

With our list Yze is going to have a battle for the next couple of years. Hardwick knew that was coming, which is why he bailed. But I think this guy can coach. We've seen elements of it throughout the year. He'll get better, even if our list won't.

Reactions: 10 users
So you like Sonsie as an AFL player do you ?
Seeing you cut and pasted one line of my post
You can’t even have an open unbiased discussion on the other topics but you come back with insults
Spare me
I'm not wrapped with his output right now, no. But think it's part of his development. One that'll probably see him play midfield in the rezzies in the next game.

I'm not gonna panic over 2 weeks here or 3 there. He's contracted until the end of next year. If the graph doesn't go up by this time next year, there won't be a 26.

If we dropped everyone who wasn't performing to optimum levels this year, at times we'd have run out with 15 people.

Yze had a game plan today and if not for some basic skill errors and Toby Greene it may well have worked.
What was crystal clear was that the plan was to stifle the uncontested marks of the giants. This required our players to work incredibly hard off the ball.
At times they got their ball movement going but we stuck at it. 84 marks to 72 and that difference only grew as the players tired.
We actually got a lot of turnover ball but we just don’t have the polish to execute and they did.
However, there is no doubt watching the game live that there was a plan and the players definitely bought in.
Yze coached well today
Btw. It’s hard to see this on TV. Live in the stands it was very evident.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Too early to judge on Yze, but for goodness sake you can’t have Kmac and Sonsie in the forward line. We are already carrying Baker who looks disinterested. I had to laugh at one stage when after a goal was kicked Sonsie, Kosi, Kmac, Baker, Shai & Mansell all in a huddle, what on earth could they possibly be talking about. Gee we miss Jack.

No excuses. Geelong’s youth come in and smash their role. They also have guys in their line up older than ours. We cut our recruring, coaching and development stuff far too much slack at times.

Reactions: 1 users
Contrary to some on here I'd much prefer Yze to coach from the coaches box. Send Newman or one of the other assistants down to the bench.

Yze has long been praised for his tactical acumen. It's much harder if not impossible to exploit this from ground level. You need to be elevated to see the ground in totality and what the opposition is doing etc.

So apart from a horrific injury list, some senior players who are just going at the minute and some inexperienced players who may or may not be up to it, we are taking away his one wood (tactical nouse). Not sure how you can make any judgements on a coach under these circumstances.

Good for you
Let’s see what happens today
My opinion he can’t coach
Have you ever thought he may not be able to coach ?
Seriously
He might be a Bernie Quinlan or a Royce Hart ?
If you looked at things unbiased
You would see things a lot different
75 % of posters on here are completely biased and one eyed
As for Banks Seriously
Haaarrgh. You could be right n you could also be totally wrong.
First year in the job and not only has he found himself with a large group of old, tired and injury prone players as the core of his list. There's a whole group of youngsters sadly under exposed and under developed now trying to step up under a *smile* storm of injury issues all year long.
Quite simply Ouzo gets a leave pass for this season purely because he's been handed a massive *smile* sandwich to deal with.
Far as I'm concerned the coach is nearly irrelevant this year. First the list needs a clean up and overhaul, then Ouzo needs to get the hands dirty n put his stamp on the players and game plan.

Reactions: 3 users
Contrary to some on here I'd much prefer Yze to coach from the coaches box. Send Newman or one of the other assistants down to the bench.

Yze has long been praised for his tactical acumen. It's much harder if not impossible to exploit this from ground level. You need to be elevated to see the ground in totality and what the opposition is doing etc.

So apart from a horrific injury list, some senior players who are just going at the minute and some inexperienced players who may or may not be up to it, we are taking away his one wood (tactical nouse). Not sure how you can make any judgements on a coach under these circumstances.
Got a feeling tactical nouse is fairly irrelevant when your players best skill is butchering their ball use and constantly handing the ball back to the opposition

Very unbiased
Wasn’t a Hardwick fan until they sack all the assistants and pulled him into line at the end of 2016
And wasn’t a Hardwick fan at the end of 2022 either
Many had left the club
So, not a fan of Hardwick until he started winning flags then not a fan of Hardwick when he stopped winning flags. Reckon you use the same thought process regarding the entire club. Only a fan on grand final day, but only if we win.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yze had a game plan today and if not for some basic skill errors and Toby Greene it may well have worked.
What was crystal clear was that the plan was to stifle the uncontested marks of the giants. This required our players to work incredibly hard off the ball.
At times they got their ball movement going but we stuck at it. 84 marks to 72 and that difference only grew as the players tired.
We actually got a lot of turnover ball but we just don’t have the polish to execute and they did.
However, there is no doubt watching the game live that there was a plan and the players definitely bought in.
Yze coached well today
Btw. It’s hard to see this on TV. Live in the stands it was very evident.

One thing I have noticed a lot this year is our deficit on uncontested possessions. Not only is this our inability to keep possession with passes, it is our inability to prevent the opposition from spreading and getting lots of uncontested possessions.

But today at half time I think we were either close or ahead in uncontested possessions. We lost them in the second half from memory but it made us a lot more competitive.

The thing is we don't get many cheap possessions and our opposition do and this makes it very hard to take the ball quickly into our forward line and score.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
No, he isn't a Mitchell.
Team selections are still a major concern.
How Graham and Baker get selected in front of McCouglan is just ridiculous.
Not sure what the love affair he has selecting Sony every week. When he dosent do sweet FA.
They liked Quack Quack, the committee shouldve just kept him.
At least Quack Quack had them playing with hunger and desire.
Yze will be gone by October next year.
This can't continue, players wanting to leave and the ones staying playing like crap.
Where's the game plan?

• Haha
So, not a fan of Hardwick until he started winning flags then not a fan of Hardwick when he stopped winning flags. Reckon you use the same thought process regarding the entire club. Only a fan on grand final day, but only if we win.
Reality was he was getting the sack at the end of 2016 and left the place in a mess during 2023
The decision to sack all of his assistants at the end of 2016 including close friends was a huge turning point
Seems like the supporters have dropped off as well with 19,040 attending yesterday
Footy is ordinary to watch

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed a lot this year is our deficit on uncontested possessions. Not only is this our inability to keep possession with passes, it is our inability to prevent the opposition from spreading and getting lots of uncontested possessions.

But today at half time I think we were either close or ahead in uncontested possessions. We lost them in the second half from memory but it made us a lot more competitive.

The thing is we don't get many cheap possessions and our opposition do and this makes it very hard to take the ball quickly into our forward line and score.

DS
We did a very decent job at it. Ooze said in his presser when he was asked about their transition from back half that it wasn't the problem, it was turnovers between the arcs that were the issue!

It is frustrating to watch when we get turnovers and we don't take advantage and the opposition does .

After 17 games I've come to the conclusion the answer to the question can Yze coach is.......

NO.

We have no plans for -

Each game
Ball movement
Structure

Now before you brightsiders winge about our injury list, just think what real coaches do. They have a structure and game plan and whoever gets selected knows that structure and game plan. If kids come in they know exactly what is required of them in the position they are selected to conform to the structure and the game plan.

The current Richmond team has no bloody idea. All players are like rabbits in the head lights, totally overwhelmed and lost.

The structure and game plan should have been taught in the pre season and stuck with all year. Every player should know it like he knows the palm of his hand. It should be instinctive, and completed without thought.

Now Yze, might be a good coach if he had players like the list at Melbourne but any mug can look good coaching good players. A great coach gets honest and good results from mediocre players. They never win a flag but they at least look like a team with a purpose.

Richmond does not look like a team with a purpose. Therefore, I am sad to say the Yze cannot coach (at the moment and maybe never). But then again Hardwick was the same until his trip to the USA which turned his coaching style right around and won our club 3 flags.

Hope Yze has a similar epiphany.
Wat

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yze is coaching a poor team lacking in confidence as well as he can.

Watching the game yesterday, so many possession chains broke down with skill errors.

Anyone who has played footy knows that when you lack confidence and cohesion as a side you can be made to look silly with ball in hand.

Yze will have a tactical blueprint, you can depend on that. I believe he has been told to simply implement it rain hail or shine, and that is the correct call.

Nothing to see here unless Yze has us bottom of the ladder in 2027.

Then I will lift the pitchfork.

But it won’t happen because he is a capable coach and the list will begin serious redevelopment this year.

These musings are elementary and should go without saying. But PRE will PRE

Reactions: 13 users
Our 3 time premiership coach jumped ship when it was aware it was going to sink.

Give Yze the leagues pets Suns list of top 10 picks & see how he was to go.

To top it off an ordinary list has been crippled bu injuries.

Reactions: 2 users
Yze is coaching a poor team lacking in confidence as well as he can.

Watching the game yesterday, so many possession chains broke down with skill errors.

Anyone who has played footy knows that when you lack confidence and cohesion as a side you can be made to look silly with ball in hand.

Yze will have a tactical blueprint, you can depend on that. I believe he has been told to simply implement it rain hail or shine, and that is the correct call.

Nothing to see here unless Yze has us bottom of the ladder in 2027.

Then I will lift the pitchfork.

But it won’t happen because he is a capable coach and the list will begin serious redevelopment this year.

These musings are elementary and should go without saying. But PRE will PRE
It is frustrating to watch at times because we do a lot right.

There was a lot of contested situations yesterday because although the game was played without rain the ground was soft, and we won our fair share of them. So many times we would start a chain of possession and the timing of the runner was off, a handball was not quite perfect or a short kick was poorly executed. I am sure it is as frustrating for the players and coaches as it was for the spectators.

Confidence in ball movement is very low, you can see it, but we kept on trying to do it and that is a positive.

Reactions: 6 users